WAMC, 3.36 sgpa, 3.49 cgpa, 508

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pimpinbutt3rfly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got verified today so I was wondering my chances are for DO schools (California resident)? I'm a little disappointed because I have calculated a higher sgpa (3.4) than the verified gpa (3.36). I also ended up choosing the wrong course subject for my class Developmental Biology (earned an A) which I didn't know was counted as behavioral science and not biology so it didn't contribute to my sgpa.

I already have a DO letter (observed OMM), 100 hours of nonclinical volunteering, 200 hours of clinical volunteering, 700 hours of clinical experience

Here are the schools I applied to:
NOVA
MUCOM
Western U
Western U-OR
UP-KYCOM
PNWU
PCOM
WVSOM
KCUCOM
ICOM
VCOM- VA
ATSU-SOMA
CUSOM
Touro-NV
Touro-CA
RVUCOM
BCOM
LECOM- E
LECOM- B
ARCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you have a shot anywhere on this list and see multiple acceptances coming your way

Just to add...
NOVA has been suspect of late maybe substitute them for NYIT or DMU
Also, all VCOM's should be considered (although they do prefer higher GPA applicants)

Members don't see this ad :)
hello @gensurghopeful, what's wrong with NOVA? I just received their secondary application so now I'm unsure if I should still apply
They have had decreasing pass rates on thier exams, now creeping into the mid 80's
This is normally ok for new new schools but Nova is not a new school really so it's just a bit alarming
If it's the only place you get it - go for it though.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got verified today so I was wondering my chances are for DO schools (California resident)? I'm a little disappointed because I have calculated a higher sgpa (3.4) than the verified gpa (3.36). I also ended up choosing the wrong course subject for my class Developmental Biology (earned an A) which I didn't know was counted as behavioral science and not biology so it didn't contribute to my sgpa.

I already have a DO letter (observed OMM), 100 hours of nonclinical volunteering, 200 hours of clinical volunteering, 700 hours of clinical experience

Here are the schools I applied to:
NOVA
MUCOM
Western U
Western U-OR
UP-KYCOM
PNWU
PCOM
WVSOM
KCUCOM
ICOM
VCOM- VA
ATSU-SOMA
CUSOM
Touro-NV
Touro-CA
RVUCOM
BCOM
LECOM- E
LECOM- B
ARCOM
With your stats I wouldn't worry about ICOM or BCOM, private loans are a pain

With your stats I wouldn't worry about ICOM or BCOM, private loans are a pain

I really wanted to stay in the west coast so I applied to these newer schools. I was aware that I will have to take out private loans for 2 years with ICOM but just finding about this about BCOM. Do you think I have a shot with the more established schools in the west coast like Western U, Touro, or PNWU?

I really wanted to stay in the west coast so I applied to these newer schools. I was aware that I will have to take out private loans for 2 years with ICOM but just finding about this about BCOM. Do you think I have a shot with the more established schools in the west coast like Western U, Touro, or PNWU?
Yes - you have a shot
Apply broadly (15-20 schools)

What's wrong with their clinicals? I've heard about their strict rules but I'm okay with that. This was the first and only secondary I've submitted so far but now I am worried about this.
The quality is not good, some current students I talked to described it as glorified shadowing. They also said that there are not many year long sites and even if you do get a rotation in FL, you often end up traveling very far for them and then relocating a couple weeks/months later. The relocating is not that specific to LECOM-B, but commuting 3+ hours away for a 4 week rotation is, more or less. Also, many students have to travel to other states (PA comes to mind) for their rotations. For me, I wouldn’t be so concerned with the traveling as much as the (supposedly) bad quality of the rotations themselves. However, good students will make the best of it and tend to do fine come match day.

Reactions: 1 user