Walking into Adm. Office...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tp709

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of stopping by some of the local med schools that I have applied to, and just paying the admissions office a visit. Has anyone done this? Is it a good/bad idea? What would you hypothetically say when you walked in? Just ask what stage in the process your application was? Or just ask them very general questions? Any insight would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking of stopping by some of the local med schools that I have applied to, and just paying the admissions office a visit. Has anyone done this? Is it a good/bad idea? What would you hypothetically say when you walked in? Just ask what stage in the process your application was? Or just ask them very general questions? Any insight would be appreciated!

No offense, but it sounds a little creepy to me

Members don't see this ad :)
I walked into USF's admissions office, but I was there to drop something off. I dono about just dropping in for the fun of it before you are admitted.

No offense, but it sounds a little creepy to me

creepy? I know people who've done this before (thats where i got the idea in the first place), and I dont think they were received badly.
I wanted to go visit the campus anyways, and figured I might as well consider stopping by the admissions office...

if you're from that area, i don't see why dropping in is a big deal. it might be fruitless but not weird. it'd be just like calling them on the phone except they're less likely to be mean to you face to face.

now if you're traveling quite a distance to get there, that's just bonkers.

Guess What tp709,

Just 2 weeks ago I dropped in a local medical school's admissions office, to personally hand them documents to complete my file.................When I got home that night to check my email, I had an interview invite from this school (oh yeah, i dropped in around 2 p.m. and had an interview email dated 4:33 p.m.....quick!)....And whats more interesting is that this particular medical school is notoriously known for being "extra slow"... For some med schools, it is perfectly fine to show your face....for me, it was sort of a pre-interview, becasue the same person I spoke with the day I dropped in (The Director of Admissions herself) was my interviewer a week later.

Let me not lie to you about how this may be a great idea for any ol' med school....I think you'd get the drift of it by calling and seeing how freindly the staff are...then again, most staff conduct themselves totally different in person, then they would over the pphone.....I say go in confident, and work your magic.....But only if you particularly have an interest in attending that school. Whats the use of visiting a school that is at the bottom of your list???:confused:

Good Luck!

Wow what a sensational story!

Guess What tp709,

Just 2 weeks ago I dropped in a local medical school's admissions office, to personally hand them documents to complete my file.................When I got home that night to check my email, I had an interview invite from this school (oh yeah, i dropped in around 2 p.m. and had an interview email dated 4:33 p.m.....quick!)....And whats more interesting is that this particular medical school is notoriously known for being "extra slow"... For some med schools, it is perfectly fine to show your face....for me, it was sort of a pre-interview, becasue the same person I spoke with the day I dropped in (The Director of Admissions herself) was my interviewer a week later.

Let me not lie to you about how this may be a great idea for any ol' med school....I think you'd get the drift of it by calling and seeing how freindly the staff are...then again, most staff conduct themselves totally different in person, then they would over the pphone.....I say go in confident, and work your magic.....But only if you particularly have an interest in attending that school. Whats the use of visiting a school that is at the bottom of your list???:confused:

Good Luck!

Wow! So you just walked in to hand in materials, and ended up chatting?
You must have made quite the impression :)
Thanks for the story!

I don't seem a problem with it as long as you have a legitimate reason to be there(standing around looking lost won't do you much good). I visited my first choice school earlier this year (against the advice of some SDNers hehe,) and it was one of the best decisions I have made thus far in the application process. I was able to speak extensively with students and deans (made an appt. before hand), and continue to keep in contact with those people even after having interviewed (who may or may not pull for me later on, who knows). I didn't necessarily do it to help my admissions decision but instead to see if I would really enjoy the school if admitted. You shouldn't expect to influence things that are not under your control, but I still recommend you to go because you may get something out of the experience that you didn't expect.

Wow! So you just walked in to hand in materials, and ended up chatting?
You must have made quite the impression :)
Thanks for the story!

Yep, and now she's glad she pulled my file (I got her to come to my school and give a lecture series to the premeds below me,.....gave me her card in the interview and everything...We're good freinds (been in close contact) now because of that day).

If given the chance, you should try to get as much from the school that day possible. Some schools will cut you off at the front door andd give you the famous line "Sorry, All of our Admissions Representitives are in a meeting (its at 12:30...lunch time..lol...a lie)". Say, if its okay with you I'll wait"...But dont seem to pushy! Just seem interested and determined....You'll be fine, and dont worry about making the wrong impression, because your written credentials will speak up. They'll be anxious to pull your file! They will want to see "what does this student have that makes them right for us".

Good Luck!

While the prior poster had a good result, it could just as easilly blow up in your face if you are not positively received. I would only do it if you had something to drop off or you were "in the area from out of town and wondering if it would be possible to sit in on a class" or some other legitimate pretense like that. If I had to guess (and it's only a guess) I'd say it's about a 90% chance it will have no impact either way, and an even split of the remaining 10% as to helping or hurting, depending on how the admissions secretary views it. I'm sure admissions offices want to discourage too much of this, as if it works very often, there will be 8000 people trying the same approach and gumming up the works.

:thumbup: You're right, I wouldnt recommend anybody do it. You would have to execute it well, or it COULD just as easy blow up in your face. Good Advice Law2Doc

I was very fortunate to have such an opposite experience!

While the prior poster had a good result, it could just as easilly blow up in your face if you are not positively received. I would only do it if you had something to drop off or you were "in the area from out of town and wondering if it would be possible to sit in on a class" or some other legitimate pretense like that. If I had to guess (and it's only a guess) I'd say it's about a 90% chance it will have no impact either way, and an even split of the remaining 10% as to helping or hurting, depending on how the admissions secretary views it. I'm sure admissions offices want to discourage too much of this, as if it works very often, there will be 8000 people trying the same approach and gumming up the works.

Gee law, now you've got me worried:) (Seriously though I had to show up in person because the computer system wouldn't let me access the secondary online and it seemed like I couldn't finally get everything settled until I showed up in person.)

personally, i'd do it. Hell man, it's your shot at a med school.

Chatting up the secretary will not do jack!

Searun

Chatting up the secretary will not do jack!

Searun

Well in my case it worked since after talking to her I finally got things straightened out:D

actually some school have special office hours every week. I think stopping by during those hours is way more productive than just showing up.

I had a Scrubs JD moment imagining this scenario for an eager premed

...admissions office phone ringing....

"admissions office XXX speaking"

"Hello. I was bored and hadn't heard from you guys in a while. What's new with you?"

...awkward pause..."I'm sorry, I can't hear you very well, we're about to go to lunch"

"Where you going, I'll be there.....Hello?"

...phone hangs up...

:laugh:

not creepy at all. shows interest i believe. just don't be overbearing.

Well, despite some of the discouraging posts on this thread, I decided to do it.
...And it was totally worth it!! I got to speak to the assistant director of admissions, and he was totally sweet and encouraging. I spoke with him for approx. 40 minutes....by just walking in!
He also answered every question I could think of about their admissions process. So glad I didn't chicken out :)

Well, despite some of the discouraging posts on this thread, I decided to do it.
...And it was totally worth it!! I got to speak to the assistant director of admissions, and he was totally sweet and encouraging. I spoke with him for approx. 40 minutes....by just walking in!
He also answered every question I could think of about their admissions process. So glad I didn't chicken out :)

Good Job tp709! Im so proud of you...Its seems as though you went in confident and got the job done as planned....Please expect an interiew invite in the mail, as I've recieved:thumbup:

Anyone else wish to try, me and tp709 have some success stories to share;)