Walked out of interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuisitoMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I went to interview at Loma Linda this morning. First interview went great! The second interviewer didn't show up. She didn't even call. I ran around looking for the interview coordinator. I was asked to meet with the interviewer later... she was at a meeting that ran late and she forgot she had to interview. Went to meet with her again... waited for 15 minutes... decided to leave.

I took a day off of work, lost about $300 off of my paycheck.... ahhhhhhhh what lack of professionalism and consideration!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

you should not have left.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they intended for the meeting to go over time. They weren't sitting there like "hey, you've got an interview scheduled after this? Let's screw that kid over!" These people have important jobs with important responsibilities and it turns out that yes, her meeting was more important than you.
Maybe it's better you left. In my experience with academics, when they have meetings that go over time they come out really pissy. Maybe it's good that you weren't the target of her R. Kelly moment.

mamd2be said:
I went to interview at Loma Linda this morning. First interview went great! The second interviewer didn't show up. She didn't even call. I ran around looking for the interview coordinator. I was asked to meet with the interviewer later... she was at a meeting that ran late and she forgot she had to interview. Went to meet with her again... waited for 15 minutes... decided to leave.

I took a day off of work, lost about $300 off of my paycheck.... ahhhhhhhh what lack of professionalism and consideration!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

umm... u gotta be kidding me, ur angry at her for not making it to the interview on time?

Leaves a spot for me. thank you! :thumbup: (sorry, that sucks)

I totally understand your frustration. Just shake it off. Maybe contact the Dean and they can set you up with another interview? If they can't, try to look at the up side. Hopefully Loma Linda wasn't your one and only hope. ;)

mamd2be said:

good job. you did everybody else a favor but yourself.

I neglected to say... before I went to meet with her for the second time, the coordinator said she spoke to the interviewer and that she was in her office waiting for me.

The interview day isn't just for them to get to know us. It's also our chance to get to see them... its all about first impressions... and I was not impressed.

So how long should I have waited???? I could still be there, waiting for her to interview me the first time around if I didn't go hunt the coordinator down. I'm sorry but the interviewer not being present the second time around, is unacceptable.

Maybe I'm turning into an arogant jerk now that I've been accepted????

Grow up.

The world does not synchronize its watches to suit your schedule. Deal with it.

You should email the Dean and copy the entire university, complaining about your experience. LOL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hell Yeah! Good for you. I'm glad one of us isn't a total ass licker and had the guts to draw the line.

I'm assuming you are a strong applicant and are in a position that you don't have to take a lot of crap.

gary5 said:
You should email the Dean and copy the entire university, complaining about your experience. LOL.

I don't know why everybody is giving the OP such grief...I would have been upset too. The application process is expensive and time consuming, and I don't see anything wrong with expecting an organized interview day. I wouldn't have just left, however. I would have spoken to someone in the admissions office.

DNM503 said:
I don't know why everybody is giving the OP such grief...I would have been upset too. The application process is expensive and time consuming, and I don't see anything wrong with expecting an organized interview day. I wouldn't have just left, however. I would have spoken to someone in the admissions office.
Agreed. :thumbup:

I've been accepted at top schools... I was looking at LLU because its close to home... but its not my top choice... and yes, I AM NOT willing to just bend over like most applicants.

mamd2be said:
I've been accepted at top schools... I was looking at LLU because its close to home... but its not my top choice... and yes, I AM NOT willing to just bend over like most applicants.
Congrats on your acceptances.
Now that we know all of the facts then you were in the position to do whatever you wanted.

mamd2be said:

It isn't an issue of being "willing to just bend over." Nobody was ass-raping you. There was a schedule problem and obvious miscommunication. IT HAPPENS, IT'S LIFE, BE PROFESSIONAL EVEN WHEN OTHERS AREN'T.

Telemachus said:
It isn't an issue of being "willing to just bend over." Nobody was ass-raping you. There was a schedule problem and obvious miscommunication. IT HAPPENS, IT'S LIFE, BE PROFESSIONAL EVEN WHEN OTHERS AREN'T.

maybe you neglected to read the part where the interview was rescheduled and she didn't show up the SECOND time around.

mamd2be said:
maybe you neglected to read the part where the interview was rescheduled and she didn't show up the SECOND time around.

No, I can read. The first time was the scheduling problem and the second time was the miscommunication (as I referred to them).

desiredusername said:
I don't think they intended for the meeting to go over time. They weren't sitting there like "hey, you've got an interview scheduled after this? Let's screw that kid over!" These people have important jobs with important responsibilities and it turns out that yes, her meeting was more important than you.
Exactly. On one occasion, I was waiting for my second interviewer to arrive and she never did. I eventually asked the secretary in the admissions office to please page my interviewer and it turned out she was in the middle of surgery. Did I throw a temper tantrum? No. The admissions office kindly asked another interviewer if he could interview me after his last applicant, which he happily obliged.

