WAMC: 3.8s GPA, 519 MCAT reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chmicken

Reaction score
I am a reapplicant gearing up for my 2nd gap year after getting 0 IIs from 26 (very late!) MD secondaries last year. I'm confident in my GPA and MCAT, and I feel like my clinical experience should cut it, but I'm very concerned about the rest (research, lack of clinical volunteering at time of application, ORM with no X-factors/adversity to speak of). I've had conversations with a reapplicant advisor at an in-state school who praised my stats and my writing, and emphasized adding hands-on clinical experience. However, they strongly hinted that the app review committee for reapplicants would not consider me if I reapplied to their school this June, and they encouraged me to wait and next apply for the 2024 cycle. I'm not waiting. I'll be submitting primaries Day 1 and secondaries ASAP this time around, but WAMC?
  1. cGPA 3.77, sGPA 3.78
  2. 519 MCAT 01/2020 (130/131/129/129)
  3. NC
  4. As ORM as it gets
  5. UNC - Chapel Hill, Bio major
  6. 1550 completed, 3500+ projected
- 1800 hours as an adult ER and peds ER scribe (1550 by the time of application, 1800 total projected through 08/2022)
- EMT certification 05-08/2022 (240 contact hours, plus additional on-site clinicals)
- Starting 08/2022, will most likely work as an EMT using my certification (less likely as an MA, but only if I can find an office where I can administer hands-on care)
- Will also be reaching out to free clinics starting in June to see if they'd allow an EMT or EMT-in-training to provide hands-on care

7. Basically zero research! 5 weeks/30 hours as an undergrad assistant Spring 2020 pre-COVID, lost spot in the lab that fall and onwards due to distancing restrictions.
8. 30 hours shadowing (outside of scribing obv) in ER and peds ER.
9. 360 hours non-clinical volunteering as an undergrad (100 @ campus COVID testing site, 100 @ food bank, 160 w/ campus service org). None during past gap year.
10. Studied abroad in Europe Fall 2019 (not health-related, but semi-unique I guess, although I doubt it would add much?)
11. Honors program as an undergrad, Dean's List, yada yada nothing special here either.
12. Born in Chicago, love the city, but haven't lived there since infancy. Son of a DO, and another DO has offered to write a AACOMAS LOR.

Initial School List: I took a very in-depth look at OOS II% and acceptance%, using latest MSAR data + some older Reddit data w/ acceptance #s. Maybe I'm way off-base here, please lmk. I considered making a school list post as well but figured I'd stop by here first. If there's enough to discuss I'll gladly post again.

All in-state MD, plus
CreightonUSF MorsaniSaint LouisNorthwesternSUNY UpstateHofstra
UVAStony BrookCincinnatiWestern MichiganFAUDrexel
RochesterIowaThomas Jefferson SKWayne StateEmoryRush
U ChicagoVermontIcahn Mt. SinaiUCFTuftsPitt
VCUMCWHackensack MeridianWisconsinUA PhoenixEastern Virginia

Any to add/subtract? I haven't done this yet, but is it a good idea to screen out all heavily research-focused schools considering my lack of research experience? Finally, I've never been opposed to applying DO, and after last cycle's results I'll be submitting AACOMAS as well (although not at the expense of getting MD apps in on time). Will def apply to Campbell, any recommendations for other programs considering my stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Your overall app with the EMT experience should be just enough. You should get 6 to 7 interviews with that list and if you wrote app and interviewed well, 3 or 4 acceptances. I think you should go ahead and try. Best wishes

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had just started out as a scribe in May. Probably 100 or less hours to go along with my score/GPA.
This is why you didn’t receive interviews. You should have much better chances now. Ensure your personal statement relies on your extensive clinical experience as opposed to your parent being a physician. You should get shadowing in a more longitudinal speciality (eg FM, IM, something in a clinic)

Apply to the following:

All NC schools
Emory
UVA
USF
Miami
Iowa
Vermont
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Jefferson
Sinai
Western Michigan
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Vanderbilt
Dartmouth
Colorado
Georgetown
Tulane

For DO:
PCOM
KCU
DMU
Marian
CCOM (high tuition FYI)
NYITCOM
Campbell

Reactions: 1 users
On behalf of your state school that recs not reapplying in the next cycle, this isn’t unusual at all. @gonnif frequently talks about this and even quotes directly from school websites discouraging reapplying too soon. So it might be a good idea to at least give a cursory search of the schools on your list and see if any of them feel the same way. Good luck

Remove Creighton as your lack of recent non-clinical community service will be an issue. Why not start volunteering right now?

On behalf of your state school that recs not reapplying in the next cycle, this isn’t unusual at all. @gonnif frequently talks about this and even quotes directly from school websites discouraging reapplying too soon. So it might be a good idea to at least give a cursory search of the schools on your list and see if any of them feel the same way. Good luck
Good idea. This school does have a similar disclaimer on their site. Thanks

Remove Creighton as your lack of recent non-clinical community service will be an issue. Why not start volunteering right now?
The sooner the better definitely, just doesn't feel like the best time logistically with May looking like it is. Will get my primary where it needs to be and then start.