Wake Forest Med School Reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raptor

Found one
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
i have heard of all the medical school reputations except wake forest. how is their medical school. is it considered a good medical school or less then caliber. what do you all feel about this med school. pros and cons accepted.
- RAPTOR

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't in the top 50? I think it has a good rep.....and they added a required spanish course to their med curriculum which caused some controversy on SDN a few months ago. :wink: I didn't apply because I had never heard of it, but I would have if I had known more about it at the time.

Foxy, congrats on your exceptance to UF med school. Why would adding a required spanish class cause a controversy. I think that that course will benefit in the future with the rise of spanish-speaking people. So, it is in the top 50. Cool
Ok, anybody else have any pros/cons about wake forest. how about people that attend wake forest med school

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it's damn expensive. Part of the interview day was a financial aid+financial COUNSELING session. I'd pick a state school over it in a heartbeat. Oh...also, they make you buy an expensive laptop (everyone is supposed to get the same kind) because you get your coursework and notes on the computer.

in NC (i can't vouch for other states), Wake Forest has a very good reputation. It is a top-50 school, and you do have to buy a computer (although I believe you're given the choice btw a laptop and a desktop, but i could be wrong). it is expensive. from what i hear they incorporate a good amount of PBL into their classes, and all the students that I've talked to are very happy there. It's also cheap to live in winston-salem, and you get ACC-basketball-- can't beat ACC basketball.

ncmd just told me that you have to get a laptop. since she actually got in there, i'm gonna assume she's right!! :wink:

thanks sweet tea. ncmd i was wondering what are the students like. how about the environment surrounding the campus.
-Raptor

I'm going to be attending Wake Forest this coming Fall, and all students indeed receive a laptop. You don't necessarily HAVE to purchase it because I'm sure it's part of the 30k tuition, but all students get one regardless of if they want it or not. Besides, other schools I was accepted to had like around 35k tuition and you didn't get ANYTHING, so I kinda consider the laptop a bonus. You also get a Palm before your third year.

The few students I met on interview day were very nice, and seemed to like the school a lot. The school was very student friendly according to them. The professors I interviewed with and met seemed really nice as well, I think it's part of the whole "Southern Hospitality" thing. EVERYBODY i came into contact with in Winston-Salem seemed relatively nice as well. I believe Wake Forest has an excellent reputation in NOrth Carolina since about 60% of the class is from NC, so I'm sure it's a little less known in other states but I've heard good things from physicians in Cali though.

The surrounding area is pretty quiet, and would probably be the ONLY thing I see as a negative point about the school because it's a little TOO quiet. It's very clean, safe and nice though.

Regarding the Spanish classes, I asked an admissions secretary about it and she said it's not necessarily a required course offered by the school, but rather it's a course that the student body REQUESTED to have. Kinda cool, in my opinion.

Anyways, I think I've said enough for now. I don't know if I covered all your questions Raptor, but I hope I helped a little.

congrats on your acceptance to wake forest. thanks for answering my questions. if its not a problem can you gave us your stats. b/c since only 60% of the students are from nc, all i've been hearing were anecdoctal evidences. for example, the average matriculating student have around 3.8/35 on their mcats. thanks again.

Hi Raptor-

I also got into Wake Forest. I loved the school!! The admissions people were really friendly, and on my tour during my interview all of the students I ran into only had positive things to say about the school. The facilities are awesome- that school is the most wired place that I have ever seen. The lecture halls all have internet hook-ups at every seat, and during lecture the professor writes notes on a special white board that actually can get directly downloaded to your computer. I don't know that much about Winston-Salem, although it is in a beautiful area of the state- the mountains aren't too far and you are in between the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) and Charlotte. I am actually going to attend UNC this fall instead, but that is ony because of the price difference and because my boyfriend is in Chapel Hill- it definitely isn't because I disliked Wake. You should apply- good luck!!

Hello all, I've finished the first year at Wake so I can help clear up a little of the confusion/misinformation.

Everyone gets a laptop during orientation. You don't pay extra for it, the tuition more than takes care of that. It is "free". Ours was an IBM thinkpad, 800 MHz with a CD burner. They have a great tech department right by the classrooms which take care of the online curriculum and fix your computer if something happens. I never was a laptop guy before but now I don't know what I'd do without it. You also get a color printer, a lock for it and a carrying case. The undergrad school requires people to buy a computer I think, so that might be where some of the confusion is. You DONT have to buy a computer, they give you one.

As for the school, it recently changed it's name (a few years ago) from Bowman Gray to Wake Forest so a lot of people still refer to it as such. It's well known in the southeast and in the medical community. We work out of Baptist Medical Center, which is a trauma center and recently finished construction on Brenner's children's hospital, which is awesome. It is also working on a new cancer center which is a nice addition and should be done in time for rotations for any new applicants (and hopefully us).

The school is VERY wired, with ethernet ports all over the place. All the lectures are on powerpoint and are recorded on Realaudio to be downloaded so you can listen to them later if you want (or the first time if you missed lecture). I basically keep everything on my computer.

