Wake Forest vs. CUSM (CA resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1008720

So fortunate to have been admitted to both Wake Forest (MD) and a new California MD school, California University of Science and Medicine (MD)

I really adore Wake Forest, cheaper COL, super safe area, established school, supportive faculty. I've been dreaming of going here since being interviewed long ago.

CUSM seems like a great up-and-coming school, it's only an hour away from my home, and they will be opening their new campus soon. They are only 2 years old but seem to be doing pretty well thus far. They are in a kind of meh area though, which is still pretty expensive because California.

I think my heart really says Wake Forest. However, my biggest fear is that if I leave CA, it will be harder to get a residency position in CA, as I plan to return eventually. I know most CA students don't even get the chance to do an MD in CA. Any advice anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Wake is objectively a much stronger school than CalMed, which hasn't even had a match. I would go to wake 100%, which will help you way more to match back to a good CA program.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Wake is objectively a much stronger school than CalMed, which hasn't even had a match. I would go to wake 100%, which will help you way more to match back to a good CA program.
Thank you! I think I knew deep down Wake was the choice, just needed someone to encourage me haha.

Reactions: 3 users
So fortunate to have been admitted to both Wake Forest (MD) and a new California MD school, California University of Science and Medicine (MD)

I really adore Wake Forest, cheaper COL, super safe area, established school, supportive faculty. I've been dreaming of going here since being interviewed long ago.

CUSM seems like a great up-and-coming school, it's only an hour away from my home, and they will be opening their new campus soon. They are only 2 years old but seem to be doing pretty well thus far. They are in a kind of meh area though, which is still pretty expensive because California.

I think my heart really says Wake Forest. However, my biggest fear is that if I leave CA, it will be harder to get a residency position in CA, as I plan to return eventually. I know most CA students don't even get the chance to do an MD in CA. Any advice anyone?
100% Wake. They have a history and reputation that CUSM doesn't have and will be able to match you into a good specialty

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like I'm going to be going with Wake, although I'm still down to hear compelling arguments in favor of CUSM if anyone has some!

My vote is for Wake! But I’m a bit biased since I’m matriculating there haha. I actually turned down my CalMed II because it was the same weekend as the Wake 2nd look. Wake is clearly the stronger option imo, but if you have a big support system in SoCal and could potentially save some money by using them, then maybe you consider CalMed. My vote is still for Wake, though, since it is both stronger and cheaper.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users