"Walgreens pharmacist denies woman miscarriage medication due to his beliefs"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This woman still got care, and now she's going to whine and try to ruin this pharmacist's life putting him on blast. There are always 2 sides to a story, I can't imagine any sane pro-life pharmacist denying misoprostol (what I'm assuming the Rx was for) for the purpose of removing a miscarriage. I think there is more to the story.

Disclaimer: I would have dispensed it, and have personally dispensed it for the purpose of abortion (and counseled patient on what to expect and how to handle things safely).

Reactions: 4 users
This is the sad world we live in.

However I will never understand why pharmacists ever deny this. There is absolutely no difference between you doing it and letting someone else.

Members don't see this ad :)

However I will never understand why pharmacists ever deny this. There is absolutely no difference between you doing it and letting someone else.

The difference is that this pharmacist exercised his beliefs. Just because you would fill a script doesn't mean I would. Pharmacists aren't lemmings. I have read this article and the pharmacist in question acted within the law and company policy, so whats the problem? Its the same old dr writes the rxs the pharmacist fills them.

Reactions: 2 users
The difference is that this pharmacist exercised his beliefs. Just because you would fill a script doesn't mean I would. Pharmacists aren't lemmings. I have read this article and the pharmacist in question acted within the law and company policy, so whats the problem? Its the same old dr writes the rxs the pharmacist fills them.

I would hope you would at least go out of your way to make sure the patient gets it.

I've literally had people stand beside me as I've sold something they refused to so. You aren't preventing anything.

I would hope you would at least go out of your way to make sure the patient gets it.

I've literally had people stand beside me as I've sold something they refused to so. You aren't preventing anything.

The goal is not to prevent the patient from getting the medication, it is to stay true to strong beliefs. In this case the pharmacist offered to call around to find a pharmacy that may fill it. It maybe difficult to believe but some people have strong values.

The goal is not to prevent the patient from getting the medication, it is to stay true to strong beliefs. In this case the pharmacist offered to call around to find a pharmacy that may fill it. It maybe difficult to believe but some people have strong values.

No one can ever explain the difference between your initials being on it and someone elses. It literally changes nothing.

I guarantee you that is not what happened. She said it herself, she didn't get it that night. The pharmacist should have either immediately called the patient or if not able to contact them called around to find it for her.

I've told my techs if any floater ever does this to call me and I'll come in and take care of it myself.

I will say though as much I don't think ones beliefs should decide when to sell a script, they do have that right and nothing should happen to this pharmacist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No one can ever explain the difference between your initials being on it and someone elses. It literally changes nothing.

I guarantee you that is not what happened. She said it herself, she didn't get it that night. The pharmacist should have either immediately called the patient or if not able to contact them called around to find it for her.

I've told my techs if any floater ever does this to call me and I'll come in and take care of it myself.

I will say though as much I don't think ones beliefs should decide when to sell a script, they do have that right and nothing should happen to this pharmacist.

When you say "it literally changes nothing, " you may not realize it, but you are really being profoundly offensive to those who would not dispense the medication. You say that and those folks hear that their beliefs are meaningless.

Reactions: 1 users
When you say "it literally changes nothing, " you may not realize it, but you are really being profoundly offensive to those who would not dispense the medication. You say that and those folks hear that their beliefs are meaningless.

Thank you for ignoring the rest of my post. Do you really think this woman would have complained had the pharmacist found a location she could go to when she arrived?

This is the bigger issue. Not just using your beliefs but also intentionally not trying to help them out.

Oh and you've still not explained how it actually changes anything. Guess what, by transferring it you are still involved in the patient getting it. Unless you stop them from getting it, you aren't doing anything but causing pain and suffering for the patient.

Thank you for ignoring the rest of my post. Do you really think this woman would have complained had the pharmacist found a location she could go to when she arrived?

This is the bigger issue. Not just using your beliefs but also intentionally not trying to help them out.

Yes. I think she would have complained because like many people, it appears like many people she believes that a pharmacist does NOT have the right to refuse the rx. Are you trying to say that people only complain when there is actually a problem?

What belief prevents treating a miscarriage. **** even the Catholics are OK with it.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes. I think she would have complained because like many people, it appears like many people she believes that a pharmacist does NOT have the right to refuse the rx. Are you trying to say that people only complain when there is actually a problem?

Oh my.... The entire point is the pharmacist while doing what he had the right to do didn't follow through with what he also has the requirements to do.

People complain, who cares. Like my very first comment says, that's the world we live in. This probably happens a all the time and if it gets enough media, we'll unfortunately see it more.

What belief prevents treating a miscarriage. **** even the Catholics are OK with it.

You say Bible and you can do anything. What I don't understand is why don't they follow everything the Bible says?