The curriculum is different than most you are going to come across and is probably the biggest selling point of the school. It is a mixture of the traditional classroom curriculum and problem based learning, in that we have small group cases on Monday and Friday and regular lectures during the week. You also get on the floors very quickly, as I was interviewing patients the first week as part of our doctor-patient relationship class. we also start physical exam teaching at the beginning and have regular standardized patient exams to check how we're doing. We take the boards in april of our second year and start rotations by april 15th, so we have a lot of time in the hospital and we go through more rotations than most schools by the time we have to decide where to do away rotations for 4th year and hopefully have a better idea of what we want to do.

There have been a few glitches with the curriculum/administration that has caused some recent problems with the boards, in that the way the curriculum is set up if you aren't a very strong student and solely rely on what they give you in lecture, you aren't going to do as well as at a school where they teach TO the boards. We've been making some changes and probably the best thing about the school is how much the administration actually cares what we think and takes our input, sometimes too much. they aren't a bunch of docs who happen to be at an academic hospital so they have to do some teaching, but really spend an amazing amount of time with the student government to make sure things are working.

As for the spanish, it really isn't a big deal. You take a short phase of classes after you match as kind of a "this is stuff you need to know to actually be a real world doctor". One of these is a medical spanish class which has 3 levels from beginner to advanced. this isn't a high school or college spanish course, it's more FYI and I don't think you have a test, you just have to be there. NC and Winston-Salem has a huge hispanic population, so spanish is very helpful. we're talking about moving it up in the curriculum though since it isn't as helpful after you match and might be heading off to someplace else!

sorry this is so long, if you want more info about Wake, let me know. PM's are down for a while for the upgrade but I'd be happy to answer any questions. I truly love it here at Wake, and gave up a state school (South Florida) to come here and even though it is very expensive, I think it's worth it.

Hey wfu2005,

It's good to hear all the positive comments you made about the school. I'm gonna be moving out there at the end of this month and I'm getting pretty excited about it. Do you have any recommendations for where to live around the school? I noticed that most of the area consists of residential homes and the closest apartment complex is half a mile away. I've already contacted the apartment complex and most likely will be living there, but any tips you can give me would be great. Thanks!

Also, what in the world do the students do in Winston-Salem for fun? Everybody I came into contact with during my interview day said, "You'll find stuff." Like I said in my previous post, the location is the only thing that scares me a little b/c I'm afraid I might get bored to death on my free time. :wink:

there is quite a bit of housing all over the place and close to school. a lot of it is houses for rent. it's really cheap to live here and you can find some nice places. I bought a house and basically pay about 800 a month in mortgage payments, and I know a lot of people that get houses with others and can rent a nice house for ~300-450 per person. Call the med school and ask them to send you the list of housing they have. Basically people who are trying to lease out apts. and housing will call the school, and they usually have quite a few options.

As to where to live, I like the Ardmore area, which is in between Baptist and Forsyth hospital (southwest of Baptist). I drive to school, and it takes me 10 minutes from door to seat. They have student parking across the street for 90 bucks a semester I think, and a lot of people who don't walk take that route.

ah yes, the dreaded "what do I do for fun?" question. the answer...it depends. Honestly WS is not a very exciting town, depending on what you are used to. If you like to bar hop and go clubbing, you don't have a whole lot of options. There are some bars on Burke St. and some cool restaurants, wine bar, etc. on 4th street. Right down from the hospital is 1st St Draught House, which is the standard after test hangout that's got good beer, food, and service, but not really a place to score. If you are looking for outdoor stuff, there are a ton of parks, Pilot Mountain is 30 minutes away, Boone and the mountains are 1.5 hours west. Chapel hill is 1.5 hours east where a lot of the UNC crowd head when they need more of a college experience. Some people are bothered by not having a lot to do, others find that they don't mind at all. Personally, I love it here, but I am married so that makes me by definition out of date, but really the best time comes from just hanging out with your friends and doing things, if you want to roll solo, you might be lonely.

I was hesitant to apply to WF, but now I'm glad I did. Is W-S really that small town and bland? Will my husband be able to find work (he's an architect)? I'm from the south originally, so I'd like to get back to genteel society. Then again, I'd just like to get in!

It isn't that small, I'm not sure what the population is...somewhere around 300,000 I think. Greensboro is very close which is about the same size as well. I think it is a great town to be married in, but I know nothing about the job market for architects, my wife is a nurse. Apply, come for an interview, and look around, I think you'll like it fine.

Thanks again for the info wfu2005! I already have all the apartment/housing info. from the school, but most of it is out of date or out of my price range. I plan on living alone, so I think I'm pretty set towards staying in an apartment in the Ardmore area (at least for the first year), which is great since you even suggested that it's a nice location. I heard it's a 15-20 minute walk to school from my apartment, so I'm not really sure if I plan on walking/biking/driving yet. I don't think I'll be too bored there since I'm a pretty quiet and low key type of person anyways. Thanks again for your help!

No problem. Congrats on your acceptance and I hope you're looking forward to starting up. Only a few weeks to go. Most of us won't be around since we don't start up until September 9th but there will be a few wandering the halls and helping out with PE and gross lab. By the way, your new computers look awesome with a CD burner/DVD player combo. I'm pretty jealous.