Wall Street Journal - Dentists Vs. Physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ByrnBabyByrn said:
Just look at the under 3.0 club thread in the pre-dent forum. It's like 35 pages long. I've never met anyone who got into med school with under a 3.0.

But do you really need above a 2.0 to do dentistry? I mean, I think having a pulse is enough for most schools as long as you can pay tuition.
:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

ByrnBabyByrn said:
Did you happen to notice all the smilies in goheel's post? He's just messing with you so no need to get defensive. Of course there are people like you who choose dentistry over medicine but that doesn't diminish the fact that it's a lot harder to get into med school than dental school. Just look at the under 3.0 club thread in the pre-dent forum. It's like 35 pages long. I've never met anyone who got into med school with under a 3.0.

I know 3 people who scored less than 22 on the MCAT, applied to med school, didn't get in, and got into their first choice dental school.. I know 3 is not large sample size, but come on. It seems every pre-med's fall back option is either dentistry or pre-law...

fun8stuff said:
I know 3 people who scored less than 22 on the MCAT, applied to med school, didn't get in, and got into their first choice dental school.. I know 3 is not large sample size, but come on. It seems every pre-med's fall back option is either dentistry or pre-law...

Mine fallback wasn't dentistry...I could never feel "fulfilled" with a career in dentistry. I wanted to do something on a larger scale. but...

Kudos to you that could be fulfilled through a dentistry career, you are bigger men than I.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrThom said:
Mine fallback wasn't dentistry...I could never feel "fulfilled" with a career in dentistry. I wanted to do something on a larger scale. but...

Kudos to you that could be fulfilled through a dentistry career, you are bigger men than I.

uhh... i never had a fallback.... it was med school or bust! haha... i was just making the comment that it seems like every pre-meds fall back is dental school or law school.... not that this is always true. hell, i already stated above that i could never do dental school.. perhaps grad school in pharmacology or physiology or cancer biology... that would be cool... but i dont have to worry about that anyways!

fun8stuff said:
uhh... i never had a fallback.... it was med school or bust! haha... i was just making the comment that it seems like every pre-meds fall back is dental school or law school.... not that this is always true. hell, i already stated above that i could never do dental school.. perhaps grad school in pharmacology or physiology or cancer biology... that would be cool... but i dont have to worry about that anyways!

Amen, brother.

We are MD-bound now!

goheel said:
over $160 K/ year? not bad for med school rejects ;)

I'm just keeping it real. Everybody knows most dental students are med school rejects. :D Dental school is my backup plan too. :D
BEST COMEBACK EVER!

Dr.BadVibes said:
I didnt come here to brag per se.....but I have encountered my fair share of pre meds who are cocky and think they are superior and I just like to put them in their place sometimes. For the ones that are not cocky, thats cool, cause I have a lot of respect for MDs just as they should have alot of respect for DMDs.

Oh yah, and good point about the dermatology and skin cancer, but have you ever heard of oral cancer???? Neither have I...I just clean teeth for a living!!

and by the way, there are also many dental specialties w/ lower hours/higher pay as well.....Orthodontists were rated the #3 most overpaid profession in the entire country....

Dude, your the one who started this post.

If you didn't intend on trying to upset people, then what were you aiming at?

My dad is a dentist and its probably the last profession he would want me to enter.

I was a reject from med school, thought long and hard about dental, and decided to apply to med again. Thankfully this time I got into at least one MD program. Even though a dentist's lifestyle is usually better and the time required to start earning the big bucks is relatively shorter than MD, I just could not see myself in dentistry, as it seemed so limiting. With an MD, I could explore the areas of the body I am truly interested in.

Not to mention when I talked to my brother about possibly applying to dental school, all he said was this: "Dental school??? That's soooo JV compared to medical school." Granted, that's just one man's opinion of dental vs. medical, but it actually made me think about things further at the time.

Dr.BadVibes said:
I didnt come here to brag per se.....but I have encountered my fair share of pre meds who are cocky and think they are superior and I just like to put them in their place sometimes. For the ones that are not cocky, thats cool, cause I have a lot of respect for MDs just as they should have alot of respect for DMDs.

Oh yah, and good point about the dermatology and skin cancer, but have you ever heard of oral cancer???? Neither have I...I just clean teeth for a living!!

and by the way, there are also many dental specialties w/ lower hours/higher pay as well.....Orthodontists were rated the #3 most overpaid profession in the entire country....

Is going to Temple Dental School something to brag about? First of all, you couldn't get into one of the 120+ med schools in America. Then you couldn't even get into a decent dental school? LOSER!

Fantasy Sports said:
That's because you don't save lives. And you're right, you don't look down on people who don't save lives. You look down on people who get paid less than you to save lives. That's why you're pathetic.

I'm glad you're not a doctor. We don't need your kind. Yes, the financial rewards of being a doctor are great, but if you don't care about helping people, you're just going to end up hurting people. So in a way, Im glad dentistry exists so that people like you have a place to make your money, pretend you're a real doctor, and not end up hurting people since all you seem to care about is the money and lifestyle.

You guys are portraying the exact reasons of why I posted this article. Dental students are most always flamed by med students because they werent "good enough" to get into med school, or that dental students are just med school dropouts....like if med school is everyone's #1 choice and never can accept that perhaps dental students actually WANTED to go into dental school in the first place, without considering med school.

Now why the HELL would anyone consider dental school over med school is probably a common arrogant thought of premeds such as Fantasy Sports.

Well Fantasy Sports's main reason seems to be the saving lives aspect, but hopefully he/she can accept that a dentist can save a life just as much as most medical disciplines....

But I thought this article from the very reputable Wall Street Journal laid it out nicely. Not only do dentists have a larger earning potential, but they work way less hours on average, and the icing on the cake, NO RESIDENCY! 4 years of dental school and lemme practice!!! :thumbup:

So you guys can look at me and other dental students as med school dropouts and thats fine with me.....but when you guys are on call, working 55+ hours/week or working 80+ hours/week like animals at your residencies, Ill be spending time with my family and travelling. Cya at the beach! :hardy:

lakersfan said:
Is going to Temple Dental School something to brag about? First of all, you couldn't get into one of the 120+ med schools in America. Then you couldn't even get into a decent dental school? LOSER!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

One word Dr.BadVibes: pwn3d.

Status
Not open for further replies.