Theta16

5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
I'm surprised that this hasn't been discussed yet, as it's making the rounds on various websites.

Basically, Walgreens pharmacists have been instructed not to sell emergency contraception to men without a woman being present. This policy enforcement occurred in Houston. This specific article doesn't state Walgreens justification of the policy, but I did read on another article that Walgreens was worried that men could potentially be sneaking it to underage women.

I'm just curious if any other pharmacies have this policy?

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/reader-diaries/2010/11/17/walgreens-continues-gender-discrimination-pharmacy

*Quick update: The drug was an OTC, not a prescription

Last edited:

rph3664

7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Some people also believe that it's an abortifacient. I personally believe that selling it or not falls under the umbrella of "pharmacist's judgment."

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
Innisfree
Status
Pharmacist
Some people also believe that it's an abortifacient. I personally believe that selling it or not falls under the umbrella of "pharmacist's judgment."
Fact: it's not. I don't care what people believe because it's NOT. Not saying you are saying that rph, just in general.

I don't believe we should be dispensing robots for whatever comes across the counter (or over it as the case may be) but this is ridiculous. Anyone that will not dispense PlanB OTC to eligible people or with a prescription should also not sell birth control pills, condoms, or any other BC options, period. If you're against PlanB, it should only be because you're against any form of BC and the same "rules" should apply across the board. Unless you're applying those rules across the board, you're not using pharmacists' judgment, you're using personal judgment and that's BS.

I can respect (although not understand) being against BC, but you cannot have PlanB set apart from other methods. It just makes RPhs looks like fools who don't understand pharmacology.

PlanB is birth control, the end.

Last edited:

rph3664

7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Plan B is emergency contraception, not birth control. One of my former co-workers sometimes did relief work in a college town about an hour away, and their Planned Parenthood (which, BTW, did not do abortions) would write for Plan B with 11 refills. Yes, I know it's OTC but you need a prescription for insurance coverage. Anyway, he was really uncomfortable with this because he was afraid that some women would misuse it.

In fact, some do. A poster on another board I frequent used to volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center, and said that some women used Plan B so much, their cycles were all messed up and they had no idea if they were pregnant or not. It was NOT one of those places where they lock girls in a room and show them pictures of aborted babies, and the nature of their clientele was so disturbing to her, it was the main reason why she stopped volunteering there. It wasn't women whose parents or boyfriends were threatening to throw them out if they didn't have an abortion, which was what she had expected; it was mostly adolescent girls who came there for the pregnancy test, HOPING it was positive. :eek: If the girl was underage, she had to file a CPS report, and did indeed do this several times, and on girls as young as 13.

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
Innisfree
Status
Pharmacist
Plan B is emergency contraception, not birth control.
Er, exactly what is the meaning of the word "contraception"?

Relying on PlanB as a sole method of BC is stupid, that's a strawman argument. You said some people feel it's an abortifacient. It's not, it's a contraceptive, AKA birth control.

FarscapeGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
Plan B works by preventing ovulation. It's sometimes said that it also decreases implantation, but that hasn't held up scientifically. In fact, it probably increases the chance of implantation.

I have no problems dispensing Plan B, to men or women. But I might have an issue dispensing Plan B with 11 refills! It is supposed to be used infrequently (and from what I understand is not a pleasant process to go through when used with the intense cramping and all). I'd probably call the prescriber and find out why the patient needed that many refills in a year and why they weren't being prescribed birth control.

FarscapeGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
if someone came to my pharmacy with plan B with 11 refills (also trying to get it covered under insurance), i would tell them to get the f**k outta my pharmacy.

there is no medical reason to get plan b every month. get on oral contraceptives. plan b with 11 refills is first of all stupid, and second of all insurance fraud if you are billing it.

then i hope the doctor writing that script gets hit by a car and never walks again
Why stigmatize against the patient? Maybe it was just an error by the doctor? Especially if it was typed and not hand-written...

That's why I think it would be best to call.

genesis09

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
Walgreens policy towards Plan B is that you can sell it to anyone as an OTC who is at least 17 years old. If the person looks young, you should ask for an id.