Members don't see this ad :)

You'll have to ask the pharmacist who refused it. Personally, I dispense medication and sell plan B as long as otherwise legal and scientifucally appropriate. I am just trying to get wagrxm to realize the point of view of someone who doesn't agree with dispensing misoprostol.

You'll have to ask the pharmacist who refused it. Personally, I dispense medication and sell plan B as long as otherwise legal and scientifucally appropriate. I am just trying to get wagrxm to realize the point of view of someone who doesn't agree with dispensing misoprostol.

I'm still waiting for that explanation part.

My point is simple, if you don't believe it should be used, you should stop it which you can't so why don't you either just sell it or do your job correctly and find a pharmacy that will immediately.

How exactly does it make you feel better by making someone else sell it? They are still getting it

I'm still waiting for that explanation part.

My point is simple, if you don't believe it should be used, you should stop it which you can't so why don't you either just sell it or do your job correctly and find a pharmacy that will immediately.

How exactly does it make you feel better by making someone sell it? They are still getting it

I apologize. I have failed to help you understand a different point of view so you may better appreciate other pharmacists beliefs and function better as a manager.

I apologize. I have failed to help you understand a different point of view so you may better appreciate other pharmacists beliefs and function better as a manager.

You have to actually try to explain first.

This is what you are saying.... The pharmacist feels better about themself because even though he didn't dispense it, the patient still got their medication.

What you aren't saying is what this actually achieves other than pain and suffering.

Last edited:
Sincere question:
Why did the pharmacist fill it and notify her if they did not intend to follow through? I can see that they were within their rights to not fill it, but isn't it cruel to have her come in just to tell her "no I don't want to fill this." Don't the pharmacists see the scripts before the tech fills it? Was it just bad timing like a change of shift?
Edit: I understand it was a big pharmacy likely with several pharmacists vs a mom/pop.

Sincere question:
Why did the pharmacist fill it and notify her if they did not intend to follow through? I can see that they were within their rights to not fill it, but isn't it cruel to have her come in just to tell her "no I don't want to fill this." Don't the pharmacists see the scripts before the tech fills it? Was it just bad timing like a change of shift?
Edit: I understand it was a big pharmacy likely with several pharmacists vs a mom/pop.

At Walgreens, the pharmacist may not be aware of the rx until the final product is checked because the tech takes the rx and centralization verifies the data (depends on staffing, you work by yourself obviously you see everything)

At Walgreens, the pharmacist may not be aware of the rx until the final product is checked because the tech takes the rx and centralization verifies the data (depends on staffing, you work by yourself obviously you see everything)
And it doesn't get checked until the client comes to pay?

There isn't an excuse for this.

What happens though is script gets called in and the patient immediately comes in before it's ready. Why it took a day to get it, I don't know.

Its possible or until they show up if you are behind. I would say when I have dealt with issues where I couldn't fill an rx, I have been transparent with the customer and don'y use excuses i.e. its not in stock.

You can't say that because you don't know what the pharmacist told the patient and vice versa. Maybe the pharmacist asked what it was used for and was told "none of your business".

Either way, it's disgusting what people are doing and saying about this pharmacist. There are people posting pictures of his wife, their home, their vehicles, license plate number, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Sincere question:
Maybe the morning pharmacist filled it and had it ready. Walgreens requires a mandatory pregnancy category X consult with the patient before the script can be sold. Could be the patient came in during the evening pharmacist shift who had the objection.

So I take it you fill every controlled substance you get since someone else will anyway and there is "absolutely no difference between you doing it and letting someone else" do it?

You see how ridiculous that statement is, right? To you there may be no difference but to the pharmacist who has the objection there absolutely is a difference. It seems unbelievable that you don't understand that.

Reactions: 5 users
So I take it you fill every controlled substance you get since someone else will anyway and there is "absolutely no difference between you doing it and letting someone else" do it?

You see how ridiculous that statement is, right? To you there may be no difference but to the pharmacist who has the objection there absolutely is a difference. It seems unbelievable that you don't understand that.

I'm not filling it because of walgreens protocal.

I like you better when you're on my side.

You can't say that because you don't know what the pharmacist told the patient and vice versa. Maybe the pharmacist asked what it was used for and was told "none of your business".

Either way, it's disgusting what people are doing and saying about this pharmacist. There are people posting pictures of his wife, their home, their vehicles, license plate number, etc.
I mean, the patient says she told the pharmacist it was for a miscarriage. Obviously could be lying, but I doubt it in this case.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support a pharmacist's right to refuse to fill anything for any reason.

But I will also support Walgreens when they fire this guy.

What is the legal/HIPPA on that?

