WAMC: 3.5cGPA, 3.3sGPA, 516 MCAT. AK resident hoping for school list help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AKpremed3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.5 (from low tier school)
sGPA: 3.3
Postbac: 4.0
MCAT: 516 (130/128/129/129)
State: AK
ORM: White
Clinical experience: Phlebotomist at clinic serving AK native population (6000 hours)
Research: 2 years, 4000 hours, 2 poster presentations in molecular biology
Shadowing: 50 Hours (30 DO, 20 MD family medicine)
Volunteering: 108 hours at food bank, 300 hours at local assisted living facility
Awards: Multiple scholarships and travel awards to present research if that counts
Leadership: Premed club officer in college.

Terrible early college record legal trouble with MIC from 2013 plus a DUI form 2014 but strong upward trend since then and no legal tro. DUI has since been "set aside".

Looking for some advice on how to talk about stupid mistakes early on and what schools to apply to.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your cGPA and sGPA including your postbac ?
The 3.3 sGPA and 3.5 cGPA mentioned are including postbac. Without the postbac it's a 3.18 sGPA and a 3.38 cGPA from the original undergrad degree with a strong upward trend, final 91 credits of the first degree were a 3.95. The postbac was a mix of upper division science classes to bring up the sGPA a little and the rest of the classes were finishing up a second degree in psychology (first degree was Bio).

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Washington
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
NOVA MD
AZ
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Also apply to DO schools and consider these:
PNWU
AZCOM
DMU-COM
CCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
MU-COM
UNECOM
PCOM
LECOM
VCOM (all schools)
CUSOM

Perfect, I'll look into those. Thank you for the help!

UW is your WAMMI school as you are counted in-state for Alaska, and given the number of applicants from Alaska, it is probably your best opportunity. I'm not sure what other WAMMI schools also qualify. Of course, DO schools should be on your radar.

cGPA: 3.5 (from low tier school)
sGPA: 3.3
Postbac: 4.0
MCAT: 516 (130/128/129/129)
State: AK
ORM: White
Clinical experience: Phlebotomist at clinic serving AK native population (6000 hours)
Research: 2 years, 4000 hours, 2 poster presentations in molecular biology
Shadowing: 50 Hours (30 DO, 20 MD family medicine)
Volunteering: 108 hours at food bank, 300 hours at local assisted living facility
Awards: Multiple scholarships and travel awards to present research if that counts
Leadership: Premed club officer in college.

Terrible early college record legal trouble with MIC from 2013 plus a DUI form 2014 but strong upward trend since then and no legal tro. DUI has since been "set aside".

Looking for some advice on how to talk about stupid mistakes early on and what schools to apply to.

Thanks guys!

The 3.3 sGPA and 3.5 cGPA mentioned are including postbac. Without the postbac it's a 3.18 sGPA and a 3.38 cGPA from the original undergrad degree with a strong upward trend, final 91 credits of the first degree were a 3.95. The postbac was a mix of upper division science classes to bring up the sGPA a little and the rest of the classes were finishing up a second degree in psychology (first degree was Bio).

Faha does a great job with school lists, so I will just comment on other things.

First, do you have a GPA breakdown by year? Assuming 91 credits out of 120 was at 3.95, it sounds like freshman year may just have been rough. The MIC is not a big deal, but another alcohol-related issue the following year is not good. You need to own past transgressions and report them, as even if it is set aside, it can come back on a background check. 6+ years since an issue is good news though. I had a DUI from 9 years prior, owned the transgression, and it did not seem to affect me too much (multiple acceptances. sidenote: I am a veteran, which likely helped boost my position). It was talked about in maybe half my interviews, each for around 30 seconds.

Reactions: 1 user
UW is your WAMMI school as you are counted in-state for Alaska, and given the number of applicants from Alaska, it is probably your best opportunity. I'm not sure what other WAMMI schools also qualify. Of course, DO schools should be on your radar.
The WWAMI program allots 20 seats for Alaskans at UW which is definitely my number 1 option but I don't believe there are any other schools with seats reserved for AK.

I absolutely have DO schools on my radar and will be applying broadly considering my stats and mistakes but I'm still interested which schools are most suited to me MD or DO.

Faha does a great job with school lists, so I will just comment on other things.

First, do you have a GPA breakdown by year? Assuming 91 credits out of 120 was at 3.95, it sounds like freshman year may just have been rough. The MIC is not a big deal, but another alcohol-related issue the following year is not good. You need to own past transgressions and report them, as even if it is set aside, it can come back on a background check. 6+ years since an issue is good news though. I had a DUI from 9 years prior, owned the transgression, and it did not seem to affect me too much (multiple acceptances. sidenote: I am a veteran, which likely helped boost my position). It was talked about in maybe half my interviews, each for around 30 seconds.
I did terribly for a few semesters and switched schools. Ended up taking 6 years to graduate with the first degree with a credit count of 185 so the final 91 credits being great was weighed down by tons of bad grades. I'm a first gen which might help some but certainly won't explain away not caring about school and making poor life choices for as long as I did.

I'll definitely own up to all my mistakes and hope schools can look at the recent trends. Since then I've gotten nothing worse than an A- for 130 credits and have stayed out of trouble but I'm going to need to find a forgiving school.