Jul 12, 2009
Status
if someone came to my pharmacy with plan B with 11 refills (also trying to get it covered under insurance), i would tell them to get the f**k outta my pharmacy.

there is no medical reason to get plan b every month. get on oral contraceptives. plan b with 11 refills is first of all stupid, and second of all insurance fraud if you are billing it.

then i hope the doctor writing that script gets hit by a car and never walks again
a bit harsh, no?:thumbdown:

meister

10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2004
USA
Status
Attending Physician

This is one of the worst posts I've seen on SDN and that's really saying something.

pharm B

Phar Noir
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Out to Pasture
Status
Pharmacist
I know Wal-Mart doesn't have this policy, but I'd never heard of this before today. Can anyone who works at Wags confirm?

And regarding its sale in general (in Texas), I believe we are a state where a pharmacist can just not sell it, and they're not required to indicate an alternative location or store that would sell it.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
I know Wal-Mart doesn't have this policy, but I'd never heard of this before today. Can anyone who works at Wags confirm?

And regarding its sale in general (in Texas), I believe we are a state where a pharmacist can just not sell it, and they're not required to indicate an alternative location or store that would sell it.
I know one of the CVS stores I worked at had the police to only sell to women. It wasn't meant to be punitive, the pharmacist just felt like the end user should be present when it's purchased. He was afraid of women receiving the dose without their knowledge. I thought it was pretty reasonable truthfully.

It hardly ever came up though, I can remember very few men trying to buy it by themselves. As long as a woman was present the pharmacist was content (he never asked anything like, "Is this for her?" If a woman was present he assumed the dose would be taken consensually).

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
Innisfree
Status
Pharmacist
This is one of the worst posts I've seen on SDN and that's really saying something.
I'm trying to ignore it...

I know one of the CVS stores I worked at had the police to only sell to women. It wasn't meant to be punitive, the pharmacist just felt like the end user should be present when it's purchased. He was afraid of women receiving the dose without their knowledge. I thought it was pretty reasonable truthfully.

It hardly ever came up though, I can remember very few men trying to buy it by themselves. As long as a woman was present the pharmacist was content (he never asked anything like, "Is this for her?" If a woman was present he assumed the dose would be taken consensually).
It's not rohypnol. I don't give a crap who I sell it to if they are of age.

All4MyDaughter

SDN Mommystrator
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2005
Ivory Tower
Status
Pharmacist
If I want some Plan B my husband should be able to go buy it for me just like he can buy me some Oreos, Boone's Farm and tampons. Pharmacists who just make up their own rules for things get on my nerves. By this logic we should not sell smokes b/c someone might give them to a minor. We shouldn't sell Twinkies because someone might give them to a fattie.

People who think Plan B causes abortion are dumb. Pharmacists who believe this shouldn't admit to it. It's embarassing for someone so educated to be so ignorant.

I don't use daily or long term hormonal birth control for my own personal reasons... I can get Plan B on my insurance. Why SHOULDN'T my OBGYN give me a script for it with some refills so I don't have to CALL HER every time I want to get it on my insurance? Maybe I will never use it. Maybe I will have a bum box of rubbers and need it for a few months in a row. Does that make me a bad person, who should have to have an unplanned pregnancy?

If someone is stupid enough to NEED Plan B 12 times a year, I will buy them a 12 pack as a gift to keep them from passing on their defective genetic material. Yes, it's a GREAT idea to deny them EC and subject the world to their genius offspring. :rolleyes: The taxpayers will just end up supporting their progeny anyway...

What's the difference between Plan B with 2 or 3 refills and Plan B with 11 refills? If you have a moral problem with it, you should have a moral problem with it, period. Don't look for kooky, made up, arbitrary standards you can use to play God and decide when it's ok and when it isn't. "Nope! You've already exceeded your allowable 6.5 Plan B's this year, Sally. You get to have a baby!" Just sell it or don't... Take a stand and stick with it.

