WAMC 2.97 cGPA, 3.08 sGPA, 509 MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

checkmate389

Reaction score
Give it to me straight. My plans are to apply strictly DO since my gpa is low.

As the title shows I have:
- 2.97 cGPA
- 3.08 sGPA
- 509 MCAT
- URM and first generation
- over 2000 clinical hours
- close to 150 volunteer hours
- 4 MD letters of rec

It took me 6 years to graduate from college. I started off good and then fell apart for about a year and a half due to family issues back home as well as the passing of a family member. During this time I was going to college out of state, going to school full time as well as working full time in order to help do my part of supporting my struggling family back home. I should have taken time off of school to save my GPA, but me being in school was the only good thing I had going for me during that time. I have done a DIY postbacc over the last year and a half. My last 60 credit hours are sitting at a 3.4.

Be honest with me, what are my chances looking like.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you follow the template? Having the details will be helpful.
  1. cGPA 2.97 sGPA 3.08
  2. MCAT score = 509
  3. State of residence Arizona
  4. Hispanic
  5. Clinical experience = 2000+ hours rotating between 8 doctors
  6. No research experience
  7. My clinical experience can possibly be seen as shadowing? I’m a scribe for 8 different doctors. I assist them on everything they do and are basically attached to their hip throughout the entirety of the day.
  8. Non-clinical volunteering = 150ish hours
  9. Other extracurricular activities= played a little bit of college baseball my first years of college at a local JC. Was on my fraternal board for a year serving as the Academic Chair.
  10. Anything else not listed you think might be important = I worked full time throughout the entirety of college to support myself as well as help out my family back home who was struggling to make ends meet. I’m also URM as well as first gen.

Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish ?
Where is your state of residence ?
Hispanic and I understand a great deal of the language but would not say I’m fluent.

You are competitive for many DO school and could receive MD interviews.
For MD schools I suggest these:
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Creighton
TCU
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
For DO schools I suggest these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
ATSU (both schools)
UIWSOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM ( all schools)
KCU-COM
MU-COM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WVSOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
NOVA

Could you break this down and provide details?
100ish hours volunteering at a children’s clinic hospital

50 hours volunteering for a non profit organization that helped single mothers and struggling families move out of their houses.

100ish hours volunteering at a children’s clinic hospital

50 hours volunteering for a non profit organization that helped single mothers and struggling families move out of their houses.
You can spare some if your scribing hours as shadowing. You really don't need more than 50 hours.

What did you do in the hospital?

You can spare some if your scribing hours as shadowing. You really don't need more than 50 hours.

What did you do in the hospital?
Clinical hours of 2000+ I was a scribe.

for the volunteering hours of 100+ It was during covid so the patient interaction was very limited so it entailed me getting rooms set up for the patients as well as checking in and taking temperatures of patients.