DO WAMC? 3.18 cGPA, 3.09 sGPA, 506 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hk422

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be a reapplicant to the DO cycle. What are my chances for matriculation for Sept 2019?

US PR (reside in Illinois)

3.18 cGPA, 3.09 sGPA, 3.33 non-sGPA, 506 MCAT
I do have an upwards trend in my GPA.

Clinical Experience:

Physician Shadowing at Hines, VA - went to rounds, observed in ALS clinic, EEGS - ~25 hrs
Emergency Support Volunteer (Regular + Pediatric) - 158 hrs, currently still volunteering here
Physiotherapy (Rehab) Volunteer - 190 hrs

* I do plan to add 1-2 more clinical experiences starting May 2018.

Non-Clinical Experience:

Special Olympics Volunteer (event held for a week, assisted with the games and athletes) - ~25 hrs
Religious Parade Coordinator (local community parade held annually, assist with food services and organization of people/resources) - ~250 hrs

Research:

Undergraduate Research Volunteer at Brain Research Centre - ~252 hrs
Conducted Directed Studies on Parkinson's Disease (not published) - ~204 hrs
Undergraduate Research Assistant (paid position) - ~300 hrs

Honors/Awards

Dean's List
Graduated "with Distinction"

School List

I am open to any, and every, DO school possible.

Please let me know what my chances are or other things I should be doing to improve my application. I applied late in the 2018 cycle, so I want to know what my chances are if I apply in June this year for 2019 cycle. Thank you guys in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Goro

It doesn't let me edit the OP post but these are my GPA trends.

freshman: 1.82
sophomore: 2.76
junior: 3.61
senior: 3.94

Last edited:
Apply in-state MD and to all DO schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you apply before and which schools did you apply to? Any interviews or wait list?

I applied late August and submitted all of my secondaries by late Sept/Early Oct.
I'm currently on a waitlist for interview at AZCOM and I have a "decision deferred" status at WVSOM.

I've heard rejections from CCOM, MSUCOM, WesternU, and PNWU.
I am still waiting to hear from LECOM, Rowan, OSU-COM, and OU-HCOM.

I agree with this advice.
Also consider:
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
WVU
Albany
NYMC
Gtown
GWU

Thank you for replying, Goro.

I just didn't think my stats were good enough for MD schools, so I'm surprised you listed a few for me to apply to in the upcoming cycle. I didn't get much traction with DO schools this cycle, and I'm not sure if this was due to my stats or the fact that I applied late.

Do you have any recommendations in terms of how I can improve my application? (Masters, SMPs, more volunteer experience...etc)

You could receive interviews at any of these schools with your stats so apply to all of them:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
ICOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
PCOM-Moultrie (new school)
any new schools that may open for 2019 (there could be several)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for replying, Goro.

I just didn't think my stats were good enough for MD schools, so I'm surprised you listed a few for me to apply to in the upcoming cycle. I didn't get much traction with DO schools this cycle, and I'm not sure if this was due to my stats or the fact that I applied late.

Do you have any recommendations in terms of how I can improve my application? (Masters, SMPs, more volunteer experience...etc)
I think at this point an SMP/post bac will be in order. The rising trend might not have been enough. If you're boning for MD schools, a retake of MCAT is probably in order.
I suggest also getting in more service to others less fortunate than yourself.

I think at this point an SMP/post bac will be in order. The rising trend might not have been enough. If you're boning for MD schools, a retake of MCAT is probably in order.
I suggest also getting in more service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Goro,

Are you suggesting an SMP for my DO chances or MD? And with respect to a post bacc, how many credits do you think will be sufficient? I have the option of taking classes such as Pharmacology, Immunology, Pathology, Virology but am wondering how many of these I'd have to take for it to make an impact on my application.

Thanks for your time.

Goro,

Are you suggesting an SMP for my DO chances or MD? And with respect to a post bacc, how many credits do you think will be sufficient? I have the option of taking classes such as Pharmacology, Immunology, Pathology, Virology but am wondering how many of these I'd have to take for it to make an impact on my application.

Thanks for your time.
Yes to both, but for MD, I think your chances will go way up with a better MCAT score.

How many credits? 24-30