WAMC (3.58 cGPA 3.58 sGPA 512 MCAT) Varsity Athlete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thinking@home

Reaction score
Hi, after scouring sdn looking at posts with stats similar-ish to mine this is the list of Med schools I curated. Are there any schools I should add or take off? The bolded schools are my big reach schools

I also wanted to note that I graduated a semester early (applying this cycle) I have only shadowed for around 20 hours because I was planning on shadowing after I graduated early, but now I am not able to because of the pandemic.

Race: Asian (Female)

Undergraduate Institution: Top 10 Private undergraduate school

Major: B.S. Molecular Biology

cGPA: 3.58

sGPA: 3.58

MCAT: 512 (128/127/129/128)

took it March 14th and I was debating on retaking it but decided not to because not knowing when I would've even been able to take the test was stressing me out

Clinical Volunteering
  • 250+ hours children's hospital volunteer (watching and playing with patients/helping families)

Non-Clinical Volunteering
  • 100+ hours volunteering coaching local children in sports
  • 80 hours volunteering at stray cat vet center
  • 50 hours tutoring local children through school club

Research Experience
  • 3 Co-author publications
  • 1,800+ hours of working at translational genetics lab

Leadership
  • 3 year starter on college varsity sports team
  • Leadership cohort for student athletes
Awards/Honors
  • idek if this counts but I received an award that my team voted for me to recieve
  • Dean’s List for every semester except 2

I am a PA resident!
Drexel
Gesinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
Temple Med
Penn State Med
Thomas Jefferson Med
Upitt Med
Tufts University School of Medicine
Albany
New York Medical College
State University of New York Upstate Medical University
Georgetown
Howard University College of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
University of Louisville School of Medicine
University of Kentucky College of Medicine
University of Miami
Tulane (NOLA)
Wake Forest(NC)
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
University of California, Davis, School of Medicine
University of California, Riverside School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

Why Howard University SOM? Mostly they will accept underrepresented/socioeconomically disadvantaged applicants, especially from African-American communities to serve those communities.

I think Rush applicants in general have much more clinical exposure than your description.

Challenging to get into California schools you list IMO. Check all the OOS stats for other public schools on your list.

How did you decide on your schools list? UC Davis only matriculated one resident last year. U Washington accepts less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest (and the majority of that 1% are MD-PhD applicants ).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
List looks good mostly mid tier schools. Like most students applying everyone has a weak and strong spot. Your gpa on lower side but in range and mcat slightly above range . Full time athletics looks good and shows character commitment since a real time suck which may excuse lower gpa . Rest of ec generic but good enough. Only downside is mcat 512 not bad but average Asian accepted applicants with no sweat acceptance I heard is 513. But overall you in a good place and a competitive chance

List looks good mostly mid tier schools. Like most students applying everyone has a weak and strong spot. Your gpa on lower side but in range and mcat slightly above range . Full time athletics looks good and shows character commitment since a real time suck which may excuse lower gpa . Rest of ec generic but good enough. Only downside is mcat 512 not bad but average Asian accepted applicants with no sweat acceptance I heard is 513. But overall you in a good place and a competitive chance

I am an college athlete as well but I am mostly applying to DO schools since my dad is DO and prob join his practice

gpa 3.72 s gpa 3.65 college mcat 516 non URM. 4 years research, consistent 4 year volunteer with leadership in 3 service orgs and president premed society, tutor , 250 hrs as paid MA in doctor office, Dorm leadership committee. 90 hrs shadow.
Unlike you, I had to walk away from athletics because I was crazy overextended in multiple EC’s which affected my gpa sophomore year.