WAMC? 2.7uGPA -> 4.0 SMP GPA. MCAT 504 (will expire for some schools), 510, advisor rec'd a retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

upwerdtrending1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know how my uGPA looks and I have plans to explain that in essays. The rest of my app is pretty cookie cutter (LOTS of leadership ECs, research with pubs and posters, clinical, non-STEM related) so I would like some insight on the primary determinants of my app - stats of course.

How does a 2.7uGPA -> 4.0 SMP look?
Specifically, 2.1sGPA but a 4.0 Master's sGPA too

Also, I took the MCAT in Jan 2019 and got a 504 (annoyed because I took it to qualify for SMP admissions...), which expires for some schools this cycle.
I took it last summer and got a 510, but my advisor says that's still below average and I really need a HIGH score to compensate for undergrad so I'm currently scheduled for June 2021. Any comments appreciated greatly, thank you so much!

Edit: I didn't include a school list because my honest question is WAMC for any med school because of my heavy hitter uGPA.
But insight/a reality slap for my "ideal" school list would be greatly appreciated too: Boston University, Rosalind Franklin, Florida State, Frank H Netter, Indiana University, UBuffalo, Loyola, New York Medical College, Stony Brook, Sidney Kimmel, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Upstate, Tufts, University of Hawaii, UMass

Members don't see this ad.

I know how my uGPA looks and I have plans to explain that in essays. The rest of my app is pretty cookie cutter (LOTS of leadership ECs, research with pubs and posters, clinical, non-STEM related) so I would like some insight on the primary determinants of my app - stats of course.

How does a 2.7uGPA -> 4.0 SMP look?
Specifically, 2.1sGPA but a 4.0 Master's sGPA too

Also, I took the MCAT in Jan 2019 and got a 504 (annoyed because I took it to qualify for SMP admissions...), which expires for some schools this cycle.
I took it last summer and got a 510, but my advisor says that's still below average and I really need a HIGH score to compensate for undergrad so I'm currently scheduled for June 2021. Any comments appreciated greatly, thank you so much!

Edit: I didn't include a school list because my honest question is WAMC for any med school because of my heavy hitter uGPA.
But insight/a reality slap for my "ideal" school list would be greatly appreciated too: Boston University, Rosalind Franklin, Florida State, Frank H Netter, Indiana University, UBuffalo, Loyola, New York Medical College, Stony Brook, Sidney Kimmel, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Upstate, Tufts, University of Hawaii, UMass
Are you URM or ORM? I think if you paired a 515+ alongside that beautiful 4.0 SMP GPA you will get much love from MD schools. I think that 4.0 GPA removes any academic doubts that adcoms might've had looking at your uGPA but @Faha @Goro @LizzyM are the experts.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rosalind Franklin, Frank H Netter, UBuffalo, Loyola, New York Medical College, Stony Brook, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Upstate,
A 510 is OK at best for a reinventing student, but many of the schools on your list are donations. I suggest the above.

Are you a NYer? If so, I'm leaving the SUNYs on. If not, delete them and add your state school.
Beggars cant be choosy; you need DO schools on your list.
ADD:
Drexel
Tulane
Wake
Temple (mybe)
Seton Hall
TCU/UNT
NovaMD
Rush
EVMS
SLU
Creighton
MCW
Miami
Gtown
GWU

Are you URM or ORM? I think if you paired a 515+ alongside that beautiful 4.0 SMP GPA you will get much love from MD schools. I think that 4.0 GPA removes any academic doubts that adcoms might've had looking at your uGPA but @Faha @Goro @LizzyM are the experts.
I'm ORM! Thank you so much for your insight and for tagging others to help. I really appreciate it. I worked extremely hard in the SMP. Thank you again!

A 510 is OK at best for a reinventing student, but many of the schools on your list are donations. I suggest the above.

Are you a NYer? If so, I'm leaving the SUNYs on. If not, delete them and add your state school.
Beggars cant be choosy; you need DO schools on your list.
ADD:
Drexel
Tulane
Wake
Temple (mybe)
Seton Hall
TCU/UNT
NovaMD
Rush
EVMS
SLU
Creighton
MCW
Miami
Gtown
GWU
Understood, I suspected so as well. I am a NY resident so thank you for that insight! Thank you for those schools, I will certainly do more research as well. Very grateful!!

Also apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
PCOM
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
ACOM
WVSOM
WCU-COM

Sounds good. I'm excited to do more research. I'm also relieved to hear it sounds like I'm in a better position than I thought. Thank you greatly, Faha and Goro!!