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
If I want some Plan B my husband should be able to go buy it for me just like he can buy me some Oreos, Boone's Farm and tampons. Pharmacists who just make up their own rules for things get on my nerves. By this logic we should not sell smokes b/c someone might give them to a minor. We shouldn't sell Twinkies because someone might give them to a fattie.
Do you think there is no validity at all to the idea that a man might give Plan B to a woman unaware? I am just curious.

Just so you know, when I was a cashier we were trained that if we thought someone is going to give smokes/beer to a minor we were not allowed to sell the smokes/beer. We were told that knowingly selling to someone we knew would distribute to a minor is illegal. Of course knowing isn't suspecting so it is not 1:1 but still. So actually by your example we shouldn't sell.....;):p:laugh:

All4MyDaughter

SDN Mommystrator
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2005
Ivory Tower
Status
Pharmacist
Do you think there is no validity at all to the idea that a man might give Plan B to a woman unaware? I am just curious.

Just so you know, when I was a cashier we were trained that if we thought someone is going to give smokes/beer to a minor we were not allowed to sell the smokes/beer. We were told that knowingly selling to someone we knew would distribute to a minor is illegal. Of course knowing isn't suspecting so it is not 1:1 but still. So actually by your example we shouldn't sell.....;):p:laugh:
I was also a cashier many moons ago and you are correct. If you know someone is going to give the smokes/booze to a minor you are supposed to decline to sell. If you KNOW a man is going to try to slip a female a Plan B mickey (which would be a crime) then sure, you shouldn't sell to him. I just think it's unfair and possibly illegal to have a blanket policy of not selling to men because they MIGHT give it to an unknowing woman. It would be like saying no one with minor children in the house can buy alcohol because their kids might drink it. It's over-reaching.

And no, I'm not too worried about someone giving Plan B to a woman without her knowledge. I think that sounds like an urban legend. I also think it would difficult to accomplish. But if it DOES happen, it should be handled through the criminal justice system.

FarscapeGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student

People who think Plan B causes abortion are dumb. Pharmacists who believe this shouldn't admit to it. It's embarassing for someone so educated to be so ignorant.

I don't use daily or long term hormonal birth control for my own personal reasons... I can get Plan B on my insurance. Why SHOULDN'T my OBGYN give me a script for it with some refills so I don't have to CALL HER every time I want to get it on my insurance? Maybe I will never use it. Maybe I will have a bum box of rubbers and need it for a few months in a row. Does that make me a bad person, who should have to have an unplanned pregnancy?

If someone is stupid enough to NEED Plan B 12 times a year, I will buy them a 12 pack as a gift to keep them from passing on their defective genetic material. Yes, it's a GREAT idea to deny them EC and subject the world to their genius offspring. :rolleyes: The taxpayers will just end up supporting their progeny anyway...

What's the difference between Plan B with 2 or 3 refills and Plan B with 11 refills? If you have a moral problem with it, you should have a moral problem with it, period. Don't look for kooky, made up, arbitrary standards you can use to play God and decide when it's ok and when it isn't. "Nope! You've already exceeded your allowable 6.5 Plan B's this year, Sally. You get to have a baby!" Just sell it or don't... Take a stand and stick with it.
Just want to point out that I don't have a moral issue with Plan B with 11 refills. If I called the prescriber and found out that the patient couldn't take or had too many issues with birth control, I'd happily fill it and let everyone merrily go on their way. I'd just want to make sure that birth control had been discussed as an option and the prescriber did knowingly want 11 refills. If I couldn't get ahold of the prescriber, I'd fill it as is, as I'd rather have someone get Plan B then go without.

All4MyDaughter

SDN Mommystrator
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2005
Ivory Tower
Status
Pharmacist
Just want to point out that I don't have a moral issue with Plan B with 11 refills. If I called the prescriber and found out that the patient couldn't take or had too many issues with birth control, I'd happily fill it and let everyone merrily go on their way. I'd just want to make sure that birth control had been discussed as an option and the prescriber did knowingly want 11 refills. If I couldn't get ahold of the prescriber, I'd fill it as is, as I'd rather have someone get Plan B then go without.
What if the patient just doesn't want to take regular BCP? Plan B is OTC, so someone could legally buy it every day if they are willing to pay cash (or if they get reimbursed for meds through an FSA). Why should the standard be any higher for someone who wants to get it through their insurance company? Assuming we are talking about adult patients, having a doctor write an RX for it is strictly a PAYMENT issue, not a therapeutic (or moral) issue. If the insurance company wants to pay for it, I'm not sure it's our place to say no.