Excellent question. Little known fact: by law every script filled by a pharmacist in the US is required to be double blind such that neither the patient nor the pharmacist is allowed to know what it is. Otherwise, female Hippos (called HIPPAs) are violated, which is a PETA violation.

Reactions: 6 users
I still don't get why the pharmacist refused to dispense even after the patient told him it was not for elective abortion. If he had doubt, why not call the physician?

Am I required to tell a pharmacist what im using an RX is for? What is the legal/HIPPA on that?

It makes patient counseling easier. HIPAA doesn't apply. I'm a health care professional. What HIPAA rule am I violating by counseling a patient on their medication?

Excellent question. Little known fact: by law every script filled by a pharmacist in the US is required to be double blind such that neither the patient nor the pharmacist is allowed to know what it is. Otherwise, female Hippos (called HIPPAs) are violated, which is a PETA violation.
Not sure if the rest of your comment is serious since you are choosing to tease about autocorrect. I'll assume you're being a smart ass

I think medications like misoprostol should be dispensed in MD office. The woman is already going thru a difficult time...why make it more complicated?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

To be fair, literally every control I refuse always is about 75% Wags, 15% CVS when I check the PMP records.
They have a point; there will always be a Walgreens to fill something.lol

This isn't a cake shop. This was prescribed medication by a medical provider to help the health of a patient. What do beliefs have to do with any of this?

If someone decides they have the right to deny medical care to patients based on beliefs then Walgreens or wherever should be required to have 2 pharmacists there at all times. I guess we can give them the right to deny medication but then it may be possible their career my be affected by it because they are a less valuable employee than someone who can fill all scripts.

This isn't a cake shop. This was prescribed medication by a medical provider to help the health of a patient. What do beliefs have to do with any of this?

If someone decides they have the right to deny medical care to patients based on beliefs then Walgreens or wherever should be required to have 2 pharmacists there at all times. I guess we can give them the right to deny medication but then it may be possible their career my be affected by it because they are a less valuable employee than someone who can fill all scripts.
If you believe abortion is murder, then giving a patient a drug to make that happen makes you an accessory to said murder.

Your last sentence is actually how this should play out, and likely will in this case.

I could see the issue if this was BFE Montana...but this is a suburb of Phoenix. There are a whole lot of pharmacies. You can choose another pharmacy that is more in line with your personal ethics. I personally don't care about dispensing misoprostol to whoever...but I'm also not trying to say I'm the end all, be all of ethics and religion. If this person truly and honestly thinks that their deity of choice is going to be angry for participating in this procedure and another practitioner is readily available elsewhere close by...just go to the other pharmacy. Religion is for weak people that can't come to terms with mortality. So we are already talking about mentally flimsy people. I'm not going to get mad at the weak for being weak. It's pointless. Just roll your eyes and go to the CVS across the street. (There is a strong chance statistically that there actually is a CVS across the street.)

Also, the ******* pharmacist needs to learn the "I don't have this in stock, I transferred it to this other Walgreens down the street" move.

Also, this whole mess of using social media to try to destroy someone's life is beyond reasonable. That **** just needs to end in general.

• Dislike
I could see the issue if this was BFE Montana...but this is a suburb of Phoenix. There are a whole lot of pharmacies. You can choose another pharmacy that is more in line with your personal ethics. I personally don't care about dispensing misoprostol to whoever...but I'm also not trying to say I'm the end all, be all of ethics and religion. If this person truly and honestly thinks that their deity of choice is going to be angry for participating in this procedure and another practitioner is readily available elsewhere close by...just go to the other pharmacy. Religion is for weak people that can't come to terms with mortality. So we are already talking about mentally flimsy people. I'm not going to get mad at the weak for being weak. It's pointless. Just roll your eyes and go to the CVS across the street. (There is a strong chance statistically that there actually is a CVS across the street.)

Also, the ******* pharmacist needs to learn the "I don't have this in stock, I transferred it to this other Walgreens down the street" move.

Also, this whole mess of using social media to try to destroy someone's life is beyond reasonable. That **** just needs to end in general.
Little harsh on religion, but otherwise I completely agree.

That's the thing though, the Bible says a whole lot more that people don't follow. Shouldn't they not dispense birth control or pde5 inhibitors?

You can't pick and choose from the Bible.

The bottom line is - no law or policy was violated by the decision that this pharmacist made. Furthermore, this pharmacist made the effort to have the Rx filled somewhere else for the patient. The pharmacist was practicing pharmacy within his or her appropriate scope of practice.

The only rub that I see is the fact that it was not used for an actual abortion, but this could be more of a miscommunication than anything.

I think the most deplorable thing of all in this situation is the use of social media and the national news to harass and slander this pharmacist.

