GBT

Oct 15, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE

Hey all, just wanted to get some opinions on where I should be focusing my app. Graduating 2022 b/c taking 2 semesters off in between school.

1. cGPA: 3.6 / sGPA: 3.6
  2. MCAT: 517 (128/129/130/130)
  3. State of Residence: NY
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Caucasian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: T5 Research/US News University
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    • Volunteer: Inpatient rounding for a summer, then shifted to ED volunteer work before COVID shut it down ~120hrs
  7. Research experience and productivity: 1000+ hours in neuro lab. Will have something fully published before application next June, but for now just have a poster presentation. Joining molecular bio lab in summer/fall 2021 as well.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
    • Shadowed radiologist ~15 hours in private practice
    • Had shadowing with surgery doc planned, rescheduled to when COVID is less of an issue.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering:
    • Lots of service through my team - fostering teamwork through volunteering. ~100hrs
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Jobs:
      • COVID contact tracer - full time job reaching out to those affected by COVID - figured that I didn't want to just sit around through pandemic and wanted to do something meaningful.
      • Tutored chemistry for incoming freshman that didn't have great backgrounds in chem for high school in summer. Also tutored them throughout school year.
    • Athletics: 2018 national champion in my D1 athletics team. Likely will have national team experience/ go for Worlds through next summer. International racing at high level. Major part of my app.
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
    • All of my volunteering and clinical work has been centered around low income community where I've lived. Emphasis on helping my community through meaningful clinical work and volunteering.
Weaknesses in my app - lack of clinical work, mediocre GPA.
Want to apply to a wide range of MD schools.

School list:

Sinai
Harvard
Northwestern
Michigan
Columbia
Cornell
Mayo
(may apply NYU/Duke but likely a waste of an app)
Emory
Dartmouth
Brown
Tufts
BU
UT Austin
Stony Brook
Syracuse
Georgetown
UVA
Pitt
Rochester
Hofstra
Albert Einstein
Case Western
New York Medical
Temple
UVM
Buffalo
UNC

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Your clinical exposure and non clinical volunteering as well as your GPA are on the low side for many of the schools on your list.You also have state public schools that accept few non residents with no connection to the state such as UT Austin and UNC. I suggest these schools:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Miami
USF Morsani
TCU-UNT
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads