delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrostopherhenandex

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Turn your watch backwards, so the face is on the inside of your wrist. Easier to see without being obvious.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Turn your watch backwards, so the face is on the inside of your wrist. Easier to see without being obvious.

I have a fitbit that will display time when I turn my wrist over. It's easy enough to unobtrusively shuffle a piece of paper when I need a quick time check. At least for assessment contexts.

Reactions: 1 user
Get a silent one! Some wall clocks are super distracting and annoying.

Yeah, I actually sometimes use the tick to help set my mental timing "clock" when testing. Although by that same measure, it can also be distracting (e.g., if it's on a different rhythm than me).

But definitely agreed that having it behind the patient tends to be helpful. Same with windows (if it's an assessment office).

If you do anxiety work, that ticking sound is a perfect grounding example to use in vivo.

Yeah, I actually sometimes use the tick to help set my mental timing "clock" when testing. Although by that same measure, it can also be distracting (e.g., if it's on a different rhythm than me).

But definitely agreed that having it behind the patient tends to be helpful. Same with windows (if it's an assessment office).

I can see the benefit in some scenarios, but as a patient/evaluee I would find the ticking annoying during therapy and assessments (particularly timed measures). :)

I can see the benefit in some scenarios, but as a patient/evaluee I would find the ticking annoying during therapy and assessments (particularly timed measures). :)

There is one in my testing room, but it's a pretty subtle tick. You've got to be really paying attention to catch it. Also, most of my patients are >65 and have hearing problems. Doesn't come up much :)

But, while doing therapy, I used the ticking of a clock a ton in my PTSD and anxiety work. There are a lot of ways you can use it for examples.

I used to have therapy patients complain about the ticking, and none have complained since I switched to silent.

Maybe the thing to do is to keep a spare ticking clock in your desk and bring it out when clinically indicated.

Reactions: 1 user
I used to have therapy patients complain about the ticking, and none have complained since I switched to silent.

Maybe the thing to do is to keep a spare ticking clock in your desk and bring it out when clinically indicated.

I've never had a complaint. Plus, the background ticking is part of the example. YMMV with different clocks and your own style in therapy.

I have a digital "travel" clock that I keep on my desk, wear a watch, and have a wall clock. Maybe this is excessive, but it works for me. ;)

I use a digital alarm clock with large numbers, so I could causally glance at it without squinting. This works for me since I have bad eyes.

Sun dial. Just kidding. Something large and easy to glance at and see quickly. Always placed behind the patient so they can't see me look at it I've used both a nice wall clock and a digital one on a bookshelf. I do find it helpful for some patients to have a clock in the room they can see as well, especially if they have problems tracking session time themselves. Helps to avoid some end of session doorknob moments.