Waiving vs. Not Waiving my right to see the LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermhopefully

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the ERAS LOR cover sheet.....

Does waiving vs not waiving my right to see my LOR make a difference in any way? Should I not waive any of them? Will it make a difference to PDs if they know I haven't waived?

Members don't see this ad.

On the ERAS LOR cover sheet.....

Does waiving vs not waiving my right to see my LOR make a difference in any way? Should I not waive any of them? Will it make a difference to PDs if they know I haven't waived?

I was told the correct way to approach this is to ALWAYS waive your right to see the LOR.

This one is an absolute. There is nothing more important about your LOR than making sure that you waive your right to see it. If you do not waive, then PD will know that you didn't waive the right, and will become suspicious about your reasons. It inherently means that you don't trust the physician to write you a good letter sight-unseen, and that the letter isn't a true representation of your abilities.

So make sure that your writer can write you an excellent letter: (Dr. X, would you be willing to write me and "outstanding letter of recommendation" ) In most cases if they can't make it outstanding/excellent then they will decline and you should search elsewhere for a better letter.

Also, if you find an excellent writer, they may send you a copy on the sly (a violation), or if you interview at a certain few programs (which will remain nameless) you will probably get to see the letter anyway because they include it in your packet of materials on the interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
You must waive your right to see the LOR.

Yes, there are a few programs at which you will see your LOR on interview day (no names), so chances are, you will see it at some point.

If you have to even *question* waiving your right to see the LOR, do NOT ask that attending for a letter.

Absolutely waive it, otherwise it's not technically an unbiased letter. I think the way they told it to us was that your recommendation letter writer can still voluntarily offer to show it to you or something but at least they're not writing knowing that you'll be able to see it even if they didn't want you to.

i just hate how people ASSUME there are problems by you wanting to see what people have to say about you. why should you waive any sort of rights? people have a real backwards way of viewing things. wouldnt you like to see nice things people have written about you or at least have that option?

waive !!!! ive heard that unwaived letters are NOT considered equally as waived letters, because of the unconstrained/unbiased/honest environment the letter writer has.
just ask ur person in charge of letters to pick the ones they would choose i suppose