Walgreens offer: Do I have to work more than 64hr/pay period?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rphgatekeeper

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a 2020 grad who just got offered FT with walgreens. FYI it was ~78k for 64 hrs (not great by any stretch, I know). My main question is if I can reasonably keep my hours to 64? I had an interview with a hospital that went well, for per diem. Ideally I would do walgreens for the benefits, and continue to work hospital where I am most interested. My biggest concern is walgreens taking over my life. I really want to leave my schedule as available as possible for hospital shifts. I'm assuming I can keep walgreens to 4 days, 32 hours/wk. Any insight is appreciated. I have never worked community, only hospital throughout school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It will more likely be closer to 70 hours a pay period while only getting paid for 64 in all reality. And yes - you can expect wags to take over your life, that’s just what retail does.

I suppose the signs of pharmacy school being a bad idea were there when you started school... did you not pay attention?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It will more likely be closer to 70 hours a pay period while only getting paid for 64 in all reality. And yes - you can expect wags to take over your life, that’s just what retail does.

I suppose the signs of pharmacy school being a bad idea were there when you started school... did you not pay attention?
Technically they can't require me to go beyond 64 right? I have no problem standing my ground, even saying I have another job. Just trying to get input from those who have worked the industry. I tried asking the person who offered the job, and he seemed to pawn it off onto the scheduler. So I just have to take this guy's word that they are usually open to some input on what our schedule looks like.

When I started school it was still being advertised that pharmacists are in demand. That kind of faded about halfway through. I wish I was a few years younger, as I would probably have chosen a different path.

Members don't see this ad :)
Technically they can't require me to go beyond 64 right? I have no problem standing my ground, even saying I have another job. Just trying to get input from those who have worked the industry. I tried asking the person who offered the job, and he seemed to pawn it off onto the scheduler. So I just have to take this guy's word that they are usually open to some input on what our schedule looks like.

When I started school it was still being advertised that pharmacists are in demand. That kind of faded about halfway through. I wish I was a few years younger, as I would probably have chosen a different path.

Well - you will see just how easy it is to, “stand your ground”. And no - the answer to your question is they can require you to work more than 64 hours, again you will see how that works out.

The honest to goodness truth is your in a pretty bad position. Welcome to the horrible conditions which we have been struggling with for many years. I hope you have had a physical and have your blood pressure under control. It may be a good time to preemptively get on a ssri or something as well - some do that.

They don’t pay you extra hours for scheduling more than 64 hours base? Or you are staying longer to clear up the queue?

They don’t pay you extra hours for scheduling more than 64 hours base? Or you are staying longer to clear up the queue?
They told me beyond 64 hrs is paid about $47/hr. Extra reason for me to not want to pick up shifts. I would guess once my shift is over, I'm free to leave since it's salaried?

It's a terrible offer. But honestly, how else do I get benefits/healthcare at this point in my career? My plan is this until I find something better. But again, haven't said yes yet. Biggest concern is simply having time for a hospital job too. That's where my focus is. If that's not really going to be possible, I would seriously consider declining this offer.

They told me beyond 64 hrs is paid about $47/hr. Extra reason for me to not want to pick up shifts. I would guess once my shift is over, I'm free to leave since it's salaried?

It's a terrible offer. But honestly, how else do I get benefits/healthcare at this point in my career? My plan is this until I find something better. But again, haven't said yes yet. Biggest concern is simply having time for a hospital job too. That's where my focus is. If that's not really going to be possible, I would seriously consider declining this offer.

Of course you are free to leave - however what you will find is that you will likely get slammed and overwhelmed in a way that pharmacy school never prepared you for. This will make you feel terrible for the next person coming in and you will spend your personal time standing there and clearing the que so the next guy is not in deeper trouble.

This is just how it goes in retail. I’m so sorry this is happening to you. This is just how it is.

Lmao 2008 wages. $45 per hour. Good luck getting all your work done within your shift. No employer can keep you beyond your scheduled hours unless you agree to it or your boards practice regs require it (some nursing jobs are like this they cannot leave unless properly relieved). However, you'll find out you will be staying just to keep up.

I would still take Walgreens offer and per diem hospital if possible until something else better come along. You need insurance and money for bills. Are you able to make certain dates unavailable in Walgreens system if hospital let you know in advance the dates?

