WAMC: 3.96 cGPA, 511 MCAT, somwhat nontraditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Don___john

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't really know what to think. I am strongly considering a gap year, but will most likely work as a software engineer (not at an incredible company either) and get some clinical experience part-time (I want a scribe job, but they are competitive, so I am considering being a CNA alongside volunteer work). What is the likelihood I get in with this background (I think the GPA is misleading since I have been told my academic record is inconsistent).

Region/State: Georgia
Race: Asian Male
Major: Computer Science
cGPA: 3.96
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 511
**Note: I have been told my academic record is inconsistent since I have 1 W and my course load was as follows:
12 credits, 17 credits, (summer) 7 credits, (1 W) 13 credits, 18 credits, (summer) 9 credits + job, 15 credits, (spring) 6 credits, (summer) 7 credits, 18 credits, 9 credits

Non-clinical experience:
500 hours tutoring underserved (foreign born, lower socioeconomic status) high school students
200 hours intro to biology TA
500 hours paid research (REU) on computational biology project
300 hours unpaid research also involving computational biology (I will do my thesis on this project)

Clinical experience:
100 hours volunteering at local hospital

Notable experience:
100 hours computer science project for my undergrad's med school (application physicians use in interactions with patients)
50 hours other computer science project that is healthcare related

Shadowing:
50 hours shadowing

*No outstanding awards outside of dean's list, summa cum laude (is this a red flag)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't really know what to think. I am strongly considering a gap year, but will most likely work as a software engineer (not at an incredible company either) and get some clinical experience part-time (I want a scribe job, but they are competitive, so I am considering being a CNA alongside volunteer work). What is the likelihood I get in with this background (I think the GPA is misleading since I have been told my academic record is inconsistent).

**Note: I have been told my academic record is inconsistent since I have 1 W and my course load was as follows:
12 credits, 17 credits, (summer) 7 credits, (1 W) 13 credits, 18 credits, (summer) 9 credits + job, 15 credits, (spring) 6 credits, (summer) 7 credits, 18 credits, 9 credits

Non-clinical experience:
500 hours tutoring underserved (foreign born, lower socioeconomic status) high school students
300 hours unpaid research also involving computational biology (I will do my thesis on this project)

Clinical experience:

Notable experience:
100 hours computer science project for my undergrad's med school (application physicians use in interactions with patients)

Shadowing:
50 hours shadowing

*No outstanding awards outside of dean's list, summa cum laude (is this a red flag)
Please break down your shadowing hours and service to others outside your tutoring. Other extracurriculars that you do for leisure or to understand other cultures that are not your own? Any networking with students and schools not at your home medical school? Breakdown of biomedical science classes taken?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

My shadowing hours include; 20 hours cardiothoracic surgery, 15 hours radiology, and 15 hours neurology.

My service to others outside of my tutoring includes:
- volunteering to play games with/provide general comfort to hospitalized children
- following/helping out nurses in radiology and the emergency department with non-clinical tasks (cleaning, filing paperwork, etc.).

I have not taken on any extracurriculars other than the ones mentioned above.

I have also not networked with students/schools not at my home medical school.

I have taken all premed requisites (Chem, Bio, Phys, Ochem, Biochem, Soc, Psyc (high school credit))

Members don't see this ad :)
My shadowing hours include; 20 hours cardiothoracic surgery, 15 hours radiology, and 15 hours neurology.

My service to others outside of my tutoring includes:
- volunteering to play games with/provide general comfort to hospitalized children
- following/helping out nurses in radiology and the emergency department with non-clinical tasks (cleaning, filing paperwork, etc.).

I have not taken on any extracurriculars other than the ones mentioned above.

I have also not networked with students/schools not at my home medical school.

I have taken all premed requisites (Chem, Bio, Phys, Ochem, Biochem, Soc, Psyc (high school credit))
EC: so no leadership experience or club activities, including anything related to your major, your ethnicity, or your religious beliefs?

Biomed coursework: so only prereqs and no other biomedical electives like cell biology, microbiologist, anatomy, physiology, immunology, or histology?

Shadowing: primary care or family medicine? What is listed are specialties and I'll let others comment on that.

Why medicine and not computer science? You seem very accomplished in CS and we need people at the interface of health care, IT, and AI.

ECs: I was the Vice President of the club that allowed me to tutor the underserved high school students and I was the group lead on the CS project I did with the med school, but outside of that I got nothing.

I only took the premed requisites.

I have not shadowed in family medicine or pediatric specialties.

I believe medicine would be more emotionally fulfilling while allowing for the problem solving and novelty that attracted me to CS.

Any thoughts on whether I should apply?

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
Emory
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU-UNT

EC: so no leadership experience or club activities, including anything related to your major, your ethnicity, or your religious beliefs?

Biomed coursework: so only prereqs and no other biomedical electives like cell biology, microbiologist, anatomy, physiology, immunology, or histology?

Shadowing: primary care or family medicine? What is listed are specialties and I'll let others comment on that.

Why medicine and not computer science? You seem very accomplished in CS and we need people at the interface of health care, IT, and AI.

what would you recommend I do in a gap year?

Non-clinical experience:

Clinical experience:

Notable experience:

Shadowing:
50 hours shadowing

The lack of ECs is lethal. Your app screams computer science not Medicine. Get in another 100 hrs patient contact experience, and 200 hrs service to others. And for the latter, nothing to do with tech, either.

Reactions: 1 user