WAMC 2nd time applicant c/o 2027 or 2028 hopeful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucolly

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could give me any advice on how to improve my application for this cycle. I am a non traditional student with two kids & a messy undergrad.

26 years old, female, MA resident

Degrees:
B.S. in Pathobiology & Veterinary Sciences, University of Connecticut
M.S. Infectious Disease & Global Health, Cummings Vet at Tufts University

Cum GPA: 3.4
Science GPA:Not sure.....
Grad GPA: 3.7

Veterinary Experience:
- 3000 +hours experience SA
- 1000+ hours experience LA

I work at a small animal mobile practice and basically run her practice behind the scenes as well as go on appointments as a Tech.

Animal Experience:
- 300-500 hours dog walking, volunteering, etc
- 100-200 intering at Bronx Zoo

Research Experience
- Just from my graduate degree and job offers I currently have which will be in research with non-human primates.

Letters of Recommendation
-Vet I work for
- 2 professors from my graduate program
- Undergraduate advisor

GRE: Not taking, so not applying to schools that want it.

My concerns:

-I had a really really rough undergraduate experience. A lot of W's, retakes, etc. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in my sophomore year, a ton of medical issues, mental health issues, kids, COVID, etc. really hindered my full potential

- Have to retake Biochemistry (Got a D+) as this was during covid, online, and I do not flourish this way. My grad school classes all evolved from Biochemistry and grades ranged from B+ to A.

I am applying this year to: VMCVM, LIU, ASU, Midwestern, maybe more....finances.

I want to just make a short and best chance (ha) list because my finances are a bit tough this go around

Im sure I have left some things out so please ask me anything.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Lucolly
hey! so i didn't apply to the same schools as you. i think you have good experience. and my gpa was pretty similar to yours -- i got into three vet schools with 4 Ws -- bio 2, bio 2 lab, and withdrew from ochem 1 twice -- a 3.4 cum GPA, and prior to the completion of biochem.
for the D+ in biochem, i think i'd reach out to the admissions committees and explain your intent to retake it, and ask about like -- where the best place is to put that information.

another thought -- if you want to make a best chance list, and you graduated from the idgh program at tufts and you're a mass resident -- is there a reason you didn't include tufts in your list? last time i checked - which was like two years ago now so might be an outdated thought - the price was comparable to liu. & of course if it's personal you don't need to share -- i've had my ups and downs with the school so far about all sorts of things, and while it works best for some aspects of my life i also know it's not the school for everyone.

I would look into the schools you are hoping to apply to and understand their specific admissions process and see how you well your grades/experiences fit into that. Some schools heavily weigh last 45 vs cumulative GPA vs holistic, etc and if the school does grade replacement if you retook classes. I’m unsure how schools are viewing COVID year and if you are currently taking classes, but it would be good to prove to schools that you can handle the workload. Retaking Biochemistry as you are planning to do is a good step to demonstrate that you can get an excellent grade. It may be better to retake this class before you apply.

This can be a good tool to get a part of the picture for cost of the schools you are applying to: Cost Comparison Tool - AAVMC

Applications to schools are also extremely expensive so keeping your list short is definitely a good idea. And if you have any specific school questions, I highly recommend calling the school’s admissions - almost every interaction I’ve had with admissions everywhere I applied has been extremely positive and helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if someone could give me any advice on how to improve my application for this cycle. I am a non traditional student with two kids & a messy undergrad.

26 years old, female, MA resident

Degrees:
B.S. in Pathobiology & Veterinary Sciences, University of Connecticut
M.S. Infectious Disease & Global Health, Cummings Vet at Tufts University

Cum GPA: 3.4
Science GPA:Not sure.....
Grad GPA: 3.7

Veterinary Experience:
- 3000 +hours experience SA
- 1000+ hours experience LA

I work at a small animal mobile practice and basically run her practice behind the scenes as well as go on appointments as a Tech.

Animal Experience:
- 300-500 hours dog walking, volunteering, etc
- 100-200 intering at Bronx Zoo

Research Experience
- Just from my graduate degree and job offers I currently have which will be in research with non-human primates.

Letters of Recommendation
-Vet I work for
- 2 professors from my graduate program
- Undergraduate advisor

GRE: Not taking, so not applying to schools that want it.

My concerns:

-I had a really really rough undergraduate experience. A lot of W's, retakes, etc. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in my sophomore year, a ton of medical issues, mental health issues, kids, COVID, etc. really hindered my full potential

- Have to retake Biochemistry (Got a D+) as this was during covid, online, and I do not flourish this way. My grad school classes all evolved from Biochemistry and grades ranged from B+ to A.

I am applying this year to: VMCVM, LIU, ASU, Midwestern, maybe more....finances.

I want to just make a short and best chance (ha) list because my finances are a bit tough this go around

Im sure I have left some things out so please ask me anything.

Thank you so much!
I feel what you have written! I am mom (support system) of a vet school applicant who is brilliant but had a lot of class retakes. Covid devistated her academics also. Same boat here! She is a first time applicant for 2023 cycle.