Walgreens grad intern offer, waiting on my offer letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TianjinNVhai

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
H

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Current P4, did a FaceTime interview with DM yesterday and she offered me the PIG position. I know WG is much hated here, but still I'm super excited because the location of district (a major metro area in mid-west) would just work perfectly for me. She very nicely explained how the process works, but she didn't mention what my hourly rate will be and of course I was too excited about the offer I forgot to ask.....
Now I wonder,
I know my DM said I would get two offer letters as soon as she gets them ready. But does anyone here know how many days does that usually take?
Would the offer letter tell me how my salary/hourly rate will be? (I'm so sorry but I never had a job before)
I haven't told my friends and family about the news yet because I wanted to wait until I get my offer letter.
And most importantly, PTL! I wouldn't be able to do this without the help from God. Every students out there like me, no matter how tough it is out there, NEVER NEVER loose you hope and courage, just put your trust on god and you will see miracles happen. I promise.

@wagrxm2000 , I didn't realize that Walgreens had an abattoir location open now. My, how the profession has changed that Walgreens can afford to openly slaughter new grads now. I guess that's how Walgreens wants pharmacists to (be) serve now...Can't wait for CVS's market response to this.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, not jokingly, you might want to read the various things on "PIC" positions, they are not easy jobs, and KPI metric targets are challenging to manage.
LOL , not PIC, it's PIG== pharmacist intern graduate, this is the acronym they use at Walgreens I guess. But thanks for the kindly the reminding tho.

LOL , not PIC, it's PIG== pharmacist intern graduate, this is the acronym they use at Walgreens I guess. But thanks for the kindly the reminding tho.

Oh, they used to call it GI (Graduate Intern), didn't realize they made it funnier.

Reactions: 2 users
Current P4, did a FaceTime interview with DM yesterday and she offered me the PIG position. I know WG is much hated here, but still I'm super excited because the location of district (a major metro area in mid-west) would just work perfectly for me. She very nicely explained how the process works, but she didn't mention what my hourly rate will be and of course I was too excited about the offer I forgot to ask.....
Now I wonder,
I know my DM said I would get two offer letters as soon as she gets them ready. But does anyone here know how many days does that usually take?
Would the offer letter tell me how my salary/hourly rate will be? (I'm so sorry but I never had a job before)
I haven't told my friends and family about the news yet because I wanted to wait until I get my offer letter.
And most importantly, PTL! I wouldn't be able to do this without the help from God. Every students out there like me, no matter how tough it is out there, NEVER NEVER loose you hope and courage, just put your trust on god and you will see miracles happen. I promise.
Congrats on getting a position, but how have you never held a job before??? Not even as an intern pharmacist or a tech??? You are in for a very rude awakening. You will hit the ground running. Good luck.

You do realize that PIGs are only good for turning into bacon, right?

I can't be the only person laughing at the idea of calling their grad interns PIGS am I?

THAT'LL DO PIG.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats on getting a position, but how have you never held a job before??? Not even as an intern pharmacist or a tech??? You are in for a very rude awakening. You will hit the ground running. Good luck.

I'm working as intern for Kroger for 3 years now, but I don't think I got an offer letter for it, my preceptor just pretty much added me to their system after my IPPE. All jokes aside, how long did it take you to get your offer letter after a verbal offer from the interviewer?

You don’t need experience to be a good pharmacist in retail. As long as you work hard.

You don’t need experience to be a good pharmacist in retail. As long as you work hard.

I really like what you say, but for clarification purpose, could you articulate what you mean by “work hard”?

Would you consider “uncompensated overtime” work hard or don’t drink or eat to avoid restroom break work hard? Verify and churn more prescriptions beyond your mental capacity?

I myself don’t work hard, I get up every 30 minutes to drink water or use rest room. I chat with others in the hallway and at my desk.... However, I think very hard and always come up ideas that nobody else thinks. I bring in many millions of cost savings into my Organization. I solve problems, and I creat value. BTW, I also listen to youtube at work and browse Amazon as needed.

As professionals, should we sell our cognitive services instead of just "hard work"? Are we now double as glorified technicians when retail corporate cut tech hours?

Other than checking the right drug in the bottle for as fast as humanly possible or impossible. What else do we do with our clinical expertise in retail? I worked at target for 2 years long time ago, I had the luxury to engage patients, do we have that now at CVS?

we sell blood, sweat but bottomline is that we use our license on dispensations and legal responsibilities purposes. We are becoming efficiency expert, work process expert, and subject matter expert on insurance. We trim off seconds with our tasks, shortest distance to walk around the pharmacy to get job done. Meeting metrics, avoid obvious errors. How often do we use what we learn at school? Really?

I mean no disrespect to your comment, it reflects the reality in retail, and this really saddens me as you can see with my vent.

I hope one day our professional status can be returned to older days when we actually provide cognitive services and valued by employers.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:
lol what was the purpose of this thread?

I really like what you say, but for clarification purpose, could you articulate what you mean by “work hard”?

Would you consider “uncompensated overtime” work hard or don’t drink or eat to avoid restroom break work hard? Verify and churn more prescriptions beyond your mental capacity?

I myself don’t work hard, I get up every 30 minutes to drink water or use rest room. I chat with others in the hallway and at my desk.... However, I think very hard and always come up ideas that nobody else thinks. I bring in many millions of cost savings into my Organization. I solve problems, and I creat value. BTW, I also listen to youtube at work and browse Amazon as needed.

As professionals, should we sell our cognitive services instead of just "hard work"? Are we now double as glorified technicians when retail corporate cut tech hours?