Despite having acceptances on your belt, that is no excuse for your unprofessionalism and immature behavior.

Telemachus said:
No, I can read. The first time was the scheduling problem and the second time was the miscommunication (as I referred to them).

oh... I'm sorry. I neglected to notice you were there. miscommunication??? meeting at 1pm... hmmm I wonder what that means???? could it be that we were going to meet at 1pm....

Telemachus said:
Nobody was ass-raping you.

How do you know this to be true? Were you there? :D J/K

Mr. Adventure said:
How do you know this to be true? Were you there? :D J/K
:laugh: Maybe he was ;)

the negative 1 said:
Exactly. On one occasion, I was waiting for my second interviewer to arrive and she never did. I eventually asked the secretary in the admissions office to please page my interviewer and it turned out she was in the middle of surgery. Did I throw a temper tantrum? No. The admissions office kindly asked another interviewer if he could interview me after his last applicant, which he happily obliged.

Despite having acceptances on your belt, that is no excuse for your unprofessionalism and immature behavior.

That's happened to me before and I've taken the alternate interview... They should have given me another interviewer, I would have been fine with that choice.

well, thanks for letting me vent!!!!!
I'm off to bed now...
Good luck to all of you in the interview process....

The other day I had a research assistantship interview at my undergrad U's med school. The doc was super nice on the phone and told me to drop by any time before noon, but when I got there he had just left for a meeting. I waited around 3 hours to see him...and that was just for a research assistnatship. It was kind of fun to walk around campus for a bit, but it got pretty boring after 1/2 an hour, plus I had finals to study for and didn't bring books. I'm actually not a very patient person, I just know what I want. 15 min? Seems to me that you don't want to go to Loma Linda. Nothing personal, it's just obvious that you have better things going.

BrettBatchelor said:
Congrats on your acceptances.
Now that we know all of the facts then you were in the position to do whatever you wanted.

SHHHH-PAPPPP!!! BB fact smack!

The Op should not have left the interview like that. In fact, if he/she was not seriously considering LLU then he/she should have cancelled that interview and given that spot to someone that was more serious about the opportunity.

Scheduling conflicts happen all the time. Physicians are very busy and you do not know what they were doing at the time, etc. The best way to deal with it is to be professional and not leave in a fit. I think the OP threw a fit and that is absolutely unprofessional!

mamd2be said:
I neglected to say... before I went to meet with her for the second time, the coordinator said she spoke to the interviewer and that she was in her office waiting for me.

The interview day isn't just for them to get to know us. It's also our chance to get to see them... its all about first impressions... and I was not impressed.

So how long should I have waited???? I could still be there, waiting for her to interview me the first time around if I didn't go hunt the coordinator down. I'm sorry but the interviewer not being present the second time around, is unacceptable.

Maybe I'm turning into an arogant jerk now that I've been accepted????

I hate this about applicants. We know this is an important day for you, but come on, it's a normal workday for us. We need to do what we need to do. You are not the top banana in anyone's life. And why are you so haughty? So her schedule was messed up or whatever. First of all, big deal. If you cared about getting into that school, you roll with the punches, because trust me, your schedule will be worse in school. Secondly, I love how applicants judge an entire school based on one person. That's stupid as hell. You think one person forgetting about her interview means your four years there would be miserable? You're so short-sighted and immature. I hope you're not coming to my school next year.

That was very unprofessional of you... Which med school are you going to?

VFTW said:
I hate this about applicants. We know this is an important day for you, but come on, it's a normal workday for us. We need to do what we need to do. You are not the top banana in anyone's life. And why are you so haughty? So her schedule was messed up or whatever. First of all, big deal. If you cared about getting into that school, you roll with the punches, because trust me, your schedule will be worse in school. Secondly, I love how applicants judge an entire school based on one person. That's stupid as hell. You think one person forgetting about her interview means your four years there would be miserable? You're so short-sighted and immature. I hope you're not coming to my school next year.
Well said. :thumbup:

It really stinks that this happened to you, but it's also a sort of opportunity.

At one of my interview days, my second interviewer was double booked and I had to run around the hospital like a maniac to figure out where/when my replacement interview was going to be. When it did happen it was a shortened, ad-hoc experience. However, I never got angry at anyone, and was accepted a couple weeks later.

DarkFark said:
It really stinks that this happened to you, but it's also a sort of opportunity.

At one of my interview days, my second interviewer was double booked and I had to run around the hospital like a maniac to figure out where/when my replacement interview was going to be. When it did happen it was a shortened, ad-hoc experience. However, I never got angry at anyone, and was accepted a couple weeks later.
Perhaps this is the new breed of "stress interviews." I guess too many people have figured out the "nailed window" gig.

