Walgreens with desirable location or CVS with high pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor Ho

Reaction score
Hello I am a WAG staffpharmacist working in South GA. Currently making $57/ hour plus temporary $10 premium pay until 08/2022. They are working to transfer me back to big city (my hometown) this month. CVS reached out to me and offer $69/h with 10k sign on bonus for me to commit 2 year in the same location. I can request transfer 1 or 2 years later with the same pay. Could you guys give me some advice? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I dunno - flip a coin, start a beta blocker, and hope for the best? You already work at wags so you know…

Good luck dude - I wish you the best

Reactions: 5 users
I dunno - flip a coin, start a beta blocker, and hope for the best? You already work at wags so you know…

Good luck dude - I wish you the best
Plus a benzo

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
69/h for a staff positions. how did you negotiate that?

Reactions: 1 user
69/h for a staff positions. how did you negotiate that?
Cvs hunted me down at my store to offer the position. I didn't even know the opportunity exists. He said I'm known to be able to handle high volume. And there are severe shortage of pharmacist in this region

You are gonna regret going to CVS. I have received recruitment opportunities since leaving retail 2 months ago. If they are a grocer, I tell them it takes 80$/hour with 4 weeks vacation and I'm hourly, not salary. If they are Walgreeds, Come visit Satan, or Wrong Aid I tell them 99$/hour with 5 weeks vacation and I'm hourly, not salary. Then they either capitulate or leave me alone.

Also, the sign on bonus is highly negotiable; you can get 50k or more, and negotiate out the parts that allow them to fire you 1 week before the end of the contract and them not having to pay you.

Cvs hunted me down at my store to offer the position. I didn't even know the opportunity exists. He said I'm known to be able to handle high volume. And there are severe shortage of pharmacist in this region
Tell them $85/hour

Also, you should be getting 5 weeks vacation, and negotiate the bonus.

If CVS is offering you that, there is a reason behind it. I am actually surprised they are trying to pooch away competition. Let me tell you. It is not a good sign. It means they see your weakness (being special and able to handle high volume) of still working for Walgreens and think you have to the stuff to be abused by CVS.

I gave you real advice. Grow a backbone and figure out they need you a lot more and are willing to give a lot more than originally offered.......

I have come to realize that most of the folks that “can handle high volume retail” are actually saying, “I’m a really good enter button masher”.

I have come to realize that most of the folks that “can handle high volume retail” are actually saying, “I’m a really good enter button masher”.
Exactly. I was at the highest 24 hour wags in my district. You’re not wrong.

I gave you real advice. Grow a backbone and figure out they need you a lot more and are willing to give a lot more than originally offered.......
I know one of wag rxm jumped ship to cvs and is getting 77$/ hours as rxm. I have never heard of $85 or $99/ h. Could be the old generations of pharmacist. I only have 3 years of experience under my belt.

You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate. If CVS is offering you that out of the gate, there's a catch. You don't know what that catch is, so you'd better ask for an outrageous amount to see if that catch is damning.

When I do contracting for the industry, a certain company in Research Triangle Park was going at the normal rate for a job offered us double the rate at 4 digits an hour. I replied back with a mid 4 digits number an hour, and they agreed. I instantly rejected that contract (and thank God, I learned from the greedy takers that they were asking for a bailout from a regulatory action and it costed them dearly in professional liability usage).

Reactions: 1 users
You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate. If CVS is offering you that out of the gate, there's a catch. You don't know what that catch is, so you'd better ask for an outrageous amount to see if that catch is damning.

When I do contracting for the industry, a certain company in Research Triangle Park was going at the normal rate for a job offered us double the rate at 4 digits an hour. I replied back with a mid 4 digits number an hour, and they agreed. I instantly rejected that contract (and thank God, I learned from the greedy takers that they were asking for a bailout from a regulatory action and it costed them dearly in professional liability usage).
Thank you! This is helpful!