I would still take Walgreens offer and per diem hospital if possible until something else better come along. You need insurance and money for bills. Are you able to make certain dates unavailable in Walgreens system if hospital let you know in advance the dates?
That's my biggest question too. I tried to discuss it with the manager who sent me the offer. I replied stating I had another per diem offer and that as long as the scheduler is open to input and keeping me as close to 32 hour weeks as possible, this job would be perfect for me. He didn't respond, maybe not wanting to say too much. Maybe I even said too much but I'd rather be upfront about it. He did at least say the scheduler is good about alternating weekends on/off, so it seems that I can at least offer that to the hospital.

That's my biggest question too. I tried to discuss it with the manager who sent me the offer. I replied stating I had another per diem offer and that as long as the scheduler is open to input and keeping me as close to 32 hour weeks as possible, this job would be perfect for me. He didn't respond, maybe not wanting to say too much. Maybe I even said too much but I'd rather be upfront about it. He did at least say the scheduler is good about alternating weekends on/off, so it seems that I can at least offer that to the hospital.

Of course he did not respond. They are not in a position where they will entertain the idea that you have some sort of say in the matter.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, you may have told him a bit too much info and he may think you are not commit to Walgreens as much as he wants you to. I think they would give you the schedule way in advance so you can let the hospital know your available dates. Don't let your boss know that your goal is to get hospital job. If you get the offer in the future, 2 week notice is enough. You don't want him thinking of replacing you with someone else in this market. You still will learn something/skill that can be used later on even this is just a retail job...who knows, you may decide to becom PIC in retail!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you may have told him a bit too much info and he may think you are not commit to Walgreens as much as he wants you to. I think they would give you the schedule way in advance so you can let the hospital know your available dates. Don't let your boss know that your goal is to get hospital job. If you get the offer in the future, 2 week notice is enough. You don't want him thinking of replacing you with someone else in this market. You still will learn something/skill that can be used later on even this is just a retail job...who knows, you may decide to becom PIC in retail!
I phrased it as wanting to keep up with that side of pharmacy, since he knows from my resume and interview that I came from hospital. (Actually, I said I already had the offer, just to make it seem like they came around the same time). I figured to just be open about it. It's a tough position to be in, the fine line between explaining enough to get that info versus potentially seeming disinterested. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for a full time opportunity.

I really appreciate your positive outlook on this. It will be a learning experience, and who knows, maybe I'll go far in this role! I decided to accept the offer. It's experience under my belt. And I don't have to do it forever if I don't want to.

I phrased it as wanting to keep up with that side of pharmacy, since he knows from my resume and interview that I came from hospital. (Actually, I said I already had the offer, just to make it seem like they came around the same time). I figured to just be open about it. It's a tough position to be in, the fine line between explaining enough to get that info versus potentially seeming disinterested. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for a full time opportunity.

I really appreciate your positive outlook on this. It will be a learning experience, and who knows, maybe I'll go far in this role! I decided to accept the offer. It's experience under my belt. And I don't have to do it forever if I don't want to.

Good luck - May the odds be ever be in your favor.

You mentioned that you need a full time job for health insurance benefits. Take the job and see where it goes. Set your expectations low as far as dealing with your PIC/DM/scheduler.

If you didn't need insurance, CVS vaccination thing, to me, is a better option. You can probably dictate your schedule better.

Just to add. Don't worry about 64 vs 70. It sounds like you are concerned more about having enough days off. That you should have some control over. You might stay late here and there but you should learn to say no to picking up extra shifts if you don't want them

Last edited:
You mentioned that you need a full time job for health insurance benefits. Take the job and see where it goes. Set your expectations low as far as dealing with your PIC/DM/scheduler.

If you didn't need insurance, CVS vaccination thing, to me, is a better option. You can probably dictate your schedule better.

Just to add. Don't worry about 64 vs 70. It sounds like you are concerned more about having enough days off. That you should have some control over. You might stay late here and there but you should learn to say no to picking up extra shifts if you don't want them
Here's my skeleton in the closet. I was hired for the cvs thing end of Dec. Oriented a week ago today. Contacted to be scheduled/availability on Saturday. Schedule came out that day and I wasn't on it. Maybe it was just this one week due to short notice. But not my fault they didn't contact me earlier in the week. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. It seems like a free-for-all to get hours. I actually resigned yesterday.

With walgreens I believe they also go out to clinics. If anything, I volunteer for that and get out of the storefronts while I can. Then when clinics are over, at least I have a job. With cvs I suspect that's a temporary role. So in the grand scheme of things, I figure this is a better job overall. Plus better opportunity to grow regardless, and may look better to employers to hold down a FT position.

And that's reassuring to hear about the hours. As long as I can get some days off, that's what matters.

