WAMC 3.85 cGPA 515 MCAT weak ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byaGsd124

Reaction score
Hi, I actually just took the MCAT today and don't have an MCAT score, but I estimate anywhere from 510-520. Putting 515 to be conservative, based off my practice FLs. I know my ECs, especially clinical are weak, but I graduated early a year early and already have a gap year, and would prefer not to take two. That being said, I also don't want to waste money applying if there's not really a hope without getting more clinical experience

1. cGPA/sGPA both ~3.85 cGPA (graduating early meant I finished most of gen-eds and don't have many non BCPM classes)

2. MCAT - Estimating 515

3. ORM

4. Clinical: 50 completed hours doing triage at a volunteer clinic, started at the beginning of this year (Jan '19) (I would project another 50-75 on my application, not sure how bad this would look?)

5. Research: 150 hours in a psych (dry?) lab - nothing to really note other than I spent time here. Also have 350 hours in a QA lab job, but I don't think that kind of lab experience counts as research (basically was quality control for something being ingest)

6. Shadowing: 20 hours peds, ~15 ortho by the time I apply

7. Non-clinical volunteering: ~120 volunteering with underserved communities (80 indirectly, 40 directly), 30+ hours as a TA

8. Other extracurricular activities: Leadership position in one club for 2 years, another for a year

9. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I worked a number of jobs while in school, upwards of 20-30 hours a week, and as such didn't think I had the time or energy to put into volunteering - something I regret now but can't change. That being said I had a few jobs that involved helping the underserved, and they were definitely meaningful experiences to me, albeit paid. Would this still help my narrative, even if they were paid?
If I had to take the gap year, would it be best to suck it up and land a scribe job? Graduated with a biology degree that isn't super useful to me, and am stuck in the same city I am currently living in for the next year, so can't search for anything too far away and move.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, take another gap year and strengthen your application. If you get that 515 on your MCAT, don’t limit yourself because you didn’t want to take some extra time to strengthen your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, take another gap year and strengthen your application. If you get that 515 on your MCAT, don’t limit yourself because you didn’t want to take some extra time to strengthen your app.
I'm not looking to get into anything crazy, I know once you make it into an interview your stats don't really matter, so I'm just wondering if my low ECs would hold me back 100% or if there's a chance this year to apply.

When are you taking the MCAT ?
I took it yesterday, as the post said. Will be getting results 5/14

Hi, I actually just took the MCAT today and don't have an MCAT score, but I estimate anywhere from 510-520. Putting 515 to be conservative, based off my practice FLs. I know my ECs, especially clinical are weak, but I graduated early a year early and already have a gap year, and would prefer not to take two. That being said, I also don't want to waste money applying if there's not really a hope without getting more clinical experience

1. cGPA/sGPA both ~3.85 cGPA (graduating early meant I finished most of gen-eds and don't have many non BCPM classes)

2. MCAT - Estimating 515

3. ORM

4. Clinical: 50 completed hours doing triage at a volunteer clinic, started at the beginning of this year (Jan '19) (I would project another 50-75 on my application, not sure how bad this would look?)

5. Research: 150 hours in a psych (dry?) lab - nothing to really note other than I spent time here. Also have 350 hours in a QA lab job, but I don't think that kind of lab experience counts as research (basically was quality control for something being ingest)

6. Shadowing: 20 hours peds, ~15 ortho by the time I apply

7. Non-clinical volunteering: ~120 volunteering with underserved communities (80 indirectly, 40 directly), 30+ hours as a TA

8. Other extracurricular activities: Leadership position in one club for 2 years, another for a year

9. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I worked a number of jobs while in school, upwards of 20-30 hours a week, and as such didn't think I had the time or energy to put into volunteering - something I regret now but can't change. That being said I had a few jobs that involved helping the underserved, and they were definitely meaningful experiences to me, albeit paid. Would this still help my narrative, even if they were paid?
If I had to take the gap year, would it be best to suck it up and land a scribe job? Graduated with a biology degree that isn't super useful to me, and am stuck in the same city I am currently living in for the next year, so can't search for anything too far away and move.
If you wish to be conservative, put the score at 510.

You do need to take gap year. Right now, this is not the application of a person who dearly wants to be a physician. It is the application of someone who wants to be a doctor as long as it is convenient.

A scribe job is fine, as employment is always good. This fulfill your clinical experiential needs and shadowing. Continue in service to others less fortunate than yourself.

If you wish to be conservative, put the score at 510.

You do need to take gap year. Right now, this is not the application of a person who dearly wants to be a physician. It is the application of someone who wants to be a doctor as long as it is convenient.

A scribe job is fine, as employment is always good. This fulfill your clinical experiential needs and shadowing. Continue in service to others less fortunate than yourself.
My lowest AAMC FL was a 517, I wrote this up a few hours after coming out of the test and still have mixed feelings about how I did, but I think a 515 is conservative. Nonetheless, I don't want to be cocky

I'm a little confused on what the gap year part, are you suggesting I apply this cycle, or that I should be considering a different field? I do want to be a physician. These are my just my stats, for better or worse.

My volunteering has been spread out over the course of three years, a couple hours regularly for a few months, a break, and then a couple months on again. I didn't think to get any clinical experience my first year, and my second year and third years were spent mostly working. All the volunteer clinical experiences nearby were taken, and I didn't have the luxury of a car to drive further, nor the time to bus and commute when I was working as much as I was. That being said, I understand that adcoms want to see you know what the work is like and what you're getting in to - at the end of the day, these are excuses that won't get me anywhere.

My lowest AAMC FL was a 517, I wrote this up a few hours after coming out of the test and still have mixed feelings about how I did, but I think a 515 is conservative. Nonetheless, I don't want to be cocky

I'm a little confused on what the gap year part, are you suggesting I apply this cycle, or that I should be considering a different field? I do want to be a physician. These are my just my stats, for better or worse.

My volunteering has been spread out over the course of three years, a couple hours regularly for a few months, a break, and then a couple months on again. I didn't think to get any clinical experience my first year, and my second year and third years were spent mostly working. All the volunteer clinical experiences nearby were taken, and I didn't have the luxury of a car to drive further, nor the time to bus and commute when I was working as much as I was. That being said, I understand that adcoms want to see you know what the work is like and what you're getting in to - at the end of the day, these are excuses that won't get me anywhere.
My advice is to apply when you have the best possible app