Walden's PhD in Health Education and Promotion program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DEEFuturePhD87

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! :) I am interested in obtaining a doctorate degree in Health Education and Promotion. I currently have a Master's degree in Health Education/Health Promotion. I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with Walden and/or would anyone consider it a decent program to pursue a degree from? Is the school accredited? I don't want to attend a school and get in debt for a degree that would be useless. I'm not afraid of online education since I obtained my Masters degree online; however, it was from a very well-known brick-and-mortar school.

I am also considering a PhD in Public Health with an emphasis in Behavioral Health Education from a university where I live. The classes would be held at night. I am sure it would be more affordable and I could possibly earn a graduate assistantship at the on-campus university. And I'm sure that it has accreditation.However, I know that with an online program, there would be more flexibility. Should I just stick with the brick-and-mortar school or do you think Walden is okay? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

A quick glance at Walden's "Accreditation" page tells me that while the school is accredited in general, it does not have CEPH accreditation. From what I know, that is the only important accreditation for public health. I'd go for the brick-and-mortar option for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
A quick glance at Walden's "Accreditation" page tells me that while the school is accredited in general, it does not have CEPH accreditation. From what I know, that is the only important accreditation for public health. I'd go for the brick-and-mortar option for sure.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm no longer considering Walden since it doesn't have the CEPH accreditation. And I've also heard mixed reviews about the school. So I'm just gonna stay on the safe side and go the brick-and-mortar route.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

I thought CEPH accreditation didn't matter for PhD programs? I thought it only mattered for MPH and DrPH programs...I'd love some insight if i'm incorrect haha.

Hi all!

I thought CEPH accreditation didn't matter for PhD programs? I thought it only mattered for MPH and DrPH programs...I'd love some insight if i'm incorrect haha.

I'd say it pretty much always matters if you want to do any serious public health work with the PhD, unless you're getting a PhD in something like micrbiology.