MD WAMC 3.7, 515, Texas. Help a neurotic pre-med out please! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sugar12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your app is good as it is. Two things you could look at is trying to get hands-on patient experience and getting something published in the lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
how would I go about getting hand-on patient experience within less than a year?

how would I go about getting hand-on patient experience within less than a year?
You could always do something such as volunteer at a local hospital. It isn't exactly hands on, but there is usually a Patient Ambassador position in which you interact with patients during your volunteering. Just a thought!

EMT, Blood Clinic, or even scribe can be better than just volunteering at the hospital as a desk person.

During my time at the hospital I interact with patients, keep them company and bring them whatever they need (water, magazines, etc). Is this not good enough for clinical experience?

During my time at the hospital I interact with patients, keep them company and bring them whatever they need (water, magazines, etc). Is this not good enough for clinical experience?

As long as you are directly interacting with the patient, a person requiring or seeking medical care, and able to "smell" them, then I would consider it clinical experience. This means that being a patient transporter, a clinical receptionist, or a hospice/nursing home volunteer all count in addition to the volunteer role you described.

You can definitely go more hands-on by becoming a CNA/EMT/Scribe/Phlebotomist, but recognize that there are many applicants who successfully matriculate into medical school without paid clinical experience.

@premeddestiny At the other hospital I volunteer at, I spend a lot of time making phone calls to confirm patient appointments...would this be considered clinical experience as well?