WAMC 3.59 BCPM 3.68 Total Gpa 512 Mcat 2nd attempt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Proudfather94

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am curious as to what my chances of getting into a medical school are as I have some potential red flags with my application potentially. I obtained my associates degree before transferring to Ohio State to obtain my bachelors in Biology, because I was not competitive enough for university out of high school. I have a mild case of Cerebral Palsy and my handwriting is trash and due to that and an IEP I had for said handwriting, my high school didn't think I was capable of taking the normal classes the average student takes so I ended up taking a lower form of algebra 2, physics, and didn't take any high school chemistry at all. This put me at a significant disadvantage for college and I basically had to take high school math and an elementary chemistry course in college before I could go on to take the classes required for my major such as gen chem, ochem, and calculus. I also obtained a full ride scholarship at the community college, which is why I ended up finishing my degree there because it transferred over with me to my university and paid over half of my yearly tuition there as well, which would have been hard to pay for otherwise.

I have around 50 hours of non clinical volunteering experience and over 2 years working full time as a nurses aide, as well as an estimated 200 hours of volunteer research experience. I have had a job for the most part since I was 18 due to bills and financial responsibilities and have not had a lot of free time through college or after which has made it hard to volunteer. I also have no doctors in my family and am the first in my entire family to have a Stem degree. I also have a child that is 3 months old that I take care of during the week. Here is my school list that have not sent a rejection to me yet.

Ohio State University.
University of Toledo
Wright State
Cincinnati
Wayne State
University of South Carolina Greenville
University of South Florida Morsani
University of Pittsburgh
Rush Medical College
Emory
Louisville

Thank you all for your time and have a great day!

Members don't see this ad.

So you have already applied? Have you gotten any responses? What was your first MCAT? I will say Rush requires hundreds , if not thousands of hours of clinical experiences and nonclinical volunteering. You might be okay with your clinical experiences but you didn’t mention any nonclinical volunteering serving the unserved/underserved in your community. So it will be surprising if you get an II from them. You also have lots of OOS schools on your remaining list. Most of them don’t take many nonresidents with your stats. And AMCAS rec that schools average multiple MCAT scores. Some do, some don’t and we don’t know who does or doesn’t. But they can see all of your scores as they review your application.

So you have already applied? Have you gotten any responses? What was your first MCAT? I will say Rush requires hundreds , if not thousands of hours of clinical experiences and nonclinical volunteering. You might be okay with your clinical experiences but you didn’t mention any nonclinical volunteering serving the unserved/underserved in your community. So it will be surprising if you get an II from them. You also have lots of OOS schools on your remaining list. Most of them don’t take many nonresidents with your stats. And AMCAS rec that schools average multiple MCAT scores. Some do, some don’t and we don’t know who does or doesn’t. But they can see all of your scores as they review your application.
I have applied for this cycle already. My first Mcat score was a 502, I did not study for it correctly the first time and did pretty bad on it. I have about 25 hours of volunteering teaching science concepts to kids in k-8 grades at Columbus City Schools which is considered a pretty under served school district, and about 25 hours tutoring a high school. I'm honestly hoping that medical schools take into consideration the financial commitments I had in undergrad as well as the major time commitment I had to invest to do well in college given the academic disadvantage I was faced with starting out due to a disability. Thanks for the honesty i'm hoping I can get into an in state medical school honestly but i'll go to any of these schools if I can just get accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are not accepted this cycle you should apply more broadly in the next cycle in June and also include DO schools. I suggest these MD schools if you reapply:
Toledo
Wright State
NEOMED
Ohio State
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Miami
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools consider all these:
OU-HCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UNECOM
ACOM

Reactions: 1 user
If you are trying to stay in-state Ohio, all your Ohio schools should be in play including OU-HCOM, especially with their satellite campus in Dublin. Ask questions about support for disabilities especially if you have a documentable one. This is also important when it comes to interviewing at schools, some of which may require an on-site (when we revert back to this) writing samples as well as conversational interviews (so what are their accommodations if you let them know).