If you have a patient who is getting Plan B over and over, I think it's perfectly fine to ask them if they want more information about other forms of contraception. But if they don't, that's their business.

I'm aware that you said you'd fill anyway, but I wanted to raise these issues as other things to consider in the discussion. :)

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
I was also a cashier many moons ago and you are correct. If you know someone is going to give the smokes/booze to a minor you are supposed to decline to sell. If you KNOW a man is going to try to slip a female a Plan B mickey (which would be a crime) then sure, you shouldn't sell to him. I just think it's unfair and possibly illegal to have a blanket policy of not selling to men because they MIGHT give it to an unknowing woman. It would be like saying no one with minor children in the house can buy alcohol because their kids might drink it. It's over-reaching.

And no, I'm not too worried about someone giving Plan B to a woman without her knowledge. I think that sounds like an urban legend. I also think it would difficult to accomplish. But if it DOES happen, it should be handled through the criminal justice system.
All good points.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I heard from a few people that Plan B is not healthy to take on a regular basis. I even had a pharmacist told me she won't recommend taking Plan B more than twice in your LIFETIME. Doesn't that stuff make your stomach hurt and give you nausea? I don't see how someone can take that stuff that many times when it isn't good for your body to take it once. LOL..but whatever floats their boat. I don't have a problem with any medications what so ever. If someone wants to abuse drugs that's their business.

woosiecg

7+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2010
Status
I can't imagine someone wanting to purchase Plan B as a regularly used contraceptive. I remember when I had to purchase it once without insurance it was quite pricey. I'm not sure if it has come down in price since then but I would think that would be a deterrent for people to just walk off the street and use it as a sole means of contraception. Cheaper just to purchase condoms and use the plan B as intended...Emergencies.

I guess you never know what goes through some people's minds though and its always good to double check refill quantities and counsel patients on the medications proper usage and risks.

All4MyDaughter

SDN Mommystrator
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2005
Ivory Tower
Status
Pharmacist
I heard from a few people that Plan B is not healthy to take on a regular basis. I even had a pharmacist told me she won't recommend taking Plan B more than twice in your LIFETIME. Doesn't that stuff make your stomach hurt and give you nausea? I don't see how someone can take that stuff that many times when it isn't good for your body to take it once. LOL..but whatever floats their boat. I don't have a problem with any medications what so ever. If someone wants to abuse drugs that's their business.
You DO understand that Plan B is Levonorgestrel, the exact same ingredient in other contraceptive products? Is there evidence that periodic exposure to high dose progestins has more (or fewer) adverse effects than taking them every day (as in other contraceptive products)? Where is the evidence for the lifetime maximum of TWO Plan B? You say it's not good for your body to take it once... source please?

I think making up pseudoscientific reasons why Plan B isn't good for you or coming up with arbitrary lifetime maximums for it is kind of akin to pharmacists who say it causes abortion. It's silly, uninformed and unscientific. I wouldn't repeat those types of statements as fact because they are not.

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
Innisfree
Status
Pharmacist
Do you think there is no validity at all to the idea that a man might give Plan B to a woman unaware? I am just curious
No.

And definitely not with any regularity to warrant across the board ban on sales to me.

I still want to know what is contraception if not birth control?

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
You DO understand that Plan B is Levonorgestrel, the exact same ingredient in other contraceptive products? Is there evidence that periodic exposure to high dose progestins has more (or fewer) adverse effects than taking them every day (as in other contraceptive products)? Where is the evidence for the lifetime maximum of TWO Plan B? You say it's not good for your body to take it once... source please?

