WAMC 3.3 sGPA and 3.34 cGPA. 509 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jack326

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I retake a 509?

Hi guys, I’m really bummed out after seeing my score. My FL averages were around a 514-515. Got a 509 126/126/129/128. I’ve never scored below a 128 on C/P ever. I really think I can do better. I feel my stats aren’t good enough for MD at this point. I’ll list some of my stats below:

cGPA: 3.34

SGPA: 3.3

upward trend. Last 60 credits 3.67

Research: 0. Got accepted into to two labs but both got canceled due to COVID-19.

Shadowing: 12 hours with gastroenterologist. Had more planned but covid ****ed it up.

Clinical experience: 700 hours as a health screener at a plasma center.

Volunteering:
AIDS Foundation- 250 hours
Friends for Sight- 150 hours
Meals on wheel- 20 hours
After school tutor- 100 hours

Leadership:
Physiology TA: 80 hours
Programs director- 100 hours

LOR:
1 MD, 1 ochem Professor, 1 physiology professor, 1 physics professor, 1 English professor.

What would you guys recommend? I’m retaking my mcat in 2.5 weeks. Should I go through with it? Really want to get into an MD program.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could receive an interview at your state public school. Otherwise concentrate on applying to DO schools. Post your new MCAT score here in the future.

You could receive an interview at your state public school. Otherwise concentrate on applying to DO schools. Post your new MCAT score here in the future.
I’ll post it as soon as I get it. Would you recommend a DIY post-bacc?

I’ll post it as soon as I get it. Would you recommend a DIY post-bacc?
A DIY post bacc would help if you can increase both your sGPA and cGPA to greater than 3.4 . However, you would need to wait another year before you apply since those grades would not be available until the next cycle.

Hi, I know it’s been a little while but I just got my retake score back. I ended up getting a 518 130/128/130/130.

Have you already submitted your primary application for MD schools ?
Thank you for responding so quick. No I have not. Due to my last score I only applied to my one instate MD school. Would you suggest waiting until the next cycle? I feel it might be too late for this cycle.

Thank you for responding so quick. No I have not. Due to my last score I only applied to my one instate MD school. Would you suggest waiting until the next cycle? I feel it might be too late for this cycle.
Then you have submitted your application since you have applied to your instate MD school. You could add more schools this week and I suggest these:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Are you planning to apply to DO schools also ? Will you be doing a post bacc this year ?

Then you have submitted your application since you have applied to your instate MD school. You could add more schools this week and I suggest these:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Are you planning to apply to DO schools also ? Will you be doing a post bacc this year ?
Thank you for the school list. I really appreciate it. I do not plan on applying to any DO schools this year. I’m planning on taking a few upper level science classes during the upcoming spring semester to boost my gpa a little.