WAMC: 3.48 cGPA, 509 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdhuang10

Reaction score
I graduated from Emory University in 2018 with a cGPA of 3.48. In 2018, I also took the MCAT for the first time and got a 508 (126/128/127/127). I applied that cycle and did not receive an interview invitation from any of the schools. Since then, I started a master's program in medical science at Boston University and just retook the MCAT. My new score is 509 (124/128/129/128). I'm relieved that I didn't get a lower score than my previous MCAT, but I'm very concerned about how my chemistry score dropped by 2 points. I'm not sure how I should proceed with applications this cycle and would really appreciate some advice. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your ECs ? Any physician shadowing or clinical volunteering or employment with patient contact hours ?
I have physician shadowing hours. I took part in a medical brigade club at my school, and we went to Honduras for a week in the summer to help out in a community there. I returned my second year as the vice president of that group. After college, I worked as a medical scribe at an orthopedic practice for a year, before beginning my master's program. I'm about to return to that job part-time for this upcoming year as I work on my thesis paper.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
UMass
Tufts
BU
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have only a 50% chance for a MD acceptance. You should also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
CUSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)

I suggest these schools with your stats:
UMass
Tufts
BU
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have only a 50% chance for a MD acceptance. You should also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
CUSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
Thank you, I really appreciate the help. A lot of these schools were suggested by my master's program, so it's nice to get a similar second opinion. I feel better about moving forward.

Last edited: