Walk in or call?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Podstar

9:48
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to contact my local podiatrist hoping to shadow. Should I call his office and inquire or walk in to introduce myself?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should try calling first.

Reactions: 1 users
You could really do both but calling is better because walking in, you won't have any control over when he's seeing a patient, when he's out to lunch, when he wants to take an early day etc. Calling lets him know ahead of time that you're coming so maybe he'll prepare for you, save a time slot, even bring pictures, etc to show you.

I'll like to add--from my own experiences--shadowing is overlooked sometimes and it's done as something to just tick the box, but it is soo important. EVERY school that I contacted to inquire about my chances, they always brought up two things and shadowing was one of them! Also, don't let your shadowing experience be some back-and-forth question and answers with the doctor. I had this problem until I "switched doctors". It's to your own benefit if you can be in the room with him when he sees patients so you can observe what it's like on the job. Are you grossed out by crusty feet, scars, ulcers, etc.,

Good luck. You're essentially taking sneak peek at your life a few years from now IF you do end up going all the way with this. Feel free to ask any more questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to contact my local podiatrist hoping to shadow. Should I call his office and inquire or walk in to introduce myself?
I think either could work. It's easier for a receptionist to brush you off with a phone call. You may have to be a bit persistent with phone calls if you don't get a call back within a few days. I did both and had better success with calling, but I think either would work if a student was trying to shadow me. If you do drop in, I would be dressed professionally even if you aren't planning on shadowing that day. Have a copy of your resume or a brief bio that you can give with your contact information on it. All of that will show the doctor and staff that you are serious about it.

Reactions: 1 users

I would call and if you don't hear back come in to the office in a few days. Make sure to be well dressed and prepared to shadow that day and ask. That happened to me and I ended up shadowing for 5 months. It's kinda hard turning down someone dressed for success.

Thanks for the replies, there are 3 private practices/clinics in my college town and I plan on calling tomorrow to ask and see about setting up a day/time. I will post back with updates.

Thanks for the replies, there are 3 private practices/clinics in my college town and I plan on calling tomorrow to ask and see about setting up a day/time. I will post back with updates.

If you get rejections, don't take it personally. Keep trying.

I just walked in and told the receptionist I'd like to talk to the pod and why and told her I'd wait. And then I waited. Between patients I spoke with the pod and he agreed to let me shadow. Definitely easier for them to blow you off if you just call. Also, I think it makes a better impression if you go in person. But that's just me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Did you call or walk-in?

I'll have to make this decision in a few weeks. I've changed jobs which has changed my schedule so I'm looking for a new podiatrist to shadow.

Did you call or walk-in?

I'll have to make this decision in a few weeks. I've changed jobs which has changed my schedule so I'm looking for a new podiatrist to shadow.
I ended up calling and was turned down at the 2 local practices in my college town. I then filled out a mentor form on the aacpm website and was matched with a podiatrist in a nearby city.

Reactions: 2 users
Glad to hear you found someone to shadow. For those in the future, I'd recommend calling first and if you have no response to stop by the office a week later.