Other than checking the right drug in the bottle for as fast as humanly possible or impossible. What else do we do with our clinical expertise in retail? I worked at target for 2 years long time ago, I had the luxury to engage patients, do we have that now at CVS?

we sell blood, sweat but bottomline is that we use our license on dispensations and legal responsibilities purposes. We are becoming efficiency expert, work process expert, and subject matter expert on insurance. We trim off seconds with our tasks, shortest distance to walk around the pharmacy to get job done. Meeting metrics, avoid obvious errors. How often do we use what we learn at school? Really?

I mean no disrespect to your comment, it reflects the reality in retail, and this really saddens me as you can see with my vent.

I hope one day our professional status can be returned to older days when we actually provide cognitive services and valued by employers.

Patient prescribed 14 day supply of Keflex for bronchitis. Obviously idiotic. Patient started on glimeperide instead of a first-line agent despite good insurance. Patient who fills their BP meds once every 6 months now walks into the pharmacy with a script for hydralazine.

All great potential interventions. The problem is that CVS cares so little about these interventions that they literally don't even track them. They track how long it takes to open the drive-thru window, but they don't track things that actually mean something. Any why should they? It doesn't make them any money. And in terms of patient loyalty/retention, customer service is a stronger indicator of satisfaction than appropriate care, and customer service is determined by wait time and price. Half the time that I call a doctor the patient gets angry because they have to wait longer, they don't give a **** why I'm calling. They just want their script as fast and cheap as possible.

Why not have both good customer service and quality care? Well the pharmacy isn't staffed to do both, and that's not an exaggeration. Will you pick the one that is measured in 50 different ways by the company or pick the one that means absolutely nothing to the company at all to focus on?

The business strategy of the big chain is "Cut costs on the retail side and look to other revenue streams for growth". It's not a speculation, CVS and WAGS literally both said these words on their conference call for shareholders. These companies are focusing on areas to grow outside of retail. Specialty, benefits management, minute clinics, home infusion, mail-order, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I guess we are in the period of when a simple “work hard” can be interpreted differently. For those in retail, you know what you’ve gotten yourselves into. Walgreens and CVS are private companies that are ultimately in for profit. You really think that will change? You don’t like meeting these metrics or goals? Then leave. Go work for hospital or the VA. Or go abroad.

Those of us that go into retail should know what’s expected. The trade off of being in a fast paced environment and constantly demanding metrics / corporate goals is reasonably salary with benefits and some job security. Complaining about having to do technician duties or having to constantly stand and little breaks to meet metrics —you knew what you got yourselves into. Why complain? Want to make a change? Go into law and lobby for legal requirements for pharmacies to have a lunch break.

I may be naive in saying all this stuff but I am tired of hearing people in retail complain about being in retail. Seriously. Get over it. We get paid $100k+ compared to pharmacists elsewhere in the world. If you want the type of environment where you can fully be relaxed and not about these metrics—go work in a foreign country as a pharmacist where the pay isn’t good but maybe that lifestyle is much more fitting for you.

If you in retail but complain about their demands and expectations, just quit. Leave it to those who can handle what’s put in front of them.

Oh and those interactions I learn in school? You are the limiting step. Corporate can’t touch your professional judgement calls. If you see an interaction or obvious problem then you call it out and resolve that issue. Like you said.

Those of us that go into retail should know what’s expected. The trade off of being in a fast paced environment and constantly demanding metrics / corporate goals is reasonably salary with benefits and some job security. Complaining about having to do technician duties or having to constantly stand and little breaks to meet metrics —you knew what you got yourselves into. Why complain? Want to make a change? Go into law and lobby for legal requirements for pharmacies to have a lunch break.

I may be naive in saying all this stuff but I am tired of hearing people in retail complain about being in retail. Seriously. Get over it. We get paid $100k+ compared to pharmacists elsewhere in the world. If you want the type of environment where you can fully be relaxed and not about these metrics—go work in a foreign country as a pharmacist where the pay isn’t good but maybe that lifestyle is much more fitting for you.

If you in retail but complain about their demands and expectations, just quit. Leave it to those who can handle what’s put in front of them.

In every setting, there are people who complain, who accept, who leave. There are also people who make changes, who lead and advocate. Of course, dealing with private corporation, like suggested, you can always quit if you don’t like it.

If you observe very closely of the pharmacy profession, anyone can call out the culprit, supply and demand, greedy corporation, launching of 4 dollars generics. The job nature and condition of retail pharmacists are gradually changing over the years. Corporations recognized the landscape and turned on pharmacists because they can.

One thing we do have to ask, is it for the better? For our profession? for our patients? Less tech helps improve safety? More immunization help patient access? Fewer hours for new graduates are for their better mental health. The list goes on.

Corporation makes decisions based on bottomline. What is our obligation as professional and what actions can we take? Do we stand silently and watch the changes? Where are the checks and balances?

One thing to keep in mind about the old saying about Nazi take your neighbors? I feel some similarities here:
When corporations cut hours for staff pharmacist and new hires, I did not say anything, I was not touched.
When Corporations lowered salary for new graduates, I did not say anything, I was not touched.
When corporations let go of higher paid pharmacists, I did not say anything, I was not touched.
When corporations let me go, no one is left to say anything.

You may not be touched yet by the corporation’s decisions, will you be?

Last edited:

deliverance4.jpg

Squeel PIG......WHEEEEEEEEEEEE......WHEEEEEEEE..... this is what it will feel like working retail.......lol deliverance.