WAMC 3.52/521 Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbguy

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post and offer any advice you might have. I’m in a bit of a tricky situation so any advice is very appreciated.

My current situation is this: I applied this past year (2020), and I am currently on 4 waitlists: USC, Miami, UNR (Reno), and California University of Science and Medicine. I received an acceptance to the Uniformed Services University (military school), but have since been medically disqualified due to some prior injuries. I am mainly curious if I should hold out until I hear from the 4 waitlists, or if I should prepare another application to send in this upcoming year. I’m also hoping that previously being accepted to a school - but ultimately not attending - will not hurt my chances at reapplying to other schools.

Last year I submitted when the application opened, but due to a transcript mailing issue my app wasn’t verified until early August. My secondaries weren’t complete until mid-September.

My application largely hasn’t changed much since my first application this past year, however I have worked the past 10 months in a new job as an MA in an oncology office, and I’ve spent the past year in a new leadership role within an existing volunteer experience. I’m thinking I can probably get another physician letter of rec or two though.

GPA: 3.52 (upward trend)
Science GPA: 3.48
MCAT: 521

Residence: California
Ties to other places: No
Ethnicity: ORM (white male)

Research:
200 hours as a general research assistant in a psychology lab

Shadowing:
100 hours shadowing medical residents

Clinical Volunteering:
2000 hours in various roles in free homeless clinic over 5 years, including head volunteer running the clinics.
About 15 hours as a volunteer EMT
2 international medical trips

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
About 20 hours helping rebuild houses after a local natural disaster

Non-Clinical Employment:
1.5 years as a yoga studio employee
Lifeguard for 3 years

Clinical Employment:
8 months as an ER Technician
2 years as an ER scribe
*10 months as a medical assistant in a busy oncology office (new on reapplication)*

Teaching/Tutoring:
About 50 hours teaching elementary students about nutrition

Leadership:
Clinic Coordinator for free homeless clinic
Chief scribe in a busy emergency department
Premed fraternity president and committee chairman

LORs:
1 physician
1 admin/boss
2 science professors
1 non-science professor

Specialties of Interest:
Internal medicine, emergency

Current School List:

2020/21 Application (40 Schools)
Albany, Boston University, California University of Science and Medicine, Case Western, Florida Atlantic, Rosalind Franklin University, Cooper, Drexel, Emory, George Washington, Georgetown, Indiana University, Keck USC, Lewis Katz Temple, Stritch Loyola, Renaissance at Stony Brook, University of Vermont, Rush, Rutgers New Jersey, Saint Louis University, Thomas Jefferson, Stanford, Tufts, Tulane, Uniformed Services, all the UCs, UNR (reno), Univ of Maryland, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Miami Miller, Univ of Kentucky, Univ of Iowa, Univ of Colorado, Univ of Kansas

I clearly applied to a ton of schools the first time around (including some that were definitely a reach) and I’m thinking maybe around 20-25 this time.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your 4 waitlists. They will likely lead to an acceptance, but the best course of action is to prepare to reapply, unless you expect to take a year between applications. Timeliness of your application is a prominent factor in receiving attention from schools, you don't want to disadvantage yourself this cycle clinging to a hope. I hope you move off a waitlist in the upcoming months, best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I think one of those WLs will most likely turn into an acceptance. I also think that you should always be prepared to submit your app ASAP when it opens if you neee to reapply. Overall your activities are great, MCAT is fantastic, and GPA is on the low side (but okay). Ultimately you got 5 interviews, so your app was strong and there was no glaring weakness. It’s possible interview practice can help for the next round. The new MA position is certainly valuable.

Of your previous list, there are definitely a few that were low yield: Rutgers, Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, Cooper.

If you need to reapply I’d definitely add some schools that you didn’t apply to last time. Look into: Rochester, Hofstra, Wake Forest, Einstein, MCW, USF, Western Michigan, Oakland, Cincinnati,

Reactions: 1 user