If you are not accepted this cycle you should apply more broadly in the next cycle in June and also include DO schools. I suggest these MD schools if you reapply:
Toledo
Wright State
NEOMED
Ohio State
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Miami
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools consider all these:
OU-HCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UNECOM
ACOM

If you are trying to stay in-state Ohio, all your Ohio schools should be in play including OU-HCOM, especially with their satellite campus in Dublin. Ask questions about support for disabilities especially if you have a documentable one. This is also important when it comes to interviewing at schools, some of which may require an on-site (when we revert back to this) writing samples as well as conversational interviews (so what are their accommodations if you let them know).
Thanks I didn't apply to Ou this cycle but if I don't get in I will next cycle. My handwriting is still bad but it's improved significantly over the years to where it's at least legible now. I don't think i'll need accommodations at this point, I didn't have any for undergrad and it's almost impossible to tell I have Cerebral Palsy anymore. It honestly had a bigger effect on my pre college education than anything else past middle school due to the IEP I had from it.

Thanks I didn't apply to Ou this cycle but if I don't get in I will next cycle. My handwriting is still bad but it's improved significantly over the years to where it's at least legible now. I don't think i'll need accommodations at this point, I didn't have any for undergrad and it's almost impossible to tell I have Cerebral Palsy anymore. It honestly had a bigger effect on my pre college education than anything else past middle school due to the IEP I had from it.
That is good to know. Bank those thoughts, especially for possible secondary essays and interview questions regarding your distance-traveled/journey to medicine and challenges you have had to overcome.

So I'm going to have to reapply most likely and was wondering if you guys can give advice on what I should do. I signed up to volunteer at the food pantry I'm starting tomorrow.

Sorry for the bump, I figured it would be better to bump this than to create a new thread. I got 50 hours of virtual shadowing and only 3 more hours of non clinical volunteering. I've been taking care of my child 4 days a week while my fiance works, and I work 12 hour shifts the other 3 days so I don't have alot of time to volunteer. Do you guys think medical schools will consider that with my low volunteering hours? And do you think with the virtual shadowing that I stand a better chance?

Sorry for the bump, I figured it would be better to bump this than to create a new thread. I got 50 hours of virtual shadowing and only 3 more hours of non clinical volunteering. I've been taking care of my child 4 days a week while my fiance works, and I work 12 hour shifts the other 3 days so I don't have alot of time to volunteer. Do you guys think medical schools will consider that with my low volunteering hours? And do you think with the virtual shadowing that I stand a better chance?
At least one Adcom here has posted that they don't take virtual shadowing.

I suggest waiting out COVID and your life situation until you are able to get those hours, as you simply be crowded out by more competitive candidates. Your MCAT score needs to be higher for MD.

Reactions: 1 users

I suggest waiting out COVID and your life situation until you are able to get those hours, as you simply be crowded out by more competitive candidates. Your MCAT score needs to be higher for MD.
How much higher would I need to obtain on another mcat attempt? I have a physician that will allow me to shadow him in the ed at my hospital in the summer and I'm going to pick up on volunteering again starting this week. I think I can hit the hours needed by the end of the summer and should be able to send an update. That should be able to work right?

Looking at your applications as a whole, you have sufficient clinical experience as a nurses aide; if you can get that in person shadowing with a doctor, all the better. Either way, definitely do mention the virtual shadowing.

Your stats are now 3.6/512 with the retake - this means you’re in the running for MD and strong for DO.

Medical schools do take a look at the entire applicants situation - so working full time to support a family is certainly a circumstance that you should mention in a tactful way perhaps in secondaries where appropriate.

Overall with regards to application strategy, you need to apply much more broadly. Faha gave you a great list for MD and DO - I suggest you apply to both this time.

Looking at your applications as a whole, you have sufficient clinical experience as a nurses aide; if you can get that in person shadowing with a doctor, all the better. Either way, definitely do mention the virtual shadowing.

Your stats are now 3.6/512 with the retake - this means you’re in the running for MD and strong for DO.

Medical schools do take a look at the entire applicants situation - so working full time to support a family is certainly a circumstance that you should mention in a tactful way perhaps in secondaries where appropriate.

