Walgreens pharmacist salary freeze 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Burned

Reaction score
Second year in a row that there will be no raises given to any Walgreens pharmacists. I started ten years ago and have never received even a cost of living raise.

Members don't see this ad.

Anything else besides “no raises” on today’s conference call ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wag has to be the worst chain to work for from job security stand-point. Power/ central-fill/ massive hour-cut after ESI deal/ reducing hours of all different stores/ shutting down the 24 hour stores/ changing entire structure of upper-management where store man is your boss, and now this.. They have always been "innovative" when it comes down to "managing" resources..

CVS treats their employees like **** but at least with them, you don't fear being replaced by robot overnight with no warning.. With Wag there is no telling.

Reactions: 1 user
Anything else besides “no raises” on today’s conference call ?
Necessary due to decreased third party reimbursement and the saved money will go to help increase tech wages.

When are pharmacist going to grow a pair?

Reactions: 2 users
When are pharmacist going to grow a pair?

A: Never.

Whatever bull**** reasons they are giving you are lies. At least last year, from what I recall, they actually told you the truth. They were paying you less because the market was letting them get away with it. That's what happens to people in a field approaching saturation.

People with some balls would unionize. Look at what unionized pharmacists get, guaranteed. Guaranteed tech help levels. Guaranteed raises. Job protections. All that's needed is some organization.

It should be said that CVS gave us our annual raise last Winter like it was any other year. I think what this means is that Walgreens is officially the worst retail pharmacy to work at.

Reactions: 9 users
Wag has to be the worst chain to work for from job security stand-point. Power/ central-fill/ massive hour-cut after ESI deal/ reducing hours of all different stores/ shutting down the 24 hour stores/ changing entire structure of upper-management where store man is your boss, and now this.. They have always been "innovative" when it comes down to "managing" resources..

CVS treats their employees like **** but at least with them, you don't fear being replaced by robot overnight with no warning.. With Wag there is no telling.

Clearly you went through the "POWER" overhaul and had to (or heard someone who had to) reapply for their position. POWER is dead. They couldn't make it work. I'm not aware of a major pharmacy chain that didn't have to shorten hours in the past 5 years. It seems the money just wasn't there. And I just don't know about CVS. Everyone I talk to seems to assert they just don't staff their stores anywhere near where they need to be to function like the general public would hope.

Further, the ESI deal was under Wasson, who is out. I was personally hoping for the moon with Pessina, but it would seem he is more robotic and plays more of the role of Richard Gere in "Pretty Woman", except without the empathy.

Necessary due to decreased third party reimbursement and the saved money will go to help increase tech wages.

I've never before and will likely never rebuke tech raises. But those have always come. And to think that's a good excuse given the giant tax break this (and every other) company has received this year is ridiculous. This is purely market dynamics, but the fact it comes on the back of a year prior without raises and the biggest mf tax windfall you could imagine is absurd. Stefano Pessina looks like the boss from Christmas Vacation except completely immune to any sort of intuition toward the economic understanding of the biggest component of his work force. We understand the company is making less per claim but know this is greatly outweighed by Trumps corporate tax breaks.

Last edited:
What is the next for WAG? I guess ... will remove all its store managers ?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And have the RXM report to the head cashier?
There’s really no difference between cashier and front manager. Both have no clue how pharmacy works, my techs don’t even know what I actually do. They think I just count c2s and verify product accuracy. It’s really comical and scary when the upper management have no clue how pharmacy works.

Reactions: 3 users
Clearly you went through the "POWER" overhaul and had to (or heard someone who had to) reapply for their position. POWER is dead. They couldn't make it work. I'm not aware of a major pharmacy chain that didn't have to shorten hours in the past 5 years. It seems the money just wasn't there. And I just don't know about CVS. Everyone I talk to seems to assert they just don't staff their stores anywhere near where they need to be to function like the general public would hope.

Further, the ESI deal was under Wasson, who is out. I was personally hoping for the moon with Pessina, but it would seem he is more robotic and plays more of the role of Richard Gere in "Pretty Woman", except without the empathy.

The point I am making is Wag has almost always been the first to take the "initiative" that are against the interest of their main employees (rphs/ techs). Others including CVS have merely followed the lead majority of the times.