• Wow
Hello everyone, I'm a 2020 grad who just got offered FT with walgreens. FYI it was ~78k for 64 hrs (not great by any stretch, I know). My main question is if I can reasonably keep my hours to 64? I had an interview with a hospital that went well, for per diem. Ideally I would do walgreens for the benefits, and continue to work hospital where I am most interested. My biggest concern is walgreens taking over my life. I really want to leave my schedule as available as possible for hospital shifts. I'm assuming I can keep walgreens to 4 days, 32 hours/wk. Any insight is appreciated. I have never worked community, only hospital throughout school. Thanks!
I dunno...you gotta finese this one...Is it possible to connect with one of the hospital pharmacy staff to keep current for at least a little while and also show interest and aptitude while pounding at WAGS? There could be a change at the hospital 6 months from now. Your hard won knowledge that would be helpful in a hospital will likely quickly fade away pounding orders in a drug store. Try and get some hours at the hospital. Don't be a pest but try and demonstrate your ultimate interest....keep yourself in mind with the hospital manager..good luck..this is tough...Pay bills...no new cars...you get it...

I dunno...you gotta finese this one...Is it possible to connect with one of the hospital pharmacy staff to keep current for at least a little while and also show interest and aptitude while pounding at WAGS? There could be a change at the hospital 6 months from now. Your hard won knowledge that would be helpful in a hospital will likely quickly fade away pounding orders in a drug store. Try and get some hours at the hospital. Don't be a pest but try and demonstrate your ultimate interest....keep yourself in mind with the hospital manager..good luck..this is tough...Pay bills...no new cars...you get it...
That's basically my plan for sure. I accepted walgreens but already making it clear I don't want to be worked to death. At the hospital they seemed interested in me for sure and I expressed that same notion of working hard for my knowledge and a clinical setting being my end goal (different script I told to walgreens though, lol), and they said they're using per diems up to 3x per week recently, having been really busy and are opening a new icu this month. If I get that offer, fingers crossed, I would hope to do 2 days/wk there, and hopefully whittle down walgreens to 4 days/wk, sticking with that minimum 32 hrs, or as close to it as possible.

It's a nasty market out there... Welcome to the real world huh?

Here's a crazy

Here's a crazy twist. A recruiter contacted me tonight for a FT 3-6 month contract at a hospital group for covid clinics. Of course, the day after I press accept on walgreens. Guess I still have time to back out...? Wish I could tell the future right now and if I can make something out of this beyond the contract. Hospital is my goal, so this opportunity is attractive.

LoL at working unpaid time after your shift is over. I'm pretty sure that's not even legal.

So, what are you going to do? You can buy private insurance for now...and take this contract. Hopefully, this will lead to something else. Will you still doing per diem at the other hospital? Stability or go with the flow?

So, what are you going to do? You can buy private insurance for now...and take this contract. Hopefully, this will lead to something else. Will you still doing per diem at the other hospital? Stability or go with the flow?
I slept on it and am leaning towards contract. That opportunity with that organization probably won't show up again. Walgreens will still be around as long as I back out soon and gracefully. If I get the per diem that would be a perfect mix along with contract. Not sure if contract would possibly offer any benefits? The recruiter advertised it as FT. I think having this contract and per diem hours will at least feel more stable to me. I'm not used to 12 hour retail shifts.

LoL at working unpaid time after your shift is over. I'm pretty sure that's not even legal.

Your right - but it is what it is. There is practically no way around it if you want to keep your job. There is no, “standing your ground” in these outfits. You either stay late or the ship sinks. Unless you are working at a store that has it dialed in - which is an exception to the rule now.

I slept on it and am leaning towards contract. That opportunity with that organization probably won't show up again. Walgreens will still be around as long as I back out soon and gracefully. If I get the per diem that would be a perfect mix along with contract. Not sure if contract would possibly offer any benefits? The recruiter advertised it as FT. I think having this contract and per diem hours will at least feel more stable to me. I'm not used to 12 hour retail shifts.

Something to think about - you are incorrect in saying that “walgreens will be there as long as I back out gracefully.”

You have gone through their hiring process. Your records with HR will show that you left promptly, indicating they are your backup plan. This will flag every time with them going forward.

I worked at wags for 2 weeks before quitting gracefully with them. I consider myself blacklisted - but who knows

Last edited:
Something to think about - you are incorrect in saying that “walgreens will be there as long as I back out gracefully.”

You have gone through their hiring process. Your records with HR will show that you left promptly, indicating they are your backup plan. This will flag every time with them going forward.

