Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
10+ Year Member
Verified Expert
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2011
  1. Academic Administration
    Are you eligible for application fee assistance programs? Have you ever participated in academic enrichment programs? Have you networked with admissions recruiters, diversity/student affairs staff, or students who are AMSA/SNMA members who could connect you to their peers with similar stories as yours? Any networking with students on SDN?

In the context of your application, your volunteering hours are on par with the majority of applicants, and research hours are fine (though if you did it as part of a course as opposed to an independent study, you shouldn't be counting those hours as an experience).

Reactions: 1 user
    About the Ads

paveldatsyuk

2+ Year Member
    May 14, 2018
    1. Medical Student (Accepted)
      Are you eligible for application fee assistance programs? Have you ever participated in academic enrichment programs? Have you networked with admissions recruiters, diversity/student affairs staff, or students who are AMSA/SNMA members who could connect you to their peers with similar stories as yours? Any networking with students on SDN?

In the context of your application, your volunteering hours are on par with the majority of applicants, and research hours are fine (though if you did it as part of a course as opposed to an independent study, you shouldn't be counting those hours as an experience).
      I'm not sure if I'm eligible for application fee assistance programs. My parents and grandma agreed to help with my application fees and I've also got about 3k saved up. I did receive a pell grant and full years worth of tuition + a $2000 stipend for every quarter for the past year at my uni, but I believe the requirements for eligibility are slightly different for that.

I haven't done any networking with any of the groups that you mentioned and I never really viewed myself as a disadvantaged applicant until recently a health professions advisor brought to my attention that perhaps I am disadvantaged in that the number and quality of opportunities I've had are lower than most other students. Is it too late to make some connections that might help me out in this cycle?

edit: Thanks for your reply, by the way!

Last edited:

paveldatsyuk

2+ Year Member
      May 14, 2018
      1. Medical Student (Accepted)
        OP, delete Brown, U cincy, both U AZs, CNU

add UCSF , Keck, SLU, Creighton, Emory, but get in more service to others,
        Thank you! I had UCSF originally but I thought it was too much of a longshot. With the suggestions from this thread I'll have 30 MD schools and probably about 7 DO schools. Does this seem like a good number for my overall app?

Goro

10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Silver Member
        Gold Member
        Jun 11, 2010
        Somewhere west of St. Louis
        1. Non-Student
          Thank you! I had UCSF originally but I thought it was too much of a longshot. With the suggestions from this thread I'll have 30 MD schools and probably about 7 DO schools. Does this seem like a good number for my overall app?
          That's fine

BlackMathMajor

2+ Year Member
          Apr 12, 2018
          1. Pre-Medical
            Off the top of my head, UCSF, Dartmouth, and Columbia like reinvention. A couple top schools like that won't hurt. It's a reach for sure, and your MCAT's low for them, but they might bite. We love underdogs.

About the Ads
            Status
            Not open for further replies.