I would be far more concerned with job security if I were working for Wag compared to other places (not that other places are immune from job crisis).

Walgreens does have rph union in chicago. The district manager in ohio i had rotation with gets his illinois license covered by walgreens in the rare case there is a strike they will fly in DMs to cover shifts.

Walgreens just being the standard ****ty corporate company. Last quarter they reported great earnings-" In the latest quarter, the drugstore chain posted revenue of $34.33 billion, topping Thomson Reuters' estimates of $34.05 billion. Net income rose to $1.34 billion, or $1.35 per share, up from $1.16 billion, or $1.08 per share in the period a year ago. After stripping out items, Walgreens earned $1.53 per share beating expectations of $1.48 per share", and a 10 billion dollar stock buyback. Guess where your raise went?

Walgreens just being the standard ****ty corporate company. Last quarter they reported great earnings-" In the latest quarter, the drugstore chain posted revenue of $34.33 billion, topping Thomson Reuters' estimates of $34.05 billion. Net income rose to $1.34 billion, or $1.35 per share, up from $1.16 billion, or $1.08 per share in the period a year ago. After stripping out items, Walgreens earned $1.53 per share beating expectations of $1.48 per share", and a 10 billion dollar stock buyback. Guess where your raise went?

Good call. What’s worse is that they cite decreased reimbursement rates as the reason. Everyone knows theyre making more money, the tax breaks alone outweigh the decreased reimbursement

why does WG need to give raises when it doesnt have to? tons of pharmacist out there for replacement

But Republicans always tell me corporate tax cuts trickle down....What happened?

Reactions: 6 users
But Republicans always tell me corporate tax cuts trickle down....What happened?

it trickles down to the shareholders? trickles somewhere but definitely not to lowly store level employees like u and me lol

It should be unity between the pharmasict. we have to stand in pairs for grow our sector. Because it passed many year no any grow happend in this sector.

I dont think there is any organization looking out for pharmacists, our jobs, or advocating for us as employees. It's far past time for pharmacists to unionize and be able to strike without retaliation. Remind these companies that we are the backbone of their operation and are essential to driving their profits. Time to grow a pair and demand better employment treatment and also have a union hounding the schools that are killing the profession. There's also significant patient safety concerns to address when hours are cut and pharmacies are not adequately staffed. When I floated there were pharmacies that legit did 700+ RX with no pharmacist overlap and at best 3 techs. It was a nightmare. I'd be willing to pay $100 a month in union dues if it meant job security and a powerful union lobby advancing the profession.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just as troubling as the lack of raises is the fact that the pharmacist has zero control with respect to who can come into the pharmacy. At WAGS (and probably the other chains as well) the store manager, ASM or anyone else with the code can prance themselves into the pharmacy. Yet when controls come up missing, product from Cardinal is unaccounted for, keys to the immunization area are missing whatever the issue it's the pharmacist on duty or more than likely the PIC who is held accountable. This accountability may be to more that just their employer.

Second year in a row that there will be no raises given to any Walgreens pharmacists. I started ten years ago and have never received even a cost of living raise.
I said it once and I will say it again, if you turn yourself into a sheep then the wolves will eat you. Pharmacist has lost all leverage with the saturation. What is Walgreen pharmacist going to do? quit in mass? There isn't anyone else who will hire them and the PharmD doesn't really translate to other industries. The really sad thing is CVS, Kroger, Rite Aid is going to see this and figure (correctly) that they can get away with it too. Nope of this will end until pharmacy schools stop ****ting out pharmacy grads.

Last edited:
I said it once and I will say it again, if you turn yourself into a sheep then the wolves will each you. Pharmacist has lost all leverage with the saturation. What is Walgreen pharmacist going to do? quit in mass? There isn't anyone else who will hire them and the PharmD doesn't really translate to other industries. The really sad thing is CVS, Kroger, Rite Aid is going to see this and figure (correctly) that they can get away with it too. Nope of this will end until pharmacy schools stop ****ting out pharmacy grads.
CVS, Vons, Albertsons, Ralph's and Riteaid in socal belong in the same union. The techs too and all the front cashiers. So good luck trying to pull this pay freeze when you have no one at the store to make $ for the shareholders and the fat cat in corp.

