WAMC 3.8 GPA, 504 MCAT, should I retake the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lnguyen1

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to SDN and looking for advice. I currently have a 3.8 GPA, a slightly lower sGPA. I recently took the MCAT and scored 504. A little background information:
- I'm a first generation college student from a family that immigrated (I'm also an immigrant not just my parents) from Southeast Asia
- I'm currently a female junior with 3 majors (biochem, psych, neuroscience) at the University of Tennessee ( I take about 19-21 hours per semester)
- 700+ clinical hours as CNA
- 200+ medical-related volunteering (RAM, Hospital, Hospice)
- 100+ non-medical related volunteering ( Museums, Random Acts of Flower, Habitat for Humanity, KARM)
- research experiment in computational biology at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (1 year) and current research in dysferlin at UTK
- extracurricular: vice president of AMSA and SSDP, volunteer coordinator of volhacks

I'm going through some emotional trauma right now, so I don't know if I would be able to dedicate the effort needed for the MCAT. I'm looking to apply at UT Health Science Center, ETSU College of Medicine, Wayne State College of Medicine, and New York Medical College. What are my chances of getting in without retaking? Thank you for taking your time out to read this, and thank you for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
tennessee!
In addition to the schools you listed I suggest applying to these schools:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Seton Hall
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)

Thank you! Do you think that it's a good idea for me to retake the MCAT? I took it early on purpose so that I could retake it if needed. I just didn't foresee going through major emotional changes at the moment. In your expertise, how does my profile look.

You do not need to retake the MCAT for DO schools. If you decide to retake to increase your chances for MD schools do not retake until your practice scores are consistently 508+.

Thank you so much for your time and advice! I greatly appreciate it.