WAMC 3.9/514 Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RI-premeder

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Hoping to get feedback on my chances and some thoughts on school list.

Here are the details:
  1. cGPA 3.93 and sGPA 3.88 as Biomedical Engineer (BME). Currently Junior 2nd semester. No Gap year planned.
  2. MCAT 514 (130/126/129/129). Planning to retake in May/Jun and aiming for 518+ (which has been closer to FL's and should have more time to study).
  3. RI resident
  4. White
  5. T10 Private
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 275 hours (2 years) - Senior Center Benefits and Wellness volunteer associated with local university hospital.
    2. 200 hours (expected) - Planning for summer experience at Hospice or Nursing Home this upcoming summer.
  7. Research experience - 1200+ hours (2 years) in BME Tissue Engineering Lab. Working with PI on paper; expect poster presentation end of this semester
  8. Shadowing - 65 hours in-person (2 EM doctors, Internal Medicine doctor, Family Med., etc). Also 25 hours virtual shadowing during Covid lockdown.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 150 hours (2 years) - Academic Resource Center volunteer tutor. Chemistry and Linear Algebra. Asked to serve as lead coordinator for Spring Semester.
    2. 100 hours (1+ years) - Project/club focused on Improving Girls' and Women's Math Identity. Design, teach and lead classes and workshops for local middle school girls from inner city school.
    3. Some other smaller activities
  10. Other extracurricular activities
    1. Other research:
      1. 360 hours - Physics Particle Research (CERN Collider) paid research grant - 1 summer
      2. 115 hours - Biology lab
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Selected as Undergrad Engineering Research Fellow (3 semesters and paid summer)
    2. Selected by University President to serve as Commencement Student Marshal (supposed based on grades and recommendation from my academic dean)
    3. Deans list x2

Schools list - considering some/all of the following.
  • Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
  • New York University Grossman School of Medicine
  • Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
  • Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
  • Yale School of Medicine
  • Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
  • Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
  • Weill Cornell Medicine
  • Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
  • Duke University School of Medicine
  • University of Pittsburgh
  • Boston University School of Medicine
  • University of Michigan Medical School
  • Emory University School of Medicine
  • Brown University - Warren Alpert Medical School
  • University of Massachusetts T.H. Chan School of Medicine
  • UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine
  • Tufts University School of Medicine
  • University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
  • Georgetown University School of Medicine
  • University of Connecticut School of Medicine
  • Wake Forest School of Medicine
  • University of Vermont College of Medicine
  • Tulane University School of Medicine
  • Albany Medical College

Really hoping for feedback on what I can improve and school list. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You should add Carle Illinois to your list.
Thanks.

I'm a little concerned my school list may be top heavy with the 514 (if I can't improve) even with 3.9 in BME. Thoughts?

Thanks.

I'm a little concerned my school list may be top heavy with the 514 (if I can't improve) even with 3.9 in BME. Thoughts?
Yes, your list it top heavy so you could add some more schools such as:
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Jefferson
Western Michigan

If you were a Texas resident, I would definitely look up the ENMED program at Texas A&M. You can see if they would still consider you.
I'll add to this and mention that I believe you can apply to EnMed using the AMCAS application, so you wouldn't have to fill out TMDSAS just to apply to this school. EnMed is a special track of Texas A&M med school, is based in Houston, and leads to a Masters of Engineering + MD degree.

Reactions: 1 user