Aug 31, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Stats:
cGPA: 3.45
BCPM: 3.05
MCAT: 511 (127/128/128/128)
Non-trad, strong upward trend junior/senior years (4.0) while working full-time
>100 hrs shadowing (family medicine, peds, ortho, OB/GYN)
>100 hrs clinical work experience
>200 hrs volunteer work w/disadvantaged populations
>200 hours of non-clinical volunteer work
Veteran
2 years of research experience
Lots of leadership experience (committee chair, program manager, etc...)
Fluent in another language
IL resident

I have already applied to 28 MD schools, but I'm looking to add a few more if anyone has any recommendations. I've also started filling out AACOMAS, but I haven't submitted. Any advice would be appreciated!

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Where did you apply to MD schools? Where are you planning to apply for DO schools?

OP
TurtleAL312
Aug 31, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
MD:
Albert Einstein
CA Northstate
Central Michigan
Cooper
East TN
GWU
Howard
Maryland
Michigan State
OHSU
Rush
Southern IL
Tufts
Tulane
UA-Phoenix
UA-Tucson
UCLA
UCSD
UChicago
Cincinnati
UIC
UMN
USC (Keck)
South Carolina-Greenville
UVA
USUHS
Wake Forest
Western Michigan

DO:
BCOM
CCOM
LECOM
RVU-COM
TUCOM-CA
VCOM
WesternU

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Being a veteran with a good grade trend definitely counts for a fair amount. Are you from the south/central part of the state(ie south of I-80 corridor)?

I may very well be wrong because I'm just going off a vague memory but I've heard Alabama in addition to ETSU and Michigan St treat veterans as in state applicants in their admission. Worth looking into though.

You should also be applying to Loyola and RFU. MCW and U of WI are also worth a look

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You have applied to quite a few state public schools that accept few non residents with your stats.Consider adding these MD schools:
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Vermont
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Easter Virginia

OP
TurtleAL312
Aug 31, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Being a veteran with a good grade trend definitely counts for a fair amount. Are you from the south/central part of the state(ie south of I-80 corridor)?

I may very well be wrong because I'm just going off a vague memory but I've heard Alabama in addition to ETSU and Michigan St treat veterans as in state applicants in their admission. Worth looking into though.

You should also be applying to Loyola and RFU. MCW and U of WI are also worth a look
I am from the Chicago area, specifically Hyde Park near UChicago. I'll look into Alabama and add Loyola/Rosalind Franklin to my list. Thank you!

You have applied to quite a few state public schools that accept few non residents with your stats.Consider adding these MD schools:
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Vermont
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Easter Virginia
I tried to select state schools where I had ties to the state, but I do realize they are still long shots. Many of the schools you listed are ones I already have marked in MSAR as possible additions, so I guess I will pull the trigger there and add them! Thank you so much!

Any ideas of my rough chances on getting accepted this cycle? My husband is still active duty and we are trying to plan out how things will work if I am not accepted (he will be separating if I am). Unfortunately, our current location is not exactly full of educational opportunities, particularly post-bacc/SMP ones, so we would have to live apart if I go that route.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
I am from the Chicago area, specifically Hyde Park near UChicago. I'll look into Alabama and add Loyola/Rosalind Franklin to my list. Thank you!

I tried to select state schools where I had ties to the state, but I do realize they are still long shots. Many of the schools you listed are ones I already have marked in MSAR as possible additions, so I guess I will pull the trigger there and add them! Thank you so much!

Any ideas of my rough chances on getting accepted this cycle? My husband is still active duty and we are trying to plan out how things will work if I am not accepted (he will be separating if I am). Unfortunately, our current location is not exactly full of educational opportunities, particularly post-bacc/SMP ones, so we would have to live apart if I go that route.
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance but you can increase those odds by applying to more schools such as the ones I listed. Chance are very high for a DO acceptance so if you find other DO schools in areas of the country that appeal to you then apply to those also.