WAMC- 1st time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghostboy1234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Did I overlook a mention of whether you submitted TMDSAS and how many of those schools did you apply to?

I don’t think you need a SMP. A DIY post bacc might be a better plan. If you can take 2-3 semesters of upper level science courses and get all As you might be able to prove to ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school. Your GPAs aren’t that low that you need a SMP. SMPs are expensive and very high stakes. If you don’t get a >3.7. GPA it’s pretty much game over. What are your MCAT scores?(not percentiles).

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Looking for some insight!

I'm a TX resident ORM with a LizzyM of 67... I'm trying to decide if I should start looking into/applying to SMPs... I was completely done (secondaries, CASPER, etc) with my state apps around july but no IIs so far. I am also in the process of completing AMCAS apps (Tulane, OUWB, SLU, Rush, Wayne State, and a few more). Also Applying to DO!

Context: I had one bad semester but strong upward trend since. 1 MCAT retake. Jumped from overall 59% to 79%. I think I have decent ECs (250+ hours as a scribe, worked with undeserved patients in an equitable care program, on campus tutor, developed a mentoring partnership with local high schools, etc) and nice LORs. I also have a first author pub. in terms of research.

Just mainly worried about that one semester. Overall gpa 3.68 sgpa 3.4, but that's including a 2.8 semester. My gpa breakdown is (3.79, 3.48, 2.89, 3.42, 3.54, 3.58, 3.95, 3.95) .Over the last 2 semesters I took 44 credit hours.

LizzyM is 67 which I've been reading is on the fence so trying to get my Plan B in order!

@Faha @Goro
Start thinking about SMP if you get no love by March

Yup and yup! I applied to all TMDSAS schools including TCOM! My app was submitted June 3rd and transmitted June 20th

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Well, I hope you get some love from your Tx meds. Sometimes it can be hard on Tx applicants applying to OOS publics or privates. There can be an assumption that a Tx applicant will end up choosing his/her instate option because cost is so favorable.

Hi all! @Goro , @candbgirl @PreMedMissteps

Thank you guys for the help! I did some research and I just came across this possibility...I am currently working as a research associate at Baylor College of Med, and as such I can take up to 15 credits of classes at their grad school for a grade. They have 5 terms

Term 1 (August-September) -----already over
Term 2 (September-December)
Term 3 (January - February)
Term 4 (March-April)
Term 5 (May-July)

Right now, I am thinking that I should just wait this cycle out until Nov,. and then if things seem bleak I will do classes in terms 3,4, and 5. The deadline to sign up for Term 2 is the 21st (so in 4 days) and it ends in Dec. (so I don't know if any updates I could send out then will have an impact).

A potential problem is that I am capped at 15 term credits, and this would only increase my sgpa from 3.4-3.5 assuming all As. I don't know if 15 term credits is enough. I also don't know if this would count as a undergraduate or graduate...its from the BCM graduate school but I will be classified as a "Non-matriculated individual".

Otherwise, I could do the UNT MedSci program. I was accepted last year, but wrote that I could not attend because of family/logistics/finances. They said that if I wanted too I could just join this Spring 2019. MedSci would give me more credits (I am assuming) and more structure but I guess the only downfall there is costs since BCM is free.

I also dont know how to analyze data from MSAR, and I just noticed that while my cgpa and MCAT are at or above median for most my Texas schools, my sgpa is mostly near the 10th percentile rank so I was worried about that...My sgpa breakdown is as follows

Freshman 3.45
Sophomore 2.79
Junior 3.61
Senior 3.93

I feel super confused about everything..so any help will be very much appreciated!
My problem in advising you is that I don't know how OOS MD or TX schools look at Texans who reinvent. You'll be fine for DO.

What DO schools would you suggest? I applied to the following but I realized that some of them are not good choices based on your posts (in red)...is there any others that I am missing/may also be a bad choice?

New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine–New York

University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine

Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine

West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

Last edited:
What DO schools would you suggest? I applied to the following but I realized that some of them are not good choices based on your posts (in red)...is there any others that I am missing/may also be a bad choice?

New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine–New York

University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine

Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine

West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
Forget the ones in red.

Of course apply to TCOM!
OKCOM seems to highly favor OK residents. @AnatomyGrey12 , can you confirm?
Skip the ones in red above.
Suggest:
BCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
both Westerns
both AR schools
KCOM
KCU
Touro-CA
DMU
CCOM
ACOM
VCOM
NYITCOM
LMU
MUCOM

Reactions: 1 users
Forget the ones in red.

Of course apply to TCOM!
OKCOM seems to highly favor OK residents. @AnatomyGrey12 , can you confirm?
Skip the ones in red above.
Suggest:
BCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
both Westerns
both AR schools
KCOM
KCU
Touro-CA
DMU
CCOM
ACOM
VCOM
NYITCOM
LMU
MUCOM

Yeah, it's a state mandated 90% in state or something like that.