WAMC 3.945 cGPA, 3.915 sGPA, 515 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Contek

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these OOS schools:
Boston University
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pitt
Case Western
Cincinnati
Virginia Commonwealth
Duke
Miami
Tulane
St. Louis
Mayo (AZ)

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these OOS schools:
Boston University
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pitt
Case Western
Cincinnati
Virginia Commonwealth
Duke
Miami
Tulane
St. Louis
Mayo (AZ)

Thank you for your reply and suggestions!

Members don't see this ad :)
  • Year in school: 3rd year, Junior at a top UC
  • Country/state of residence: CA
  • Ethnicity/Race: Asian (1st gen college student, considered socioeconomically disadvantaged)
  • Schools to which you are applying: UCs, need help with the out-of-states
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.945
  • Science GPA: 3.915
  • MCAT Scores: 515 (132/125/130/128)
  • Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc): 3 poster presentations in 2 labs, ~300 hours in science lab, ~300 hours in psych lab (continuing senior year so will have more)
  • Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites: 350 hours hospital intern in an ICU and oncology unit, currently 60 hours at a clinic for the underserved (will be 100+ senior year)
  • Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties: 60 hours M.D. vascular cardiologist, 40 hours D.O. family medicine
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 100+ hours Habitat for Humanity - at home, 50+ hours Habitat for Humanity - school organization (will be racking up many more hours senior year), many hours assisting at family restaurant business since a young age
  • Extracurricular activities: 10-12 hours/wk powerlifting (won 1st place at a regional competition), volunteer judge at history competitions for K-12 (was very involved during high school having competed at the national level)
  • Employment history: 60 hours tutoring underserved high school students, 50 hours notetaker for disabled undergraduate students
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): N
I will definitely be applying to the UCs and many out-of-states; however, I'm unsure as to which out-of-state schools fit my statistics best. I don't know how far from my MCAT score should I be applying to (would aiming for a school with a 517-520 median be too out of reach?).

Additionally, I would appreciate any advice on weaknesses in my app.

Thank you!
I suggest:

U VA
U MI (maybe)
Case
Mayo
Mt Sinai (maybe)
U VM
U IA
U Toledo
USF Morsani
OH State
UCF
U Cincy
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
CUSM
ALL UCs, but UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire

I suggest:

U VA
U MI (maybe)
Case
Mayo
Mt Sinai (maybe)
U VM
U IA
U Toledo
USF Morsani
OH State
UCF
U Cincy
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
CUSM
Goro, what is your methodology for picking a school list like you just did? Anyone can check MCAT/GPA's for schools on MSAR, but what other factors are you looking for, and how do you know which schools will be fit for the candidate?

thanks

Goro, what is your methodology for picking a school list like you just did? Anyone can check MCAT/GPA's for schools on MSAR, but what other factors are you looking for, and how do you know which schools will be fit for the candidate?

thanks
I start with MCAT and GPAs, and more importantly, 10-90th %iles and state of residence. Yes, anyone can look at MSAR, but the problem is too many naive people just focus, mothlike to a flame, on medians OR the lowest numbers, and they end up applying to totally inappropriate schools.

OR, people DON'T don't bother look at MSAR!

Feedback from successful SDNers is also taken into account.

I start with MCAT and GPAs, and more importantly, 10-90th %iles and state of residence. Yes, anyone can look at MSAR, but the problem is too many naive people just focus, mothlike to a flame, on medians OR the lowest numbers, and they end up applying to totally inappropriate schools.

OR, people DON'T don't bother look at MSAR!

Feedback from successful SDNers is also taken into account.
Yup, I tend to think "if I'm below the median, I'm roasted for that school" but better to focus on 10-90th.

I suggest:

U VA
U MI (maybe)
Case
Mayo
Mt Sinai (maybe)
U VM
U IA
U Toledo
USF Morsani
OH State
UCF
U Cincy
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Nova MD
CUSM

Thank you for the list of schools; I truly appreciate it and will go through each and trim it down accordingly