It is also disgusting to know that certain parts of the public sees pharmacy as an entity who can not think for themselves but rather needs to do what the doctor says without any input. Someone on this board even asked if it was hippa kosher If you ask what you are using an Rx for? So ignorant....

It really does not matter if we do or do not agree with is decision made. The fact is that protocol, policy, and law were all followed here. It’s no one else’s business and to put yourself on national news to “tell your story” makes no sense...

This woman still got care, and now she's going to whine and try to ruin this pharmacist's life putting him on blast. There are always 2 sides to a story, I can't imagine any sane pro-life pharmacist denying misoprostol (what I'm assuming the Rx was for) for the purpose of removing a miscarriage. I think there is more to the story.

Disclaimer: I would have dispensed it, and have personally dispensed it for the purpose of abortion (and counseled patient on what to expect and how to handle things safely).

There are three sides to every story. Just a much of people acting like clowns. The pharmacist being dumb denying something due to his stupid religion. Bro don't be a pharmacist if you're going to be a jerk. The woman being stupid bc she can just vote with her wallet and go to a diff pharmacy and never go back.

The bottom line is - no law or policy was violated by the decision that this pharmacist made. Furthermore, this pharmacist made the effort to have the Rx filled somewhere else for the patient. The pharmacist was practicing pharmacy within his or her appropriate scope of practice.

The only rub that I see is the fact that it was not used for an actual abortion, but this could be more of a miscommunication than anything.

I think the most deplorable thing of all in this situation is the use of social media and the national news to harass and slander this pharmacist.

It is also disgusting to know that certain parts of the public sees pharmacy as an entity who can not think for themselves but rather needs to do what the doctor says without any input. Someone on this board even asked if it was hippa kosher If you ask what you are using an Rx for? So ignorant....

It really does not matter if we do or do not agree with is decision made. The fact is that protocol, policy, and law were all followed here. It’s no one else’s business and to put yourself on national news to “tell your story” makes no sense...

Law's don't matter. The pharmacist was found guilty in the court of public opinion which negatively effects walgreens PR and stock price. You realize Walgreens is still recovering from the Theranos scam where they worked with a woman facing criminal charges for fraud right? I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Pharmacist lost his job from this. I would lay him of or reduce his hours. No flexibility to act like a ***** even if it's according to your *****ic religious beliefs. The woman should sue the pharmacist and the pharmacy for negligence.

Actually the pharmacist didn't make an effort, the patient got it the next day. Now the reason behind that is unknown but when the patient arrived either the pharmacist should have said he doesn't believe in using this medication and he already found a new pharmacy or he should have told her that he hasn't yet but if she wants to hang around he'll find a place.

Now did that happen and the patient just complained to complain? Sure but it doesn't appear that way.

If you are going to use your beliefs to cause pain and suffering, you should also go out of your way to help.

Social media stuff, everyone will agree with that.

When it comes to pharmacists just need to fill medications and do their job, if there isn't a clinical issue or protocol issue, yes they should.

I will also add this, the patient should have took some responsibility herself and either called the doctor's office to have it sent somewhere else or called pharmacies to find it. If she really needed it, she didn't show much of an effort.

Last edited:
Law's don't matter. The pharmacist was found guilty in the court of public opinion which negatively effects walgreens PR and stock price. You realize Walgreens is still recovering from the Theranos scam where they worked with a woman facing criminal charges for fraud right? I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Pharmacist lost his job from this. I would lay him of or reduce his hours. No flexibility to act like a ***** even if it's according to your *****ic religious beliefs. The woman should sue the pharmacist and the pharmacy for negligence.

Pharmacist won't lose his job, don't be ridiculous.

I wouldn't be so sure. Outright firing? Probably not. Contract non-renewal? I could see that.

Pharmacist could easily go after Walgreens since he technically followed policy. It just looks like it took a little longer. The patient still got the script

We don't have contacts and I'm sure a lawyer would love to go after Walgreens if they slowly lowered their hours.

Pharmacist could easily go after Walgreens since he technically followed policy. It just looks like it took a little longer. The patient still got the script

We don't have contacts and I'm sure a lawyer would love to go after Walgreens if they slowly lowered their hours.
If you don't have a contract, what's to stop Walgreens from just saying that his services are no longer required? I mean, I have a contract but there is a 90-day no-cause termination clause in there. They could exercise that against me tomorrow for absolutely any/no reason and not much I can do about it.

Pharmacist won't lose his job, don't be ridiculous.
If i was the DM I wouldn't be able to fire him but I would sure as hell reduce his hours and make his life hell till he quit. This kinda of behavior making terrible PR for Walgreens is not acceptable and hurts the company badly. Infact he could have done less damage to the Walgreens brand by literally killing a patient with the wrong meds.