WAMC 3.92 512

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anon717

Reaction score
1. cGPA: 3.92 and sGPA: 3.85
2. MCAT: 512 (130, 125, 130, 127)
3. Iowa resident but grew up in Illinois
4. White
5. The University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign - Biology and Psychology majors with Chemistry and Spanish minors
6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) Nursing Assistant in an ICU: 82 hours - just started.
7. Research experience and productivity: 300 hours in neuroscience lab over summers
8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:

Pediatric cardiologist: 5 hours
Psychiatrist: 16 hours
Orthopedic surgeon: 5 hours

9. Non-clinical volunteering:

Blood drive: 85 hours
Hospital guest house: 64 hours
Foodbank: 30 hours
Shelter for Latinx immigrants: just started ~10 hours. Helps me speak Spanish and translate. I take people to their appointments and work around the house
Boy Scout Assistant Scoutmaster: just started. I've wanted to get back into scouting after graduating from University. I'm an Eagle Scout and had a great experience with scouts growing up.

10. Other extracurricular activities:

Getting a Masters of Public Health. I'm very interested in working with immigrant Spanish-speaking communities. I think the Public Health degree will get me more acquainted with this sector as well as learning more about public health.

I know I should get my application in as soon as possible, but I think I could use some extra hours/stories from the Nursing Assistant position. When is the best time for me to submit my application?

School list (please provide suggestions):

Tulane
Brown
Emory
Carver
Loyola
Dartmouth
SLU
Creighton
Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel
Tufts
Colorado
Georgetown
George Wash
Eastern Virginia
Kimmel Thomas Jefferson
Wake Forest
Albert Einstein
Utah
Arizona
Rush
Alabama
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Vermont
NYMC
Thoughts? I am a reapplicant and only interviewed at Iowa. This is a rough draft of a list. As I said, I don't want to put off my application too much. I also do not want to take another year off, so let me know if I have enough "guarantee schools." Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your low shadowing and clinical volunteering hours will limit your chances for interviews. Schools such as Rush, Loyola, St. Louis, Creighton. Georgetown are looking for applicants that have many more clinical exposure hours than you have.You also have several state public schools that accept few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Iowa
U Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Tulane
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
As a reapplicant you should also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
CUSOM

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for taking the time to look through my application. Do you suggest I wait until the end of June to get more nursing assistant hours? I could squeeze in another shadowing or two. You gave me a very good school list, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for taking the time to look through my application. Do you suggest I wait until the end of June to get more nursing assistant hours? I could squeeze in another shadowing or two. You gave me a very good school list, thanks.
Yes, another 100+ hours clinical experience would help at the schools I listed.

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome, thanks a lot.
AMCAS allows you to project hours up until the start date of matriculation. It is not necessary to wait if you have a story based on clinical hours you already have and expect to continue the clinical position. See the AMCAS guide for filling out the Activities section.

Yeah if you can really accumulate significant clinical hours in a couple of weeks then maybe wait until you submit. But I wouldn’t wait past mid-late June.

In terms of your school list, Faha has given a good one. You should definitely replace some of those OOS public schools such as Alabama, Arizona, West Virginia with better options.