• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

WAMC? 3.57cGPA, 3.53 sGPA, 524 MCAT

natalux

Apr 15, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey guys! I made one previous post here asking for help with my school list, but now that I have a more solidified school list I wanted to make one more post to see if I'm applying to too many or too few/if my "final" list is good. If posting twice breaks any rules, let me know.

• cGPA and sGPA: 3.57, 3.53
  • MCAT: 524: 131/130/131/132
  • State of residence: Ohio
  • Demographics: ORM, Indian female
  • Undergraduate institution or category: state school
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • 200 hrs (from 2017-2020) at a free clinic, as a patient check-in volunteer & patient satisfaction coordinator (basically talking to patients and asking about their experience/what could be improved etc).
    • ~90 hrs of misc hospital volunteering, split into 30 hours each summer in my hometown
  • Research experience and productivity
    • 400 hrs in a clinical neuroscience lab, no pubs/posters or anything
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • 15 hrs shadowing a primary care provider
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • 200 hours as a crisis counselor with Crisis Text Line. Starting at the beginning of May, will continue throughout my gap year
    • 30 hours over the course of 1 semester tutoring kids at a local library (should I even include this?)
    • 40 hours on an alternate spring break trip, focusing on food insecurity + hunger in DC
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • 350 hours working as a peer tutor for gen chem, organic chem, physics
    • Hobby: lots of hours powerlifting, I competed my freshman year and made it to collegiate nationals, now I just do it for fun
    • Artistic Endeavors: been on an acappella team all 4 years of college as a singer and beatboxer, attended lots of competitions, lots of solos etc
  • Relevant honors or awards
    • Full-ride merit scholarship to my undergrad, about 40 students selected every year

Schools:
Albert Einstein
Boston University
Case Western
Hofstra
Drexel
Emory
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Mt. Sinai
USC Keck
Temple
NYMC
NYU (ultra mega reach i know)
Ohio State
Seton Hall
Toledo
Brown
Tufts
USF Morsani
Cincinnati
University of Miami
University of Pittsburgh
UVA
Wash U
Wright State

Oct 14, 2011
  1. Academic Administration
Those shadowing hours are not much... not sure how much that will matter given that you have 200+ hours of clinical volunteering claimed. I don't think your GPA will help you reach for WashU (I could be wrong, since many think they are very MCAT driven). Definitely all your in-state options should be considered with that MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

BSMDDAD

Apr 25, 2020
  1. Advanced Practice Provider
You have an excellent MCAT but as you know your GPA is low for even an average medical school. I would consider dropping Brown U, NYU, Pittsburgh and Washington U. Not sure about your chances at Brown U and Case Western either however I will keep Case as it is close to your home. Of course at this stage you need to get enough interviews. The final selection depends a lot on the interview. You have a very good chance of getting into one of the Ohio schools if you have at least decent interview skills.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.