CVS, Vons, Albertsons, Ralph's and Riteaid in socal belong in the same union. The techs too. So good luck trying to pull this pay freeze when you have no one at the pharmacy.
I agree but I find that pharmacists are passive by nature.

at the end of the day though pharmacists are highly paid and will be 100% fine with 1 or 2 salary freezes.
would much rather corporate give raises to tech.

So basically if they freeze again next year it would be a 10% paycut with inflation calculated in.

So basically if they freeze again next year it would be a 10% paycut with inflation calculated in.

maybe thats a good thing in the long run. prospective students are gonna see this, and will decide to not do pharmacy. Current pharmacists may turn to other careers if they can, or they retire. and in 15 years the market may correct itself
I know thats a lot of hopeful thinking lol.
been talking to prospective students and they are so clueless lol. "I wanna do clinical pharmacy hopefully 15 min away from where I live right now, I might resort to retail if I have to, but definitely do not want to relocate to a rural area" LMAO

Probably more like 7% unless inflation goes crazy next year. Inflation hasn't been around 3% in a while. It was only like 1.62% and 2.13% the last few years.

So... I did a rotation in South Korea when I was a p4 and found out that it is illegal to have a chain pharmacy. Their pharmacy laws allow only individually owned pharmacy to exist. And a pharmacist can only own one pharmacy. I know it would be impossible for this to happen now in the US but feels like this could be one of the solutions to our current problems.

I think he was saying no 2% pay raise x 3 years = 6% plus inflation x 3 years = ~10%

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That's a weird way of looking at it. Usually people say well I get a 2% raise each year so I'm keeping up with inflation.

So if you don't get a raise you are making less due to inflation. If that makes any sense.

Just as troubling as the lack of raises is the fact that the pharmacist has zero control with respect to who can come into the pharmacy. At WAGS (and probably the other chains as well) the store manager, ASM or anyone else with the code can prance themselves into the pharmacy. Yet when controls come up missing, product from Cardinal is unaccounted for, keys to the immunization area are missing whatever the issue it's the pharmacist on duty or more than likely the PIC who is held accountable. This accountability may be to more that just their employer.
Many state boards rule that people can only come in at the pharmacists discretion. You don’t want them there? Ask them to leave. It’s your license.

Many state boards rule that people can only come in at the pharmacists discretion. You don’t want them there? Ask them to leave. It’s your license.
I certainly agree that the pharmacist on duty should have discretion with respect to who can come into the pharmacy but I don't think it's BOP rule. Every place I worked had either a company policy or an implied courtesy that the pharmacist had such discretion. The only rule(s) I know from my BOP concerning entering the pharmacy deal with entry when a pharmacist is not on duty. Regardless, the last time I worked at a Walgreens I couldn't help get over the number of people who just walked into the pharmacy without any sort of permission. To make matters worse the store manager came in to harangue the PIC about payroll issues while he was trying to verify prescriptions. There's no doubt in my mind that the lack of raises goes hand in hand with the lack of protocol in the pharmacy. I've seen more deference to a vender at a flea market.

So... I did a rotation in South Korea when I was a p4 and found out that it is illegal to have a chain pharmacy. Their pharmacy laws allow only individually owned pharmacy to exist. And a pharmacist can only own one pharmacy. I know it would be impossible for this to happen now in the US but feels like this could be one of the solutions to our current problems.

North Dakota has a similiar set up, where only pharmacists can own pharmacies. I don't know if there is a limit to how many pharmacies one pharmacist can own, but there are essentially no major pharmacy chain stores in ND.

Reactions: 6 users
That's a weird way of looking at it. Usually people say well I get a 2% raise each year so I'm keeping up with inflation.

So if you don't get a raise you are making less due to inflation. If that makes any sense.
I was thinking inflation was around 3% so for 3 years it would be 9% but I think everyone is expecting a bear market next year so who knows.