I think making up pseudoscientific reasons why Plan B isn't good for you or coming up with arbitrary lifetime maximums for it is kind of akin to pharmacists who say it causes abortion. It's silly, uninformed and unscientific. I wouldn't repeat those types of statements as fact because they are not.
Fair enough, I do not really know what Plan B is, but I use to work with a few pharmacists...one of them was Catholic. She told me she isn't against birth control b/c it is PREVENTING pregancy from happening. It is stopping the sperm from reaching the egg which is okay. She told me Plan B is killng the already formed zygote (sperm+egg) in the body. Since Plan B is taken after sex, I figure she was right. LOL...But I am really not sure of the mechanism of Plan B.

I also live in the South so 99.9% of the people are that conservative. I personally am not conservative at all. I have no problems with any drugs and I have no problem with abortion either. As long as people are paying for their own drugs and services, I feel they have to right to do whatever they want. :)

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
No.

And definitely not with any regularity to warrant across the board ban on sales to me.

I still want to know what is contraception if not birth control?
OMG, are you a man? With girl in your name I thought I was pretty safe picturing you as a woman...

I think it is worth me saying that I didn't agree with the policy of only selling to women, only that I did not think that the policy was ridiculous. The pharmacist just wanted to make sure the medication was being used appropriately (consensually). Not unreasonable to me at all.

Several other valid points have been raised as well. It is fair to point out that if it was given unaware that would be a criminal issue, not a pharmaceutical issue. It is also true that it is a legal product that has no gender based restriction on purchases. But I do think it is a little more serious than say tampons, and if a pharmacist wants to council a patient before he sells Plan B I think he should be allowed to do so, regardless of wither the male friend wants to buy it without his lady friend present. Just my opinion.

I don't know the difference between birth control and contraception. If you find out let me know, ok?

Last edited:

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
Good, they are complying with Man Law. "Under no circumstance will a man pay for Plan B or contraceptives."

But seriously, sometimes a female might be too embarrassed to go to the pharmacy and buy Plan B so she'll send the guy instead.

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
Innisfree
Status
Pharmacist
OMG, are you a man? With girl in your name I thought I was pretty safe picturing you as a woman...
:laugh: I worded that poorly, it should HAVE been "To me, it doesn't warrant an across-the-board ban..."

Last edited:

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
:laugh: I worded that poorly, it should HAVE been "To me, it doesn't warrant an across-the-board ban..."
Oh, thank God. I wouldn't have been able to handle finding out you are a guy.

Last edited:

rph3664

7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I'm waiting for RPh3664 to answer that.
Duh, birth control and contraception are the same thing. :whistle:

To me, birth control is something that's done before or during the deed. Emergency contraception is done afterwards, and should be used only for that purpose - an emergency. What constitutes an emergency would, of course, vary widely from person to person.

FarscapeGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
Fair enough, I do not really know what Plan B is, but I use to work with a few pharmacists...one of them was Catholic. She told me she isn't against birth control b/c it is PREVENTING pregancy from happening. It is stopping the sperm from reaching the egg which is okay. She told me Plan B is killng the already formed zygote (sperm+egg) in the body. Since Plan B is taken after sex, I figure she was right. LOL...But I am really not sure of the mechanism of Plan B.

I also live in the South so 99.9% of the people are that conservative. I personally am not conservative at all. I have no problems with any drugs and I have no problem with abortion either. As long as people are paying for their own drugs and services, I feel they have to right to do whatever they want. :)
I found the mechanism of Plan B in 5 seconds flat on PubMed. See reference below. All it does is prevent ovulation. People say it might prevent implantation, but that hasn't held up in further studies.

"Contraception. 2010 Nov;82(5):404-9.
Mechanism of action of emergency contraception.
Gemzell-Danielsson K.

