WAMC: 3.6 GPA, 509 MCAT ORM CA w/ Alcohol IA 6+ years ago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrPants03

Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So why aren't you looking at research programs? Biomedical PhD programs?

I don't see enough service orientation. Tutoring and mentoring like yours are extremely common among prehealth applicants, but it doesn't show that you know how to comfort those who are suffering for non-medical reasons.

Your IA isn't a problem now to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the CA schools are unrealistic unfortunately given your stats. You also have included many schools that do not take OOS students without ties to the area. You will definitely need to gain community service to those less fortunate (ie homeless shelter, food bank, soup kitchen etc). The tutoring letter from the mom will have little value and generally, you do not want to send extra letters to med schools.

Your DO list is fine. Take off Rocky Vista given its for-profit status. You have a good chance at the nearby Touros and Western.

For MD, I suggest:

Drexel
Quinnipiac
UC Davis
UCR
CUSM
UofA Tuscon
Albany
NYMC
Belmont (when it opens)
Vermont
Rosalind Franklin
Nova MD
MCW
Penn State

So why aren't you looking at research programs? Biomedical PhD programs?

I don't see enough service orientation. Tutoring and mentoring like yours are extremely common among prehealth applicants, but it doesn't show that you know how to comfort those who are suffering for non-medical reasons.

Your IA isn't a problem now to me.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Most of the CA schools are unrealistic unfortunately given your stats. You also have included many schools that do not take OOS students without ties to the area. You will definitely need to gain community service to those less fortunate (ie homeless shelter, food bank, soup kitchen etc). The tutoring letter from the mom will have little value and generally, you do not want to send extra letters to med schools.

Your DO list is fine. Take off Rocky Vista given its for-profit status. You have a good chance at the nearby Touros and Western.

For MD, I suggest:

Drexel
Quinnipiac
UC Davis
UCR
CUSM
UofA Tuscon
Albany
NYMC
Belmont (when it opens)
Vermont
Rosalind Franklin
Nova MD
MCW
Penn State
Thanks for the input! I know my stats are lower for the CA schools, but I still want to maximize my chance at getting into a school in CA. I won't be applying to Stanford, still debating whether I want to YOLO Kaiser for free tuition or not. I also have strong professional connections to UCSF so won't take them off.

Can you point out which schools only take students with ties to the state? I thought I looked through all of them and made sure I wasn't applying to any :/ but maybe I missed a few.

Thanks for the input! I know my stats are lower for the CA schools, but I still want to maximize my chance at getting into a school in CA. I won't be applying to Stanford, still debating whether I want to YOLO Kaiser for free tuition or not. I also have strong professional connections to UCSF so won't take them off.

Can you point out which schools only take students with ties to the state? I thought I looked through all of them and made sure I wasn't applying to any :/ but maybe I missed a few.
Wright State
West Virginia
Wisconsin Madison (reserves them for high stat applicants)
UNLV
Toledo

Most of the above have special arrangements that account for many of their OOS students (Forever Buckeye program in OH, UNLV takes from very specific bordering counties/cities that are in CA, WV's OOS is likely KY and VA residents on bordering counties. Other OOS students likely attended the corresponding undergrad or another college in that state.

UIC is extremely expensive for OOS students. Rush expects several hundred hours of volunteer work.

Leverage your connection to UCSF the best you can and emphasize your work at a safety net hospital since that was not clear in your first post.

Ok, yeah the more I thought about it the more I was hoping those schools were the ones you were referring to. As far as UNLV goes I didn’t mention my mom moved to a city in AZ less than 2 hours from LV and that’s the closest major airport to her so I think I’ll keep that one. The others I was never strongly interested in anyway so I don’t mind dropping.

I will definitely emphasize the patient population I work with to help that experience stand out more like you said. Given that, do you still feel strongly about the revised MD list you gave?

Again, thanks so much for the great advice!
Yes, those would be the most appropriate given your lower stats. You can still include George Washington and Temple.