WAMC: 3.72 cGPA / 3.45 sGPA / 520 MCAT CA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denver075

Reaction score
*PLEASE DON'T QUOTE*

Hi everyone! Applying this spring and looking for some feedback on my school list. Wavered back and forth on going to medical school during undergrad so there were long stretches where I wasn't focused on that and I think those make up the main weak points of my application (mainly that there are a few schools which require 2 science professor LORs and I only have 1, but I will have strong ones from physicians/PIs). Hours are reported as the total of completed and projected
  1. GPA: 3.72 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA
  2. MCAT: 520 (130/131/128/131)
  3. State: CA
  4. Race: White/Middle Eastern
  5. Undergrad institution: T20 public undergrad
  6. Clinical experience: 1200 hours paid clinical experience
    • Clinical research coordinator in ophthalmology practice: independently working up patients, imaging, vision screenings, etc.
  7. Research experience and productivity:~7500 hours (majority paid, some volunteer)
    1. Majority in my current role with 2 first author pubs, 4 abstracts with 1 as first author
    2. 480 hours of pretty unique research in the social justice realm (had a leadership position in this lab)
  8. Shadowing: This is a weak point for me I think; my only shadowing is informally with the doctors at the ophthalmology practice I currently work at, would love to shadow primary care but working full time makes this logistically challenging
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 500 hours Crisis Text Line
  10. Other extracurricular activities:
    1. Paid employment:
      • 1250 hours as a swim instructor for children and adults
      • 1000 hours as a waitress/bartender
    2. Leadership:
      • 2 years leadership in my sorority (2 positions)
      • Alumni mentor to undergrads at my alma mater
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Phi Beta Kappa, departmental honors at my undergrad
Tentative school list: need some help narrowing this a little, since I'm paying for my own applications and don't qualify for fee assistance I want to limit the amount of wasted applications. I recognize that with lowish GPA/high MCAT I'll probably need to apply a little broadly

UCLA
Dartmouth
UCSD
Boston U
Case Western
Ohio State
UCSF
Tulane
Drexel
GW
Wake Forest
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Emory
Tufts
UC Davis
Thomas Jefferson
UC Irvine
USC Keck
Albert Einstein
Wayne State
Geisinger Commonwealth
New York Medical College
University of Cincinnati
SUNY Downstate
Western Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

So the only clinical experience of record was is ophthalmology. What other specialties did you gain exposure?

Your non-clinical experience with the crisis text line is helpful but something less clinically adjacent would strengthen your application. Think food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, or housing rehabilitation. Text line doesn't give you real face to face experience that many faculty prefer.

You need 50 hours of in person physician shadowing before you apply. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis
USC Keck
California University
Kaiser
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State