Department of Women's and Children's Health, Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Karolinska Institutet/Karolinska University Hospital, S-171 76 Stockholm, Sweden.
Abstract
A major barrier to the widespread acceptability and use of emergency contraception (EC) are concerns regarding the mechanisms of action of EC methods. Today, levonorgestrel (LNG) in a single dose of 1.5 mg taken within 120 h of an unprotected intercourse is the most widely used EC method worldwide. It has been demonstrated that LNG-EC acts through an effect on follicular development to delay or inhibit ovulation but has no effect once luteinizing hormone has started to increase. Thereafter, LNG-EC cannot prevent ovulation and it does not prevent fertilization or affect the human fallopian tube. LNG-EC has no effect on endometrial development or function. In an in vitro model, it was demonstrated that LNG did not interfere with blastocyst function or implantation.

Copyright © 2010 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved."

pillconuter

PillCounter
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2005
Status
Pharmacist
There is a difference between regular BC pills and emergency contraception, if you find someone using emergency contraception quiet regularly that is considered drug abuse. the person can develope addiction to it just like you can develop addiction to narcotics. Surely the person needs to seek some help interms sex therapy counseling and family planning.

FarscapeGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
There is a difference between regular BC pills and emergency contraception, if you find someone using emergency contraception quiet regularly that is considered drug abuse. the person can develope addiction to it just like you can develop addiction to narcotics. Surely the person needs to seek some help interms sex therapy counseling and family planning.
Huh??? Addiction to emergency contraception. Really? If that's true, our chemical dependency class is going to need a whole 'nother discussion.

It will screw up a woman's cycle, but EC is not addictive.

I really hope you're trolling. You're listing yourself as a pharmacist. Use what you learned in getting that degree and do some research!!

Soonersyko

Removed
Nov 15, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This is a moot point. Sure this could happen but how do you not it's not happening with other prescriptions or OTC products? How do you know that one of your trusted customers isn't selling her Sudafed to the junkie neighbor across the street to make her rent payments? How do you know that 18 year old kid isn't buying a bottle of 100 count Advil to kill himself? We could go on and on and on about this but it does no good.

Leave your personal judgment somewhere else. Professional != personal

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
Huh??? Addiction to emergency contraception. Really? If that's true, our chemical dependency class is going to need a whole 'nother discussion.

It will screw up a woman's cycle, but EC is not addictive.

I really hope you're trolling. You're listing yourself as a pharmacist. Use what you learned in getting that degree and do some research!!
You could bring this up in class to impress the professor! Guaranteed A right there.

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
This is a moot point. Sure this could happen but how do you not it's not happening with other prescriptions or OTC products? How do you know that one of your trusted customers isn't selling her Sudafed to the junkie neighbor across the street to make her rent payments? How do you know that 18 year old kid isn't buying a bottle of 100 count Advil to kill himself? We could go on and on and on about this but it does no good.

Leave your personal judgment somewhere else.
I wouldn't equate diversion or suicide attempts with giving Plan B without consent, but I take your point.

Let's look at it anouther way. Is the role of the pharmacist to simply check ID and sell without any further interaction?

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist

eeyore spice

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2006
The Lofts at Kenny's House
Status
Pharmacist
Clinical Pharmacology should have its own version of lmgtfy.com.

rph3664

7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Maybe if the person taking Plan B when it isn't warranted has Munchausen's syndrome?

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
Innisfree
Status
Pharmacist
Oh, thank God. I wouldn't have been able to handle finding out you are a guy.
Glad you didn't have to sustain that emotional trauma

Duh, birth control and contraception are the same thing. :whistle:.
that's what I thought.

Last edited:

rph3664

7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Has anyone here ever refused to dispense fertility drugs? When I was in retail, there was a woman who got them from another pharmacist there (she was on Medicaid but paid cash for them) and while giving further details might reveal her identity, let's just say if I had gotten that prescription, I would have refused to fill it. The only way she got that prescription, that I can think of, is that she threatened to sue the doctor if that doctor refused to write for them.

As it happened, she did not have a Frankenlitter but she sure tried. :mad:

Sep 16, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Plan B can only be transacted by pharmacist or intern pharmacist by law and there is a reason. A pharmacist can look at and talk to the buyer and if in pharmacist's judgement the Plan B might be abused then the transaction can be declined. (A pharmacist can just tell the buyer that Plan B is out of stock...or something like that.)

