MonsterInc

10+ Year Member
May 9, 2008
Status
My friend told me about the usefulness of SDN website. I was recently accepted off the waitlist from one of these schools. I have only one week to decide. And I want to free one spot as soon as possible. I have read their handbooks but am still having hard time making my decision. Could anyone tell me about these schools in terms of reputation, facilities, faculty, research opportunities, clinical exposure, preparation for board exams etc? Also, I could not find Wake's match list. Does anyone have that?

Thank you very much! Have a great weekend.

ryandote

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student

Last edited:

Fioriranno

10+ Year Member
May 8, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi,

I am in kind of the same position... I was recently accepted to one of these schools and now I have a week to decide! I'm going crazy reading everything about each school that I can get my hands on, and it's only serving to make the decision harder. Any insight?

Ohio State is my state school, so it's close to home and cheaper, and it's also ranked a bit higher. Georgetown, however, excites me because of it's location and the Jesuit values, and I hope to end up on the East Coast - Georgetown matches more people there than OSU, but I'm not sure if that's a result of interest rather than ability to match.

I'm unsure as to how important each of these characteristics, are, though. I would appreciate any and all feedback!

Good luck with your decision!

OP
M

MonsterInc

10+ Year Member
May 9, 2008
Status
Hi,

I am in kind of the same position... I was recently accepted to one of these schools and now I have a week to decide! I'm going crazy reading everything about each school that I can get my hands on, and it's only serving to make the decision harder. Any insight?

Ohio State is my state school, so it's close to home and cheaper, and it's also ranked a bit higher. Georgetown, however, excites me because of it's location and the Jesuit values, and I hope to end up on the East Coast - Georgetown matches more people there than OSU, but I'm not sure if that's a result of interest rather than ability to match.

I'm unsure as to how important each of these characteristics, are, though. I would appreciate any and all feedback!

Good luck with your decision!
Thank you for your replies.

I really hope to end up on the East Coast b/c that's where my family is. Looking at Ohio's match list, most of them match in Ohio.
I heard some people say that Columbus is a dangerous city. Is that true?
Also, Ohio's class size is really big. Do students there have career/personal advisors assigned to them?

ryandote

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student

Last edited:

muscles

student of the month
10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Columbus is NOT dangerous; I lived there for 22 years before moving away for med school; what your friend may have meant to say is that the area surrounding campus can be dangerous, as campus is not in the best part of town. That said, it is much safer than many other campuses around the country and Columbus itself is a safe city.

I am a few years ahead of you guys - I am starting residency this summer but I did interview at OSU and Wake Forest. In my opinion they are both great schools but OSU wins out for a few reasons:

1. NIH funding: OSU receives $40 million; Wake Forest receives $19 million. This translates into more research opportunities and after visiting both places, it is evident that there are more research opportunities at OSU. As a previous poster mentioned, OSU is constantly building; just within the past 5-6 years, there have been many more research buildings completed.

2. Match list: generally speaking, I personally believe that OSU has a better match list for med students and residents who are moving on to fellowships or starting their careers. This is a very subjective area though and there is much variability on what is good and what is not. WHAT IS IMPORTANT, however, is that you are comfortable with the match list.

3. Clinical experience: all in all probably similar; OSU does have a prison ward. Prisoners do have pretty interesting pathology compared to the general population...

4. City: Wake Forest is much prettier and the mountains are within a couple hours drive but I think there is more to do in Columbus, especially with the OSU undergraduate campus right there.

All this considered however, both are great schools; you will have plenty of career opportunities coming from either school.