MD & DO WAMC - (3.96 sGPA, 3.97 cGPA, 504 Practice FL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

u_raptor

Victim of the Mayo bamboozle
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am currently trying to figure out whether there are areas I need to be improving in come app time in May. I am a little worried my ECs are too "cookie cutter" or that there is something I may be missing. While I am taking the MCAT in April, I have taken a Kaplan FL and plan to continue studying hard through to the test date. Also these hours are taking into account estimated volunteering through to May.

Stats
- cGPA: 3.97 sGPA: 3.96
- MCAT: Currently have only done a practice MCAT (taking in April). My first FL I got a 504 (125/128/126/125), also if it is important this was a Kaplan FL which I heard can *sometimes* be harder than the real deal. I am starting to ramp up studying w/ practice tests (already done w/ content review, and am taking a class), and hope to get a 510 (or at least be happy with that as a score). I started content review in November.
- URM if that is important (Hispanic).
- NC Resident

Clinical:
- 200 Hospital hours
- 84 clinic hours in free clinic that served poor/under-served communities.

Non-Clinical
- 150 hours volunteering as a judge for HS debate tournaments.
- 140 hours as a private tutor in organic chem.

Research
- Over 720 hours in a oncology and toxicology lab. First author on a poster, third author on two others. Also hoping to be third or second author on a paper that should be published by May.

Shadowing
- 45 hours shadowing primarily a pediatrician, but about 12 hours shadowing a reconstructive surgeon (for health related reasons, not plastics).

Leadership & Awards
- President of my school's history club
- President of a faith related club
- Awarded a summer Undergrad research grant (which led to the poster)

Other
- I also went on a medical trip to Peru, with 45 hours in a rural clinic, and 12 hours of shadowing various specialties. I know some don't agree with it but I plan on volunteering abroad later in life and will be tying it into both heritage and future hopeful plans to give back if I mention it. So I used it as a way of seeing how it would be in the future, and as a possibility of giving back to my heritage in a way. Still unsure if I will end up mentioning it however.
- I know I will have two solid LORs from my PI and from my volunteering with debate tournaments. I still need to find some science faculty however....

School List
I currently only have a preliminary school list based on MCAT and GPA stats, and would love to hear feedback. I included all state schools except Duke since I highly doubt I would make it in LOL. I am interested in both MD and DO.
ECU/Brody
UNC
Wake Forest
Campbell DO
UVA
VCU
Virginia Tech/Carilion
West Virgnia
U. South Carolina Charleston
U. South Carolina Columbia
U. TN Memphis
Med College of Georgia Augusta
Miami
U Illinois
Alabama
Louisville
Lincoln Memorial DO
Edward Via DO
Liberty DO

Thanks so much for any feedback, let me know if I am missing any info!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean the WAMC guidelines on here did say to use a practice FL if you have yet to take the actual MCAT. I was just trying to stay ahead of the curve and see where I need to improve on considering what my score might look like...

Wreck the MCAT, get some underserved volunteering and you’ll be golden. I can’t speak on your school list but if you get above a 506 on the real deal I wouldn’t apply DO, It’s a complete other app

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! Not 100% sure where I could get it just yet but I'll look around. I always thought DO was a safe thing to apply for in addition?

Thanks for the advice! Not 100% sure where I could get it just yet but I'll look around. I always thought DO was a safe thing to apply for in addition?
Only if you’re borderline or really like their mission. But if you’re URM with your GPA you don’t have much to worry about. Just focus on the MCAT

I would suggest more volunteer hours in a non-clinical area. If you get anything over a 510 MCAT you are set for MD. In terms of DO I would suggest to reconsider your choices. KCU, Des Moines, PCOM, CCOM, AT-STILL would be better choices given your academics. I believe the average MCAT for all those schools is around 505 which is higher than the other DO schools, they also have very good reputations.