I worked at wags for 2 weeks before quitting gracefully with them. I consider myself blacklisted - but who knows
I'm in a weird place in the hiring process where I clicked accept offer but haven't completed any onboarding yet. So I wonder if I decline at this point if the whole thing gets withdrawn. Can they really say I "worked there" for 2 days even though they don't have all my info yet? I would need someone internal to get that answer. I'm leaning towards it still being flexible though... But who knows? And I don't need a reason for my decline. "Personal reasons" are vague. How can I be blacklisted for that?

I'm in a weird place in the hiring process where I clicked accept offer but haven't completed any onboarding yet. So I wonder if I decline at this point if the whole thing gets withdrawn. Can they really say I "worked there" for 2 days even though they don't have all my info yet? I would need someone internal to get that answer. I'm leaning towards it still being flexible though... But who knows? And I don't need a reason for my decline. "Personal reasons" are vague. How can I be blacklisted for that?

There is not exactly a “black list”. What happens is a hiring manager will simply see an open and closed file and may, or may not, determine right then and there that they will not waste their time and move onto the next applicant.

Am I reading this right? You resigned from CVS before they had even scheduled you, and now you are wanting to resign from Walgreens a few days after accepting them? A COVID job is by its nature temporary, maybe it will turn into something full-time, but I wouldn't count on that. And blowing off the 2 biggest employers of pharmacists in the US does not bode well for your future job prospects. Reality is, if you want a pharmacist job, you take it. It's a employer's market and you have no room for negotiation. If you don't like this, go watch something like Surviving a Day in the Victoria Era, and then you will have more of an appreciation for your modern day job.

Eh, really, backing out of an accepted full-time job offer for a recruiter calling you about something (meaning, it's far from guaranteed, as you still have to interview and everything?) Really?

Listen - I don’t know where you reside , but if you live in south Florida , shift are always available to pick up . What am I trying to tell you ? Just float dude . I’m going on 8 years with a retail chain and though I’ve had 1 or 2 stable stores where I get several of my hours each pay period , I have floated all along . I’ve almost been forced into permanent stores as staff over the years and never accepted it- always fought against it and explained I wanted to float . Staff is not worth it . Manager is not worth it . If you live in a district where other pharmacists are constantly advertising shifts , the ball is in your court . I’m almost 35. Since I was nearly 27, I’ve had the flexibility of taking time off when I want to without being a slave like a staff pharmacist who gets denied for PTO. I get approved and that’s that . What have I done ? Before the pandemic , I literally traveled the world and enjoyed it while still making at least $105,000 a year (not $120k because I’d take too much time off ). I visited foreign , beautiful lands that most people in America only dream of visiting . I’ve been to every continent except for Antártica . I’ve been to France, Spain, Hungary , Ukraine , Russia , Greece, Italy , the U.K., Turkey , Switzerland , Liechtenstein in Europe . I’ve been to the Middle East - Israel , the UAE (home to Dubai ), Egypt , also Asia (Hong Kong, mainland China, Japan, the South Pacific (Australia and New Zealand ), South America (Peru, Colombia , Argentina , Brazil ), etc. and many places two or even three times . That’s just an idea . How ? Thanks to floating ! As long as you get your hours, live below your means , you’re good . I’ve lived it up and enjoyed my life to the Max . Today, travel is over for a long while even with the availability of a vaccine . Smile . Float if you can . Make your money . Live below your means . Be a hypocrite during any supervisor visits . They don’t matter . Just do your job when you go to different pharmacies , solve the problems that day , and go home . Then, every 3 or 4 months , take off like I did . Go visit Portugal or go to a remote island . Pharmacy has been good to me !! I am now about to turn 35 and my days of travel all over are over and I’m engaged to a beautiful Brazilian girl of 22. I enjoyed my life and pharmacy allowed it thanks to the high pay . Don’t be a slave . Enjoy your 20s and 30s like I have : FLOAT! The pharmacists on this site , perhaps a majority , are loyal sheep to companies that don’t care about them . They’ve gotten married too young , took out a mortgage too young , and established roots . They find themselves stuck and being subservient to retail chain managers . Do it different . Some of them are also workaholics and saving every nickel and dime for retirement for a day that may or may not come . Save for retirement too , but enjoy yourself . Tomorrow is not promised. When you float , will you get stressed ? YES. Some stores are terrible , but you’re there temporarily . I can’t tell you how many times the shift was terrible and I had already booked my flight to either Lima, Cairo , or Christchurch , New Zealand. Enjoy your life , minimize stress by floating .

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Damn...I feel lucky. I graduated in 2017 and went to work for the hospital I worked at as a tech and then intern. I was making 104k overnight 7 on 7 off. Left there and now at 122k. 40 hours a week...still hospital...still a ****ty schedule.