Most premeds would bend over for a kick to the ass from anything related to medical admissions and then say "Thank you sir may I have another". If you had better acceptances, I say bail on them. The only way schools ever learn to stop treating applicants like dirt is when they pay some sort of price for it. Yes, physicians are busy, but guess what - the applicant just dropped 300 dollars for the privilege of being grilled so they can have a 25% chance of getting accepted there. Courtesy on the part of the medical school is to be expected as well. There are a number of schools that do a superb job of handling admissions and should be commended for it.

Personally I'm tired of the whole song and dance. I'm in at a top school I like, if they want to stress interview me or criticize my application I'm not going to hide my eyeroll.

You coulda just asked us, we would have told you not to waste your time interviewing at LL. LOL.

happydays said:
Perhaps this is the new breed of "stress interviews." I guess too many people have figured out the "nailed window" gig.

Oh, it had better not have been intentional. Speed-hiking up Pitt's "Cardiac Hill" in my most uncomfortable pair of shoes was definitely not one of the peak experiences in my life. It was hot that day too, so there was sweat driping down my face as I got there.

dilated said:
Most premeds would bend over for a kick to the ass from anything related to medical admissions and then say "Thank you sir may I have another". If you had better acceptances, I say bail on them. The only way schools ever learn to stop treating applicants like dirt is when they pay some sort of price for it. Yes, physicians are busy, but guess what - the applicant just dropped 300 dollars for the privilege of being grilled so they can have a 25% chance of getting accepted there. Courtesy on the part of the medical school is to be expected as well. There are a number of schools that do a superb job of handling admissions and should be commended for it.

Personally I'm tired of the whole song and dance. I'm in at a top school I like, if they want to stress interview me or criticize my application I'm not going to hide my eyeroll.

That's a pretty interesting way to look at it from a different POV... While I would not act like he did, I think you're right to some degree.

mamd2be said:
No, you shouldn't "bend over", but you might try not acting like a self-righteous b-tch and see where it gets you.

Exactly, 99% of premeds would allow themselves to get ass raped by adcoms in order to get into medschool. The original poster of this thread did the right thing by leaving. Time=$$$, don't waste my fcking time. I don't give a **** if you are an adcom or not.

dreamcrusher said:
Exactly, 99% of premeds would allow themselves to get ass raped by adcoms in order to get into medschool. The original poster of this thread did the right thing by leaving. Time=$$$, don't waste my fcking time. I don't give a **** if you are an adcom or not.

That reminded me of one of my favorite movie quotes. Maybe the OP should email the admissions office the following, bonus points if you know the movie: :p

That's the way it is with a wiseguy partner. He gets his interview no matter what. You got a meeting? F*** you, interview me. You had a cardiac arrest? F*** you, interview me. The place got hit by lightning and World War Three started in the lounge? F*** you, interview me.

one of my interviewers was 3 hours late...she completely forgot...

anyway, i actually think the op will get in! at least u showed some characters... let us know what happens

You guys are all a bunch of pompous *****s. I understand that time is money and that it's not cool for schools to jerk you around too much, but the OP waited 15 minutes! If you think you are too important to wait around for 15 minutes then I don't feel bad that you lost $300. After all, that is your decision to not wait, not the schools.

anyway, i actually think the op will get in! at least u showed some characters... let us know what happens

This does not show character (or "characters") at all. Well, maybe if you were applying to law school...

what does this show about the op? He needs to humble up and get real. Life is about taking orders/**** from your superiors. His actions showed that he is unable to do so and prioritizes his needs above the needs of his authorities. I hope you do not have the same pompous attitude toward your patients and your hospital chiefs or the world would be better off without a doctor such as yourself.

I hope you do not have the same pompous attitude toward your patients and your hospital chiefs or the world would be better off without a doctor such as yourself.

Oh please. Being late shows a more pompous attitude. The least you can do for any of your patients is to BE ON TIME. Let me know when you actually get a job in the real world and learn that being on time is extremely important. I'm sure your boss would love to hear that your report won't be on time because you were tied up with other things. Also, from what I got out of the OP was that mam did wait longer than 15 min-he/she went to look for the interviewer, had the meeting rescheduled, went to the rescheduled meeting, waited 15, THEN left. The interveiwer was the one who didn't even bother getting organized or even calling to explain the situation.

mamd2be said:

Looks like a test. guess what, you FAILED!

To the OP . . . I feel your frustration, and I don't think your behavior was immature or unprofessional. While it would have been reasonable to check once again with the coordinator, after waiting ... searching ... rescheduling ... waiting, I would have been ready to leave also. Don't sweat the bullets coming from others throughout this thread. I'm sure you will be fine--and I'm sure you already know this, hence your leaving in the first place. :p

[/QUOTE]This does not show character (or "characters") at all. Well, maybe if you were applying to law school...[/QUOTE]
:p ok, character
(no wonder i didn't do well on verbal :rolleyes: )