WAMC: 3.84 cgpa, 3.76 sgpa, 31 MCAT, Texas resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clairephillips

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to a short list (little money for secondaries) of schools:

UT Houston
UT Health Center San Antonio
UTMB
UT Southwestern
A&M.

I am finishing my secondaries this week for UT Southwestern and A&M. I have 10 dropped classes (Yuck!), I'm a 31 year old nontrad, I've been a science teacher for 3 years, have two degrees from UT (Microbiology and Human Development), 100+ hours of hospital/hospice volunteering, 60 hours of shadowing from 2001, I'm just all over the place. My MCAT scores came in Tuesday and my application has been verified. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you'll be fine at any TX school. Suggest applying to ALL of them. Throw in next door Tulane, while you're at it.

I'm applying to a short list (little money for secondaries) of schools:

UT Houston
UT Health Center San Antonio
UTMB
UT Southwestern
A&M.

I am finishing my secondaries this week for UT Southwestern and A&M. I have 10 dropped classes (Yuck!), I'm a 31 year old nontrad, I've been a science teacher for 3 years, have two degrees from UT (Microbiology and Human Development), 100+ hours of hospital/hospice volunteering, 60 hours of shadowing from 2001, I'm just all over the place. My MCAT scores came in Tuesday and my application has been verified. Thoughts?

I would say that you're fine, but I would add the rest of the Texas schools. Texas tech at lubbock gave me a fee waiver if you are short on cash. Although, it took them about two weeks to apply it. A&M also has a fee waiver, but they haven't responded back to me for two weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be fine at any TX school. Suggest applying to ALL of them. Throw in next door Tulane, while you're at it.
Is it too late to fill out the AAMC primary, then? I only completed the TMDSAS app.

I applied in mid to late September to Tech, Foster and applied today to TCOM, although I know it's late. Honestly, Goro, I read your primer on applying to DO schools and was really inspired to check TCOM out more. I absolutely LOVED the things I've learned, though I know it's late and I have little DO experience (a cousin who benefitted from OMM). I have received 1 interview, to UTHSCSA, and have heard nothing from anyone else. I'm getting increasingly worried about not receiving interviews even though I applied late, and am also getting increasingly interested in Osteopathic Medicine in my research. Would it be too late to apply to a few AACOMAS schools or should I sit tight for this year? I am absolutely certain I'll be applying to DO schools next year if I don't get in this year - I had no idea just how amazing they really were and am certainly kicking myself for not becoming more educated on the subject sooner.

I want to thank both of you for encouraging me when I was uncertain about my chances, or if I even had one. I am elated to report my fourth II, receiving them from UTHSCSA, UTSW, PLFSOM, and TAMHSC. I can't go wrong with any of these fabulous schools!

Wow, I forgot about this! I got two acceptances and two waitlists, even with my warty spots!

Thanks for the update, Claire. You have been an inspiration for a good number of us.