Overall with regards to application strategy, you need to apply much more broadly. Faha gave you a great list for MD and DO - I suggest you apply to both this time.
Thanks I will definitely use the list Faha sent me for sure. I'm going to try my best to get that shadowing and volunteering since I feel that those are the Achilles heel of my application.

No they won’t consider your excuses for not having the expected requirements. They really don’t have to because they have hundreds of very qualified applicants. As to virtual shadowing that’s not going to be good enough.

Here’s the thing, this will be the third time you have applied . That means you should have built a good application by this time and yet you still don’t seem to have even the basic number of expected hours. Saying you will have 50 hours of in person shadowing and 200+ hours nonclinical volunteering by August isn’t being realistic. You should have had that when you first applied back in 2020. You have applied twice with no luck.

You’ve tried it your way now do it they right way. Slow down. Don’t apply this upcoming cycle. Figure out where you are, what you need to do to get your application ready to submit. Make a plan. Then do it. Do that shadowing this summer. Ask your friend in the ED to suggest a primary care doc and shadow that person too. You said you were starting volunteer at a Food Pantry on 3/16 yet you’ve only worked 3 hours in over a month. I know you are busy and actually what you are busy doing(raising your child) is the most important thing you can be doing. So slow down. As @Goro always says , med schools aren’t going anywhere. So slow down and the next time you apply be ready with a really good application. You don’t want to be a four time applicant.

Would 512 not be an acceptable score for MD (assuming ORM)?

No they won’t consider your excuses for not having the expected requirements. They really don’t have to because they have hundreds of very qualified applicants. As to virtual shadowing that’s not going to be good enough.

Here’s the thing, this will be the third time you have applied . That means you should have built a good application by this time and yet you still don’t seem to have even the basic number of expected hours. Saying you will have 50 hours of in person shadowing and 200+ hours nonclinical volunteering by August isn’t being realistic. You should have had that when you first applied back in 2020. You have applied twice with no luck.

You’ve tried it your way now do it they right way. Slow down. Don’t apply this upcoming cycle. Figure out where you are, what you need to do to get your application ready to submit. Make a plan. Then do it. Do that shadowing this summer. Ask your friend in the ED to suggest a primary care doc and shadow that person too. You said you were starting volunteer at a Food Pantry on 3/16 yet you’ve only worked 3 hours in over a month. I know you are busy and actually what you are busy doing(raising your child) is the most important thing you can be doing. So slow down. As @Goro always says , med schools aren’t going anywhere. So slow down and the next time you apply be ready with a really good application. You don’t want to be a four time applicant.
Thanks for the advice, I've only applied to medical school once though. I think I can get the shadowing and volunteering done in the summer, I have 50 hours of volunteer time from college so I need 150 more right?. The people that are able to babysit my child were on vacation for a few weeks but are back and want to watch him so I have more time to volunteer.

To be honest the biggest thing pushing me to apply this year is that I got the fee assistance program and if I don't get it again next year I won't be able to reapply because we've been hit with alot of bills and I won't be able to pay for the process out of pocket

Thanks for the advice, I've only applied to medical school once though. I think I can get the shadowing and volunteering done in the summer, I have 50 hours of volunteer time from college so I need 150 more right?. The people that are able to babysit my child were on vacation for a few weeks but are back and want to watch him so I have more time to volunteer.

To be honest the biggest thing pushing me to apply this year is that I got the fee assistance program and if I don't get it again next year I won't be able to reapply because we've been hit with alot of bills and I won't be able to pay for the process out of pocket

I think you shouldn't focus too much on the number of hours per se for volunteering and shadowing. Try to get as many in before app submission - but definitely submit early (June) and apply BROADLY (including MD and DO) and I think you'll get interviews.

I think you shouldn't focus too much on the number of hours per se for volunteering and shadowing. Try to get as many in before app submission - but definitely submit early (June) and apply BROADLY (including MD and DO) and I think you'll get interviews.
Thanks I'm going to see if my family doctor will let me shadow sooner than the summer so that I can have some hours at the time of application. I'm going to apply to 20 MD schools from Fahas list and as many Dos as I can afford