WAMC 3.6 518

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Area_Postrema_95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. Hi everyone, I already submitted my primary, so hopefully this is allowed. I am a reapplicant so I guess I am just nervous about this year. I made my application better with more ECs and I was better at showing my motivation in writing (last time it was really bare bones passion). I started at about 20 schools, but it snowballed as I pre-wrote secondaries and got more paychecks.
  2. 3.61 cGPA and 3.58 sGPA
  3. 518 MCAT
  4. Maryland resident (hopefully not the only MD in my life)
  5. ORM
  6. Clinical experience: ~150 Hours in hospital volunteering plus a relatively new full time job in clinical education (simulation and the like. Hopefully it counts)
  7. ~300 hours research in two labs in undergrad. Includes wet lab experience, but more bioinformatics. No pubs.
  8. ~40 hours shadowing
  9. non-clinical volunteering: five years of community mentoring program (like boy scouts but not quite) AND about 100 hours in clerical work for Emergency Management office in a hospital.
  10. Other: five years in fast food including several years as a director PLUS three seasons as track coach for a local high school
  11. Relevant honors or awards: the usual grade based awards/scholarships
  12. School list
Hopkins (yes I know, the chance is about 0% but I live 20 minutes away so why not?)
Maryland
USF (interviewed and waitlisted last year)
Albany
UCLA, UCI, UCSD , USC and UCSF (Mediocre choices stat-wise and California-wise, but I wanted to shoot my shot because I like them and I have a decent friend-group over there)
Rosalind Franklin
Colorado
Virginia Tech
Emory
EVMS
Temple
Rochester
Hofstra
Western Michigin
Wayne State
George Washington
Dartmouth
Wake Forest
Drexel
University of Wisconsin
University of Iowa

Sorry this post is longer than I expected and Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It is unrealistic to send in secondaries to Hopkins and the CA schools. I suggest adding these schools to your list:
Tufts
Vermont
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Einstein
Jefferson
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
West Virginia
Medical College Wisconsin

Thanks for the help! I knew those schools were all "basically zero chance" schools but I figure most CA schools have a heavy screen before their secondaries so I'll put the ball in their court. I avoided schools I applied to last time. That way if things go bad and I have to apply again I have a lot of schools that I only applied to once before. Is that a bad idea? That knocks out most of your suggestions.

It is unrealistic to send in secondaries to Hopkins and the CA schools. I suggest adding these schools to your list:
Tufts
Vermont
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Einstein
Jefferson
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
West Virginia
Medical College Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad :)
...how are you a reapp? Werw your essays subpar? What trend is your GPA?

...how are you a reapp? Werw your essays subpar? What trend is your GPA?
I was so nervous when I saw I had a reply! Hah so the volunteering and emergency management started last June sooo it was not super helpful for my application. My GPA trend was upward. My school list was awful because I banked too much on my MCAT I think. Honestly I should not have applied last year.

I think I had trouble selling myself in both my primary and secondaries. I was taught brevity, so I gave bare answers. This year, I really made it a point to tell the readers why I can be a good doctor, why the experiences were important (even on the primary), and why I can be a good addition to their school. I spend more time editing than writing. Although there is a point when you have to just submit. It is still early, but this cycle feels better. Sorry for the novel, I'm writing this in case some applicant in a few years needs this information.

edited for clarification.