WAMC - 3.94, 521 @ state school - founded software startup

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GucciBen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
State/Country of Residence: Illinois
ORM: So white it hurts to look at me
Year in School:
Graduating with a B.S. in Dec 2020 (Rising Senior grad in 3.5 years). Unimpressive State School - I did not make an effort in HS, which I have regretted since.​
Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Major in Molecular and Cellular Biology. Significant coursework (for fun) in CS + full calculus sequence
cGPA: 3.94​
sGPA: 4.00​
MCAT Score: 521 (130/130/131/130) **I studied around 4 weeks total due to distraction from my startup. Really unsure how I got this score. Should I mention this in my secondaries / interview? Most people seem to study much longer, I wonder how much better I could've done**
Research Experience:
3 years in the same lab working studying cellular biology/metabolism, ~1143 hours. Leading independent project and working towards first-author manuscript, hoping to submit to a medium-impact journal in early Fall. Winner of a $5000 merit-based named fellowship​
Publications/Abstracts/Posters:
Working on the manuscript mentioned above, fourth author on PLOS pathogens. Have THREE papers with significant contribution (3rd author on all) that are in limbo. Presented at three school-level poster conferences.​
Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):
189 hours as volunteer hospice caregiver around 4+ different clinics (hopefully AMCAS can verify... nobody recorded hours)​
Shadowing:
120 hours with a couple of different doctors. Specifically in interventional radiology​
Non-Clinical Volunteering:
22 hours in non-clinical hospice​
72 hours in health-tech startup, working with LCSWs for dementia caregiver support​

Other Extracurricular Activities:
600 hours: Taught myself how to code on open source projects​
2246 hours: Founded an app-based startup. Now I am CEO, lead a team of 4 + 3 interns. 1500-2500 more hours projected working full-time spring​
^ some hard-hitting stuff about mental health + hospice that I talk about here. Saving it for an interview, because it's a touchy topic​
2715 hours: Bodybuilding. Competition cancelled due to COVID, not sure if I'll have the time to compete soon :(.​
^ have an interesting story about losing 100lbs prior to this in HS that I'm saving for interviews. Changed my life.​

Awards:
$1,000 merit scholarship for hospice work​
$5,000 named fellowship for research​
$2,500 entrepreneurship merit scholarship​
$10,000 business funding (top 11 from 72 applied)​
$1,000 award for best startup pitch in campus competition​
NSF I-corps Fellow​
Dean's list every semester​
Honors concentration in major (1 of 24 students selected from major / year)​
Gonna get magna cum laude, not that it matters​
There's like 4 or 5 campus "student highlight" articles about me -- didn't list it on my app, but seems abnormal IMO. At least my school thinks I'm cool​

Other Employment History: Paid research assistant freshman year for around 140 hrs.
Immediate family members in medicine?: No
Specialty of Interest (if applicable): I want to go into neurology, specifically conducting research + implantation of brain-machine interfaces. Companies like Neuralink / Kernal. I was into this before Musk made it cool :p
Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): N
Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): N

School List:

I have weird career goals and only think I can truly fulfill them at (1) Stanford or (2) Yale (I want a research-heavy education with some degree of freedom). Not sure if I'm up to snuff, though. I got really distracted with this startup when it began to explode. Interested where else I should apply if I'm not 100% on practicing medicine, but want to work in the medical startup field. I don't care if I don't get paid much, it's more interesting to me, personally. Carle-Illinois seems interesting, but I don't know bunch about them and I kinda want to get away from this cold state. Dumb reason, but it's starting to get to me.​

TL;DR: Unimpressive school, weird application, weird career goals. Help?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you considered Harvard Med's HST (technology) track?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Have you considered Harvard Med's HST (technology) track?
I have considered them but coming from a state school, I feel so incredibly limited. My numbers aren't impressive and it's looking like I'll only have one fourth-author publication to my name. I truly do not think I am Harvard material, but would be so incredibly excited if they gave me a chance. Their alumn in machine learning are particularly impressive, I know I'd love to speak with the professors + students there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have considered them but coming from a state school, I feel so incredibly limited. My numbers aren't impressive and it's looking like I'll only have one fourth-author publication to my name. I truly do not think I am Harvard material, but would be so incredibly excited if they gave me a chance. Their alumn in machine learning are particularly impressive, I know I'd love to speak with the professors + students there.

I don't know any alums or professors there but you might try going to the Harvard Medical School specific subforum under "Allopathic Medical Schools" to ask around.

Do you meet their special course requirements? If I recall correctly, 2 semesters of calculus based physics, linear algebra and differential equations. It's set forth on their website.

• Care
I don't know any alums or professors there but you might try going to the Harvard Medical School specific subforum under "Allopathic Medical Schools" to ask around.

Do you meet their special course requirements? If I recall correctly, 2 semesters of calculus based physics, linear algebra and differential equations. It's set forth on their website.
Appreciate the info :)
I never took linalg or diffiQ, was never interested. Looks like it's coming to bite me again. I'm competent in CS discrete data structures and all throughout calc, but don't have the course credits to show for it. I'm not sure I can convince an adcom that I'm a quick learner. I'll look into it, and I appreciate you for helping out a newcomer to this forum!

Appreciate the info :)
I never took linalg or diffiQ, was never interested. Looks like it's coming to bite me again. I'm competent in CS discrete data structures and all throughout calc, but don't have the course credits to show for it. I'm not sure I can convince an adcom that I'm a quick learner. I'll look into it, and I appreciate you for helping out a newcomer to this forum!

It appears that Harvard HST has now watered down the math requirement to recommend (not necessarily) require linear algebra and differential equations.

There's this thread from the physician scientist subforum about melding computer science and medical school:

I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Illinois
SIU
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Washington University
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Cornell
Columbia
Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt
Emory
Yale
Harvard
Stanford
USC Keck
Kaiser

• Care
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Illinois
SIU
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Washington University
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Cornell
Columbia
Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt
Emory
Yale
Harvard
Stanford
USC Keck
Kaiser
Appreciate this - are you familiar with any specific programs that allow a little bit more freedom when it comes to academics + research for non-physician MDs? Yale stands out to be as the best, by far - but I'm interested, do more schools have programs like this? I know at least UT Austin, U Illinois, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Pitt, and Duke have more freedom.

Really interested in doing translational work in CS + Engineering. I'm thinking like Harvard's HST or Pitt's PSTP. Some good info here for anyone in a similar situation

Last edited:
Carle Illinois is the school to look into if you are interested in engineering. I do not know the specifics for other schools.