DO WAMC: 3.61 cGPA, 507 MCAT applying DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbrunger

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I realize this is technically under the pre-MD board, but it appears that the pre-DO one redirects here for WAMC. Anyways, I'm a Canadian RN, 25yo white male who's been working in Public Health/preventative health for ~2 years (4000h+ healthcare employment hours). Currently, I'm taking some courses through Athabasca (online distance uni) to obtain some pre-req's for various schools (I've checked with them already) and hoping to apply in 2-3 cycles since I work full time. As it stands, I need CHEM I & II, ORGO I & II, Biochem, Phys I & II, and one English course (I know, right?) My list of 'Canadian friendly' schools that I plan on applying to is as follows:

-MSUCOM
-LUCOM
-LMUCOM
-KCUCOM
-Midwestern (Chicago)
-AZCOM
-Rowan COM
-UNECOM

-cGPA: 3.61, sGPA: 4.0 (only Bio so far, I expect this to decrease a bit with the heavy science courses, but hope it brings up the cGPA a bit).
-MCAT: 507 (124/125/129/129) taken in August/19
-Canadian, Ontario
-White, male
-Undergrad: University of New Brunswick
-1450h of clinical experience in undergrad (hospitals, community), 4000h+ employment in public health and sexual health
-2 ongoing research projects at my work, no publications planned as they are for internal use and policy development
-Shadowing: none as of yet, but plan to do some in family medicine at a clinic I work at part time and with a paediatrician
-Volunteer: nursing TA at a local college (since March/19), goalie coach (Oct/ 18), exhibit rep. volunteer at family medicine conference and sexual health conference. I also have a connection at a immigrant/refugee clinic.
-Extracurriculars: ice hockey since 2007, peer mentor and tutor from 2016-2018
-Awards: some sports awards, high school honour roll and a few deans list semesters in Uni.

Looking for any constructive feedback or advice, thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Your app seems great. Finish up your pre-reqs, get a few hours of shadowing experience, get a physician letter, and apply!

Hey all, I realize this is technically under the pre-MD board, but it appears that the pre-DO one redirects here for WAMC. Anyways, I'm a Canadian RN, 25yo white male who's been working in Public Health/preventative health for ~2 years (4000h+ healthcare employment hours). Currently, I'm taking some courses through Athabasca (online distance uni) to obtain some pre-req's for various schools (I've checked with them already) and hoping to apply in 2-3 cycles since I work full time. As it stands, I need CHEM I & II, ORGO I & II, Biochem, Phys I & II, and one English course (I know, right?) My list of 'Canadian friendly' schools that I plan on applying to is as follows:

-MSUCOM
-LUCOM
-LMUCOM
-KCUCOM
-Midwestern (Chicago)
-AZCOM
-Rowan COM
-UNECOM

Looking for any constructive feedback or advice, thanks for reading!
You're fine for any of the 14ish DO schools that take Canadians. UNECOM and MSUCOM should be at top of list. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.

You're fine for any of the 14ish DO schools that take Canadians. UNECOM and MSUCOM should be at top of list. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.
Thanks for your response! I was not aware that LMUCOM had a warning or that LUCOM & Nova weren't advisable. Touro-NY and William Carey do not accept online coursework, so that is why I didn't include them. Its not feasible for me to take time away from work to do classroom work. TCOM never responded to me.

My biggest barrier at this point is the cost of attendance. With the CAD being what it is, I'm trying to research how to piece the financing all together. I'm meeting with a bank next week to see if its even worth taking courses, if I can't manage to afford to go then there's no point.