I certainly agree that the pharmacist on duty should have discretion with respect to who can come into the pharmacy but I don't think it's BOP rule. Every place I worked had either a company policy or an implied courtesy that the pharmacist had such discretion. The only rule(s) I know from my BOP concerning entering the pharmacy deal with entry when a pharmacist is not on duty. Regardless, the last time I worked at a Walgreens I couldn't help get over the number of people who just walked into the pharmacy without any sort of permission. To make matters worse the store manager came in to harangue the PIC about payroll issues while he was trying to verify prescriptions. There's no doubt in my mind that the lack of raises goes hand in hand with the lack of protocol in the pharmacy. I've seen more deference to a vender at a flea market.
Everywhere I’ve obtained a license says anybody enters the pharmacy at pharmacists discretion as a matter of law. Maybe you need a better Board. :shrug:

To my knowledge as well the pharmacist has full authority to allow or not allow anyone in the pharmacy. In all cases non-pharmacists can't even have keys to the pharmacy and can't open the joint up themselves (unless in few emergency cases, and not to open the pharmacy for patients).

Can anyone show me a BOP rule that says the pharmacist on duty has discretion to determine who can and cannot enter the pharmacy?
To my knowledge as well the pharmacist has full authority to allow or not allow anyone in the pharmacy. In all cases non-pharmacists can't even have keys to the pharmacy and can't open the joint up themselves (unless in few emergency cases, and not to open the pharmacy for patients).
I'm just not aware of a BOP rule that says a pharmacist on duty has the discretion to say who can or cannot come into the pharmacy. Like I said I've worked for companies that have store policies and professional courtesies but no BOP regulation.

Ya gotta remember that most big shot types work on a five year plan...They infest some company and immediately try to make their mark..they may do something good or may leave wreckage..But the plan is to be on to greener pastures ...they don't care about the business and don't care about you..Nothing you do will make a difference..but if you obstruct the plan..you will be history.....A well paid RPh obstructs the plan...The way to get a long snouted "manager " or even executive out of your presence is to start asking questions about dealing with narcs.....Have him, her or it get a good view of the chaos and then write down in your little book.."manager Dumbo has had a fine view of the chaos on multiple occasions when I mentioned the potential for a mistake"...you get the idea.....a bound book is best..sign..date etc...Perfect for display in court....Arguing is futile.....Oh....and don't go to pharmacy school........

Can anyone show me a BOP rule that says the pharmacist on duty has discretion to determine who can and cannot enter the pharmacy?

I'm just not aware of a BOP rule that says a pharmacist on duty has the discretion to say who can or cannot come into the pharmacy. Like I said I've worked for companies that have store policies and professional courtesies but no BOP regulation.

Why do you need a regulation that states that? Can the pharmacy be open without you? Is anyone allowed in the pharmacy when you are not there? Are you responsible for supervising the activities of every person in the pharmacy?

I don't know the laws of all 50 states but I would be surprised if the answer to any of the above is 'no'. So how can it be that people can enter the pharmacy without your permission?

Why do you need a regulation that states that? Can the pharmacy be open without you? Is anyone allowed in the pharmacy when you are not there? Are you responsible for supervising the activities of every person in the pharmacy?

I don't know the laws of all 50 states but I would be surprised if the answer to any of the above is 'no'. So how can it be that people can enter the pharmacy without your permission?
I simply responded to someone who said that states board of pharmacy have rules that give the pharmacist on duty the discretion to say who can or cannot enter the pharmacy. I asked if anyone knew of such a rule in their respective state. I stated that the only regulation that I was aware of was one that stated what could or couldn't occur without a pharmacist on duty. As for pharmacist's discretion as to who enters the pharmacy, I am unaware of any state that addresses this issue. As to my responsibility for supervising the activities of every person in the pharmacy when I am the pharmacist on duty? The answer is yes. I am responsible.

we as pharmacists absolutely need to sacrifice in this situation. our wage growth effects the profitability of the company! shareholders will not be able to get a good return on their investment! the CEO won't get a bonus, it would be mayhem! we need to do what is right and take care of wall street first and they will take care of us! so put aside any selfish dreams of better pay, more tech help, or better working conditions. our sacrifice is helping to empower the shareholders, and we must be willing to make more sacrifices for this important group of people!

Reactions: 4 users
I asked if anyone knew of such a rule in their respective state. I stated that the only regulation that I was aware of was one that stated what could or couldn't occur without a pharmacist on duty. As for pharmacist's discretion as to who enters the pharmacy, I am unaware of any state that addresses this issue. As to my responsibility for supervising the activities of every person in the pharmacy when I am the pharmacist on duty? The answer is yes. I am responsible.[/QUOTE]