WAMC? 3.57cGPA, 3.53 sGPA, 524 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natalux

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I made one previous post here asking for help with my school list, but now that I have a more solidified school list I wanted to make one more post to see if I'm applying to too many or too few/if my "final" list is good. If posting twice breaks any rules, let me know.

• cGPA and sGPA: 3.57, 3.53
  • MCAT: 524: 131/130/131/132
  • State of residence: Ohio
  • Demographics: ORM, Indian female
  • Undergraduate institution or category: state school
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • 200 hrs (from 2017-2020) at a free clinic, as a patient check-in volunteer & patient satisfaction coordinator (basically talking to patients and asking about their experience/what could be improved etc).
    • ~90 hrs of misc hospital volunteering, split into 30 hours each summer in my hometown
  • Research experience and productivity
    • 400 hrs in a clinical neuroscience lab, no pubs/posters or anything
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • 15 hrs shadowing a primary care provider
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • 200 hours as a crisis counselor with Crisis Text Line. Starting at the beginning of May, will continue throughout my gap year
    • 30 hours over the course of 1 semester tutoring kids at a local library (should I even include this?)
    • 40 hours on an alternate spring break trip, focusing on food insecurity + hunger in DC
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • 350 hours working as a peer tutor for gen chem, organic chem, physics
    • Hobby: lots of hours powerlifting, I competed my freshman year and made it to collegiate nationals, now I just do it for fun
    • Artistic Endeavors: been on an acappella team all 4 years of college as a singer and beatboxer, attended lots of competitions, lots of solos etc
  • Relevant honors or awards
    • Full-ride merit scholarship to my undergrad, about 40 students selected every year

Schools:
Albert Einstein
Boston University
Case Western
Hofstra
Drexel
Emory
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Mt. Sinai
USC Keck
Temple
NYMC
NYU (ultra mega reach i know)
Ohio State
Seton Hall
Toledo
Brown
Tufts
USF Morsani
Cincinnati
University of Miami
University of Pittsburgh
UVA
Wash U
Wright State

Members don't see this ad.

Those shadowing hours are not much... not sure how much that will matter given that you have 200+ hours of clinical volunteering claimed. I don't think your GPA will help you reach for WashU (I could be wrong, since many think they are very MCAT driven). Definitely all your in-state options should be considered with that MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Add NEOMED and consider these schools:
Rochester
Jefferson
Miami
USF Morsani
Western Michigan

Thank you! Are there any on my list that you think are too unrealistic with my GPA? (other than WashU as @Mr.Smile12 mentioned)

You have an excellent MCAT but as you know your GPA is low for even an average medical school. I would consider dropping Brown U, NYU, Pittsburgh and Washington U. Not sure about your chances at Brown U and Case Western either however I will keep Case as it is close to your home. Of course at this stage you need to get enough interviews. The final selection depends a lot on the interview. You have a very good chance of getting into one of the Ohio schools if you have at least decent interview skills.

I think your GPA is way too low for T20 but for the rest you should be fine