Walgreens might be breaking laws by doing so, and is somewhat insulting to a pharmacist. (On a side note, perhaps Walgreens doesn't like the law that only pharmacist or intern can sell it and techs/clerks/janitors cannot sell it)

BTW, happy holidays folks :smuggrin:

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
Plan B can only be transacted by pharmacist or intern pharmacist by law and there is a reason. A pharmacist can look at and talk to the buyer and if in pharmacist's judgement the Plan B might be abused then the transaction can be declined. (A pharmacist can just tell the buyer that Plan B is out of stock...or something like that.)

Walgreens might be breaking laws by doing so, and is somewhat insulting to a pharmacist. (On a side note, perhaps Walgreens doesn't like the law that only pharmacist or intern can sell it and techs/clerks/janitors cannot sell it)

IS THAT TRUE? I had no idea.

ttopping

UB Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Status
Pharmacist

"A pharmacist or staff with access to these products can provide it to consumers 18 and older with acceptable proof of age. Individual pharmacies will have systems in place to confirm the age of Plan B® customers. The FDA requires that a health care professional must be available to answer questions if needed, but anyone behind the pharmacy counter will be able to sell or provide Plan B® OTC after seeing proof of age." - Provided by the NYS board of pharmacy

Although a pharmacist or pharmacy intern needs to be available, they do not need to directly complete the transaction. Correct me if i'm wrong in my translation or if you have references that dispute this. I haven't found anything stating that only pharmacist or intern can sell it.

Sep 16, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
"A pharmacist or staff with access to these products can provide it to consumers 18 and older with acceptable proof of age. Individual pharmacies will have systems in place to confirm the age of Plan B® customers. The FDA requires that a health care professional must be available to answer questions if needed, but anyone behind the pharmacy counter will be able to sell or provide Plan B® OTC after seeing proof of age." - Provided by the NYS board of pharmacy

Although a pharmacist or pharmacy intern needs to be available, they do not need to directly complete the transaction. Correct me if i'm wrong in my translation or if you have references that dispute this. I haven't found anything stating that only pharmacist or intern can sell it.
(That was from Weissman law book 7th edition, page 131)

IMO, EC is indicated for preventing unwanted pregnancy in emergency situations, because unwanted pregnancy may lead to abortion. In other words, EC exists to prevent abortion. FDA approved sales of Plan B OTC and may only be sold at open pharmacy where pharmacist is present, to provide consultation if needed. I think non pharmacist may ring up after checking legitimate ID for age verification, but I would at least take a look at buyer before letting it sold.

Last edited:

ttopping

UB Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Status
Pharmacist
(That was from Weissman law book 7th edition, page 131)

IMO, EC is indicated for preventing unwanted pregnancy in emergency situations, because unwanted pregnancy may lead to abortion. In other words, EC exists to prevent abortion and it is the most important purpose, IMO. FDA approved sales of Plan B OTC and may only be sold at open pharmacy where pharmacist is present, to provide consultation if needed. I think non pharmacist may ring up after checking legitimate ID for age verification, but I would at least take a look at buyer before letting it sold.
That's all I was getting at, the fact that they don't need to personally do the selling. Obviously it's important that they be there for counseling reasons

rph3664

7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I've posted this story elsewhere on this site, but here goes anyway.

At my last employer, Plan B was kept in the emergency room's dispensing machine, and restocked as needed. I could count on one hand the number of times I saw it refilled, although other pharmacists may say otherwise. When they decided to stock it, the director called a meeting and said he wanted to know if there were any (his words) conscientious objectors, although he didn't need to know just then. One did, however, speak up - a woman who was our clinical coordinator, so she would have had little exposure to this anyway.

This was when the story about the 11 refills came up.

And then there was that time when 3 siblings came into the ER for a sexual assault check (they were probably being examined there before going into foster care; these exams were done routinely on such children :( ) and one of the techs said, "Wow, we're going to use a lot of Plan B!" and I said, "I kind of doubt it. They're preteens, and they're all boys anyway."