WAMC? (3.98/523)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koffee_katt

Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if I could get any input on whether I should apply this year or wait?
  1. 3.98 cGPA/ 3.97 sGPA
  2. 523 MCAT (129/130/132/132)
  3. [redacted]
  4. ORM
  5. State school for undergrad
  6. 200 [redacted], 200 hours misc hospital volunteering (main clinical experiences)
  7. 350 hours research in a basic science/microbio lab, 150 hours research in a epidemiology lab (interviewing participants for a substance use study)
  8. ~40 hours virtual shadowing in many specialties, primary care shadowing planned for the summer but not completed at the time of application
  9. 300 hours volunteering with children with disabilities (non clinical), 120 hours volunteering for a non profit youth substance abuse education organization
  10. [redacted] a lot of campus involvement and leadership, 3 semesters of TA-ing
  11. Relevant honors or awards - none really that i'm mentioning on my application
  12. [redacted]
  13. LORs: 2 science, 1 non science, 1 PI, 1 character (5 total)
I'm mainly wondering whether my lack of in person shadowing at the time of my application will totally tank my chances or if schools will be more understanding about COVID, since I was a sophomore when the pandemic first started?

School list (looking to add 5-6 more schools)
- UF
- UM
-UCF
- FSU
-FIU
-NOVA
- USF
- FAU
- Case Western
- OSU
- Emory
- Michigan
- Chicago (?)
- Northwestern(?)

@Goro @Faha

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The point of clinical experience/shadowing is to be able to gain an insight into the profession; if you can convincingly convey that in essays and interviews, then you're good. Some schools may dislike a lack of in person shadowing, some may not care, it's hard to say - but with an otherwise very strong application like yours, I highly doubt it makes or breaks. You can talk up the physician interactions during your other clinical experiences. You could also do shadowing during the year and update/speak about it in interviews.

Your list so far is fine, definitely apply to all Florida schools - they are a good safety base for you. Chicago and Northwestern are completely in play as well. I'd add some more of the research powerhouses and aim to have around 20 total.

Look into:
WashU (they love high stats)
Pitt
Rochester
Einstein
Cornell
Sinai
Columbia
NYU
Cincinnati
Penn
Vanderbilt
Duke

etc.

Reactions: 1 users
You are fine to apply next week. You could add any of these schools:
Washington University (almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Vanderbilt
Duke
Harvard
Yale
Brown
UCSF

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You are fine to apply next week. You could add any of these schools:
Washington University (almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Vanderbilt
Duke
Harvard
Yale
Brown
UCSF
The point of clinical experience/shadowing is to be able to gain an insight into the profession; if you can convincingly convey that in essays and interviews, then you're good. Some schools may dislike a lack of in person shadowing, some may not care, it's hard to say - but with an otherwise very strong application like yours, I highly doubt it makes or breaks. You can talk up the physician interactions during your other clinical experiences. You could also do shadowing during the year and update/speak about it in interviews.
Okay got it!! Thank you so much - I'll continue to update shadowing experiences in my secondaries and interviews I guess! and thanks for the school suggestions!!