WAMC 3.73 GPA 509 MCAT and help with list of DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gearheadgtr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like MD schools didn't like me this cycle. I plan on applying to DO schools only next year. Can I get help with a list of schools? Here are my stats.

Undergraduate
Top Public University in the United States
California Resident
Over-Represented Minority
Male
Community College GPA 3.66
University GPA 3.8
Combined GPA 3.73
Biology B.S.
Strong Upward GPA trend of 1 year of 4.0 with some A+'s
MCAT 509 (128/127/127/127)

Academic Honors
Community College:
Graduated With Honors
University: Cum Laude & Departmental Honors, top 20% of my class by GPA

Extracurriculars

Shadowing
: ~30 hours
I shadowed a geriatrician for about a day and got a letter of rec, but I volunteered in the geriatrics department for 6 weeks. This involved shadowing nurses and administrators and actually performing minor medical procedures like flu shots and ear irrigations.

Research
: ~30 hours (3 Months)
I was in a lab that primarily taught biomedical diagnostic tests and immunology. PI is a MD and the purpose of the lab is to get me into med school according to the PI. I got a letter of rec. No publications or poster. Lab is somewhat famous though.

Clinical Volunteering: ~ 450 hours (1 Year)
I was a student "ambassador" to a major university teaching hospital. I took patients to their rooms and transported wheelchair bound patients.

Non-Clinical Volunteering: ~ 60 hours (6 Months)
Tutoring Asian American elementary school kids in a campus organization. Counts as assisting a underprivileged group since many kids do not speak fluent English.

Leadership: ~ 10 hours
I lead a group of freshmen students for volunteer day for our University and we built benches for a local middle school.

I'll will get some additional non-clinical volunteering before the next cycle starts. Hoping next cycle DO schools show me some love :).

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, what was your MD list this cycle? I don’t think you need to apply DO only. Also, maybe your letters of rec or personal statement weren’t great.

Reactions: 1 user
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
Loma Linda
California University
California Northstate
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
George Washington
West Virginia
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
St.Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Rosy Frank

TCU and UNTHSC <- II then rejected

Members don't see this ad :)
CCOM
AZCOM
NYIT-OW
TOURO CA
TOURO NV
WESTERN P
WESTERN NW
PCOM
KCU
DMU

Your stats should be fine for most DO schools

If staying in California is important, I think I saw a new DO school opening called California Health Science University.

CCOM
AZCOM
NYIT-OW
TOURO CA
TOURO NV
WESTERN P
WESTERN NW
PCOM
KCU
DMU

Your stats should be fine for most DO schools

If staying in California is important, I think I saw a new DO school opening called California Health Science University.

I don't think I'm going to apply to the new Cali DO school. I didn't take human biology, which is a prereq.

I don't think I'm going to apply to the new Cali DO school. I didn't take human biology, which is a prereq.
I applied with very similar stats as you as a California resident this cycle and got love from multiple DO schools. You got this!

I applied with very similar stats as you as a California resident this cycle and got love from multiple DO schools. You got this!

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm really bummed after getting rejected post interview at my only MD school. Looking forward to applying to DO schools with my head held high.

You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews.

I would do some research and pick some schools you like. Your stats are competitive for almost every DO school (with the exceptions primarily being due to residency).

Think very carefully about Northstate, the sketchiest medical school in the country. I and many here, including respected adcoms, would suggest not having it on your list. If you've been invited for an interview, withdrawing might be a good idea.

Think very carefully about Northstate, the sketchiest medical school in the country. I and many here, including respected adcoms, would suggest not having it on your list. If you've been invited for an interview, withdrawing might be a good idea.

I second this. I wouldn’t choose them even if I was desperate.

Agreed: adcoms are advising the unprecedented step of turning down an acceptance at Northstate - usually the second-worst mistake a premed can make, the first being a felony conviction.