MD & DO WAMC - 3.78/509 School list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whaledoctor18

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I submitted my AMCAS app, and I'm currently finalizing the school list and modifying my app materials for AACOMAS. Before I go ahead and add all the schools, I thought I would ask for feedback. Here are my stats:

CA Resident, white, currently at the end of my first gap year
GPA/sGPA: 3.78/3.75
MCAT: 509 (129, 124, 128, 128; more recent) and 506 (125, 124, 129, 128) - Definitely my weakest part of the app
EC:
  • Clinical community service - 1000 hours over 5 years
  • Research - 2000 hours in 3 years
  • Non-clinical community service - 150 hours
  • Non-clinical employment - 1600 hours
  • Posters and two publications (one of them just got accepted into Nature with me as a middle author, but submitted the app before Nature accepted it :/ )
  • Good hobbies, a few awards, and two leadership activities
  • Shadowing - 80 hours including a DO
MD Schools (27):
Creighton
Albany
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Roseland Franklin
Medical College of Wisconsin
NYMC
Pennsylvania State
Netter/Quinnipiac
Temple
Loyola
Oakland-B
UC Davis, Irvine, and LA
VCU
Tulane
University of Vermont
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Wake Forest
Seton Hall
CalMed
Nova MD
Rush (not enough non-clinical community service hours?)
Dartmouth
Tufts

DO Schools (7):
Touro - CA
Western
Chicago COM
KCOM
DMU COM
TCOM
PCOM

I've been filtering out schools based on my MCAT and CARS scores while looking through MSAR. Please let me know if any of the schools should be added/taken out! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a pretty good list!

Good use of the MSAR! Many that makes these post don't make use the MSAR properly - its refreshing when you see someone has actually put in the work.

I think it would still be good to hear from some of the adcoms on here as well. @Goro and @Faha could give you additional advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

I submitted my AMCAS app, and I'm currently finalizing the school list and modifying my app materials for AACOMAS. Before I go ahead and add all the schools, I thought I would ask for feedback. Here are my stats:

CA Resident, white, currently at the end of my first gap year
GPA/sGPA: 3.78/3.75
MCAT: 509 (129, 124, 128, 128; more recent) and 506 (125, 124, 129, 128) - Definitely my weakest part of the app
EC:
  • Clinical community service - 1000 hours over 5 years
  • Research - 2000 hours in 3 years
  • Non-clinical community service - 150 hours
  • Non-clinical employment - 1600 hours
  • Posters and two publications (one of them just got accepted into Nature with me as a middle author, but submitted the app before Nature accepted it :/ )
  • Good hobbies, a few awards, and two leadership activities
  • Shadowing - 80 hours including a DO
MD Schools (27):
Creighton
Albany
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Roseland Franklin
Medical College of Wisconsin
NYMC
Pennsylvania State
Netter/Quinnipiac
Temple
Loyola
Oakland-B
UC Davis, Irvine, and LA
VCU
Tulane
University of Vermont
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Wake Forest
Seton Hall
CalMed
Nova MD
Rush (not enough non-clinical community service hours?)
Dartmouth
Tufts

DO Schools (7):
Touro - CA
Western
Chicago COM
KCOM
DMU COM
TCOM
PCOM

I've been filtering out schools based on my MCAT and CARS scores while looking through MSAR. Please let me know if any of the schools should be added/taken out! Thank you!
Scratch UCKA, add Wayne State and SLU

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Scratch UCKA, add Wayne State and SLU
I excluded SLU because their accepted OOS applicants' MCAT CARS 10th percentile was 126 compared to my 124 and 50th percentile was 514 compared to my 509. Would it still be worth applying?

Also, Wayne State seems to have stronger preference towards IS. Is it worth applying as a OOS with no tie to Missouri?

I excluded SLU because their accepted OOS applicants' MCAT CARS 10th percentile was 126 compared to my 124 and 50th percentile was 514 compared to my 509. Would it still be worth applying?

Also, Wayne State seems to have stronger preference towards IS. Is it worth applying as a OOS with no tie to Missouri?
Yes and yes. CARS is the category that gets cut the most slack.